Dog Ticks Invasion - Need Help !

I have never heard of Tick injections. How are they compared to frontline? Are they recommended? 120 baht every 3 months sounds cheaper than frontline, thats for sure.

Speaking of Frontline, can anyone recommend where the cheapest place is in Chiang Mai to buy it? Does anybody recommend any of the cheaper brands, or is it best to buy the real thing?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget frontline & heardguard. use Ivermectin (Ivermec 10ml for 60-90 Baht). Every 2 weeks 0,5ml/15kg (dogs weight) and your problems gone fast away.

I use it nowmore then 2 years for my 5 dogs!!!

Is this in those little brown vials/bottles? Do you mix it with water and then apply it? Could you please give me more details? Thanks

Forget frontline & heardguard. use Ivermectin (Ivermec 10ml for 60-90 Baht). Every 2 weeks 0,5ml/15kg (dogs weight) and your problems gone fast away.

I use it nowmore then 2 years for my 5 dogs!!!

Is this in those little brown vials/bottles? Do you mix it with water and then apply it? Could you please give me more details? Thanks

I's 40 Baht per bottle at the pet shop near the PTT gas station past Meechok Plaza (on the same side of the Mae Jo Road).

You don't apply it. You inject it. We inject our dog every few weeks. The ticks are poisoned from the drug in the dogs blood. They die and you comb them out. Very effective and cheap.

You don't mix it. In normal it's for injection for cows & pigs. It give different size bottles. But because the big ones (50ml/200ml) are not really cheaper I buy the small one (10ml) all the time.

My dogs like it more if I give it oral with the food!!! At normaly you give once at month 1ml/15kg dog weight. I give 2 times the month 0,5ml/15kg. And it help great.

Here are some information about give oral and don't injection: http://www.vet.chula.../v312/F3122.pdf

The bottles look like this:

222347_1.jpg

ivermec_plus.jpg

50ml Bottle

Edited by snowgard

Does anybody knows if "Detick" , which apparently is a generic thai version of Front Line, or another one in an identical little bottle called "Flip Tick & Flea" can just be given mixed with food? they are the only 2 products available at the local Vet, which also told me to just "rub" the liquid on the dogs rather than injecting it?? i have some serious doubt on this particulary veterinary after the suggested application method, however i am not an expert in this kind of things and i might be under the wrong impression.

Does anybody knows if "Detick" , which apparently is a generic thai version of Front Line, or another one in an identical little bottle called "Flip Tick & Flea" can just be given mixed with food? they are the only 2 products available at the local Vet, which also told me to just "rub" the liquid on the dogs rather than injecting it?? i have some serious doubt on this particulary veterinary after the suggested application method, however i am not an expert in this kind of things and i might be under the wrong impression.

There are different types of Frontline, but the concentrated one it a little bottle can NOT be eatten. It is made to spread around the skin with the dog's natural oils. It would not work by having the dog eat it, and could very likely harm or kill the dog. BUT maybe you are talking about another type. Just be very sure before feeding it to your dog.

You don't mix it. In normal it's for injection for cows & pigs. It give different size bottles. But because the big ones (50ml/200ml) are not really cheaper I buy the small one (10ml) all the time.

My dogs like it more if I give it oral with the food!!! At normaly you give once at month 1ml/15kg dog weight. I give 2 times the month 0,5ml/15kg. And it help great.

Here are some information about give oral and don't injection: http://www.vet.chula.../v312/F3122.pdf

222347_1.jpg

ivermec_plus.jpg

50ml Bottle

Thanks for the detailed info. Its certainly a much cheaper way to go than Frontline. I'll have to talk to my vet about it. She just got her 3 month heart shot (same thing, Ivermectin) so that will sort out her ticks for 1 month. Then I need to decide what to do in the long run. I wouldn't be willing to give her a shot every 2 or 4 weeks but adding it to the food doesn't seem bad if its effective. My Shih Tzu is only 6kg so it would be challenging to measure so little!

We had a terrible tick infestation at home... We finally got it under control by finding a company called Nano White.. They sprayed the house and garden with a non toxic chemical and within 7 days No Ticks ! It cost 5000 baht and is a year contract that says if you have ticks again at anytime during that month they will reapply or give refund.. The guy who sprayed for us said he never has to visit a house more than once every six months.. If anyone is interested I can post the telephone number later ... Cheers

We had a terrible tick infestation at home... We finally got it under control by finding a company called Nano White.. They sprayed the house and garden with a non toxic chemical and within 7 days No Ticks ! It cost 5000 baht and is a year contract that says if you have ticks again at anytime during that month they will reapply or give refund.. The guy who sprayed for us said he never has to visit a house more than once every six months.. If anyone is interested I can post the telephone number later ... Cheers

If you use consequently Ivermectin you don't get a tick problem and save a lot of money!!! :)

• 2 months later...

I'm not that happy with Frontline. Thinking about switching to Ivermectin, just to see if it's more effective. Not a cost issue. But I do reckon you could easily spend 1 hour a day or more dealing with ticks, and that's too much in my book.

I apply Frontline once a month and have also been using Frontline spray just on the ears (does Frontline also "flow" up and cover the skin on the face/ears?)

I have not experienced the "apply Frontline and watch ticks fall off after 30 minutes".

Something that seems to achieve this is having her lie on the bed, on some white linen with the air con on. Next morning the bed is filled with them.

Does the cold air make them drop or am I making stuff up here?

Spraying the house and cleaning thoroughly is all well and good, but she does not live in a hermetically sealed environment and she does get out for walks. Plenty of opportunity for ticks to attach themselves.

The types of ticks seem to change: spiderlike, beetlelike, tiny, brown, black, big fat females...etc. etc.

She's now got really thick hair and it's nigh impossible to spot the smaller ones and even the medium ones. I don't expect 100% eradication, and I don't even think it's natural for a dog to be "tick free" but I do yearn for a sense of being in control of the issue.

Does the tick season/issue subside at some point?

Other options than Ivermectin (Preventic collar?)

Tick powder - what's the score?

Do the ticks react to cold air and drop off?

Do you have any magic anti-tick tips to share, perhaps specifically for a Golden?

BTW, I'm not saying Frontline doesn't help, but the fact is I see ticks attaching themselves and staying on her in large numbers so I don't see it as very effective.

I found a couple of ticks on my two dogs a few weeks ago. Meant to get Frontline but ended up waiting a few days too long. The result? I got bit by a tick and developed lyme disease. Fun. I actually caught the tick when she was biting me but didn't think much of it. A few days later, I start getting sick and end up going to Bumrungrad. Blood test confirms that I have lyme disease. Fortunately, it was very early stage and at that time it can be completely cured/cleared with antibiotics and a bunch of other pills. So I'm fine now. But let it be a lesson on how serious a tick problem can be. If you have kids at home, I'd be really concerned.

Of course, rushed to the vet and got Frontline for my dogs. Ticks are now gone. Just need to make sure I keep up with the dosage every month. The dogs also take monthly heartworm-prevention medicine (a chewable tablet), so it's just a question of adding one more thing to the schedule!

If you still have ticks after using Frontline, remember that it might take a couple of months for them to disappear. You might be killing the big ones but the eggs might still be around, so you need to wait a bit. Also, you're not supposed to let your dog get wet (rain/bath/swimming) for three days before and after applying Frontline or that might reduce its effectiveness.

Edited by Taro

I found a couple of ticks on my two dogs a few weeks ago. Meant to get Frontline but ended up waiting a few days too long. The result? I got bit by a tick and developed lyme disease. Fun. I actually caught the tick when she was biting me but didn't think much of it. A few days later, I start getting sick and end up going to Bumrungrad. Blood test confirms that I have lyme disease. Fortunately, it was very early stage and at that time it can be completely cured/cleared with antibiotics and a bunch of other pills. So I'm fine now. But let it be a lesson on how serious a tick problem can be. If you have kids at home, I'd be really concerned.

Of course, rushed to the vet and got Frontline for my dogs. Ticks are now gone. Just need to make sure I keep up with the dosage every month. The dogs also take monthly heartworm-prevention medicine (a chewable tablet), so it's just a question of adding one more thing to the schedule!

If you still have ticks after using Frontline, remember that it might take a couple of months for them to disappear. You might be killing the big ones but the eggs might still be around, so you need to wait a bit. Also, you're not supposed to let your dog get wet (rain/bath/swimming) for three days before and after applying Frontline or that might reduce its effectiveness.

Yeah, my girl is currently on the same routine. I thought Lyme Disease was not that common in Thailand? Obviously not. Have to re-check with the vet.

I think I could have been bitten a dozen times already, but never gave it much thought. Was there blood coming out from the tick bite?

I'm happy Frontline is working for you, but it just isn't cutting it for me. Initially, after month two, I thought it had helped a lot and we started to become a little sloppy with out tick combing, but recently they seem to have resurfaced in full force.

Edited by schmutzie

Maybe it's not very common and I'm just one of the unlucky 10 people who get it every year. No blood. I probably would've never realized it if it wasn't for the fact that I felt something walking on my neck and I actually caught the tick.

Hmm, I'm one of the few that occasionally will let my dog sleep in the bed. Needless to say, ticks are everywhere the next morning and I change the sheets and clean the bed room.

I'm pretty sure I've had a stingy sensation more than once, but I just never gave it serious thought. You have me a little worried. But not too much rolleyes.gif

Yeah, my dogs sleep inside too. Just be aware of it and see a doctor if you develop any symptoms (google lyme disease symptoms). If you catch it early, they'll just put you on antibiotics (and a couple of other things) and you'll be fine. Haven't found any ticks on my dogs lately, though, so it seems Frontline is working.

Yeah, my dogs sleep inside too. Just be aware of it and see a doctor if you develop any symptoms (google lyme disease symptoms). If you catch it early, they'll just put you on antibiotics (and a couple of other things) and you'll be fine. Haven't found any ticks on my dogs lately, though, so it seems Frontline is working.

ugh. ust had a tick invasion that seemed to have ended with a respite in the heat here; some eggs must of hatched as we have a zillion microscopic sized ticks everywhere, frontline is deemed useless already in israel. found that the oldfashioned powder like they sell in thailand in the animal feed and supply shops works best. every two or three days have to dust the dogs, and i put it under the sofas, and in their beds . (i dont have small children so no poison issues)... have removed endless ticks from me... btw they causing itching not stinging... and they itch till u get them off of u....

i also found that i can take scotch tape (cellotape) and stick up the babies from the sofa (we dont have a vacuum)... and hand check the dogs every day. they are clipped back lhasas but not shaved, so its hard work... waiting for winter to freeze the bastards... will then check dogs for tick fever . we dont have lymes disease but do have other things... dam_n i see one now on the wall... going to kill it............

bina

israel

Quote frontline is deemed useless already in israel Unquote. I gave up using it years ago in Thailand. A waste of money: not only expensive but useless.

neither is the flea powders that i can get in regular pet stores... i need the kind we used ot get for chickens, its a stronger percentage... did some research about types of ticks etc... am now going for the 'natural' rememdies so will let u all know if they work (lemons boiled inwater and sprayed on dog... ) we have seed ticks (baby ticks) everywhereon the walls. i dont have a vacuum cleaner and the cold spell here wont come round for yet a few months and anyways,, ticks stay alive for years without eating, and its not practical for me to have a guinea hen in the house :) ...

will also try lavender and rosemary oils on the sofas dog beds and under the beds...

everyone here is in the same problem ... non of the tick collars, non of the frontlines, non of the poweders are working and apprently, ticks feel/sense insecticides and move away from them and at certain stages, the chemicals dont work cause they dont ingest them... did a whole google tick session yesterday.... so just plucking them manually off the dogs twice a day... and off us also..... fortunately they are ticks from in the house so not worried about them being vectors..

:bah::bah::bah::bah::bah::bah:

• 1 month later...

222347_1.jpg

ivermec_plus.jpg

50ml Bottle

Thanks for the detailed info. Its certainly a much cheaper way to go than Frontline. I'll have to talk to my vet about it. She just got her 3 month heart shot (same thing, Ivermectin) so that will sort out her ticks for 1 month. Then I need to decide what to do in the long run. I wouldn't be willing to give her a shot every 2 or 4 weeks but adding it to the food doesn't seem bad if its effective. My Shih Tzu is only 6kg so it would be challenging to measure so little!

The tiny brown bottles sold at all the pet shops here are the same? I bought one once to give it a go, and put it on the back of one of my dog's neck, same as Frontline. No wonder it didn't work :-D!

If it is the same, I'd give it orally (sardines best, very strong taste). So, how much of one of those small brown bottles should I give a 20kg dog? Thankyou :-)

222347_1.jpg

ivermec_plus.jpg

50ml Bottle

The tiny brown bottles sold at all the pet shops here are the same? I bought one once to give it a go, and put it on the back of one of my dog's neck, same as Frontline. No wonder it didn't work :-D!

If it is the same, I'd give it orally (sardines best, very strong taste). So, how much of one of those small brown bottles should I give a 20kg dog? Thankyou :-)

first u should use a dieabetes insulin syringe, as they are measured in units not mml to get that small dose. u can do underskin or intramuscle injections just not on collies or collie mixbreeds.... but its hard to overdose in ivomec it has a high poison level indication ... better more then less as less is not effective and just creates resistance.(quoting my goat vets) - -do not ever inject horses with ivomec it will kill them. they have special cream ivomec dosers to be given orally only. ivomac orks on rabbits, and ferrets as well (0.003 units for a medium rabbit).

but btw, we are having a tick invasion that is impossible and also, by locations, different tics and not responding to any of the flea/tick stuff... ivomec being only partially effective...

went to one of my vets who recommended something new (here to israel) from the states, for horses (NOT CATS, PROBABLY NOT FOR SHEEP.GOATS EITHER) but for adult dogs and horses... its the same chemical compounds as the frontline etc, but the mix worked.! its expensive (here, 200 shekels for a liter spray bottle, can be bought in jerrycans for stables) can be used to wash floors (not in houses that have crawling infants) used in stable/kennel area... ti also has citronella in it, UV protection, omes in two kinds, one with alcohol which lasts ont he animal longer, and one w/o , delicate skin.

checked with a local shop that own lhasas. they also used it as they live,like us, in the rural areas that are affected by these resistant ticks and sand/horse flies. they used in on there (now) clipped show lhasas, ... so we did. i know i sound like an advert but my whole house was overrun by soft shelled and regular ticks and baby ticks.

first u should use a dieabetes insulin syringe, as they are measured in units not mml to get that small dose. u can do underskin or intramuscle injections just not on collies or collie mixbreeds.... but its hard to overdose in ivomec it has a high poison level indication ... better more then less as less is not effective and just creates resistance.(quoting my goat vets) - -do not ever inject horses with ivomec it will kill them. they have special cream ivomec dosers to be given orally only. ivomac orks on rabbits, and ferrets as well (0.003 units for a medium rabbit).

but btw, we are having a tick invasion that is impossible and also, by locations, different tics and not responding to any of the flea/tick stuff... ivomec being only partially effective...

I didn't ask how to extract the med, I asked 'are the small brown bottles sold in every pet supply shop the same '? And how much from said bottle to mix in a can of sardines (to hide taste) to give to a 20kg dog. I've no intention of injecting them. They got big teeth. haha.

Anyone?

Edited by bina
fonts size and quote...

no need for shouting, i heard u the first time...

u cannot know by 'littel brown bottle' what the dosage is. if the stuff is for injection, then the dosage u have to give is usually different than if the bottle of 'stuff' is meant initially for oral dosage. 10%? 30%? ivermac? and if u have a problem with your dogs big teeth then perhaps u should rethink keeping the dog. and the ivomac is more effective SQ.... and still need a syringe for measuring the dosage. and last but not least, the different brands adn slightly different types of ivermac are affective differently and need different dosages-- belgium and american brands being the best from personal experience from what we used on the goats. spanish brands seemed to be least effective.

u can always search the forum here we've posted a million times the dosages for dogs and the whole thing about ivermac...

the name of the spray i bought for anyonw interested in something other then ivermac btw, is: absorbine ultrashield x...... wonderfull stuff........... BUT MUST READ INSTRUCTIONS FIRST....bina

no need for shouting, i heard u the first time...

u cannot know by 'littel brown bottle' what the dosage is. if the stuff is for injection, then the dosage u have to give is usually different than if the bottle of 'stuff' is meant initially for oral dosage. 10%? 30%? ivermac? and if u have a problem with your dogs big teeth then perhaps u should rethink keeping the dog. and the ivomac is more effective SQ.... and still need a syringe for measuring the dosage. and last but not least, the different brands adn slightly different types of ivermac are affective differently and need different dosages-- belgium and american brands being the best from personal experience from what we used on the goats. spanish brands seemed to be least effective.

u can always search the forum here we've posted a million times the dosages for dogs and the whole thing about ivermac...

the name of the spray i bought for anyonw interested in something other then ivermac btw, is: absorbine ultrashield x...... wonderfull stuff........... BUT MUST READ INSTRUCTIONS FIRST....bina

I wasn't 'shouting' I simply used another font (where's all the 'bold'/'italics' gone?! ) to distinguish my very simple question, again, your long winded post not addressing my very simple question.

I find your sniping remark 'perhaps you should rethink keeping a dog' offensive and intrusive and in no way pertinent to my post.

Again. Anyone have simple answer to my simple question?

havent seen any takers yet.... however, the brown bottle is for cattle injections which means the percentage of actual ivoermac will be different for instance the white bottle which is 1.58 % (for oral only) which frankly ive never used. ive used the sheep/goat/cattle injectable... therefore, my long winded answer is once again long winded, because if u dont give all the pertinant info than u cant get an answer.

so to requote from an ancient post of mine:

use a 1-2 ml syringe (the kind used for insulin, as there u can see the microunits i.e. 0.004 units for instance, this is all less then one millileter.) to get the proper dosage... ivermec has a fairly high overdose level (meaning u dont have to be super perfect in measurement/dosage, and an other mistake people do is underdosing, which is completely inaffective... and remember that if u give it orally, often the animal shakes its head , spraying some of the ivermec back out agian (it is bitter and nasty tasting, yes ive tasted it, dont ask , it wasnt on purpsoe)...
Cattle/Horse Ivermectin use in dogs

IVERMECTIN USE IN DOGS

1% Ivomec Injectable (10 mg/ml) (NOT Ivomec Plus which is also labeled for Fluke worms).

1ml mixed with 9ml propylene glycol makes 10 mg in 10 ml (1,000 mcg/1ml)

American Livestock and Pet Supply, Inc. - Ivomec 1% Cattle and Swine

Durvet Pour On is 5 mg/ml (500 mcg/1ml). 2ml mixed with 8ml propylene glycol makes 10 mg in 10 ml (1,000 mcg/1ml)

Durvet Product Detail: IVERMECTIN POUR-ON

Heartgard dose is 0.003-0.006 mg/kg (3-6 mcg/kg)

High dose of 6 mcg/kg equals 2.72 mcg/pound.

Dosing formula: Weight of dog in pounds multiplied by 2.72 then divided by 1,000 equals the dose in mililiters. Or as I remember from school: Desired divided by Have multipliied by Solution.

Reference chart:

60 lb. = 0.16 ml of solution

65 lb. = 0.18 ml of solution

70 lb, = 0.19 ml of solution

75 lb. = 0.20 ml of solution

80 lb. = 0.22 ml of solution

85 lb. = 0.23 ml of solution

90 lb. = 0.24 ml of solution

95 lb. = 0.26 ml of solution

100 lb = 0.27 ml of solution

work it out. just remember if your dog came from over seas check for heartworm first or u will have medical problems with the dog... payattention to the pounds vs kilos when u do the division....

good luck.........bina

Took myself off to a local vet here on Phuket and he gave me a small blue pill for each dog @ 100 baht each and seems to be working so far. One tab per month.

Those small brown bottles are for the back of the neck same as Frontline and I found them to be useless the only time I'd tried it.

I have a Shi-Tzu + 2 Poodles, never a problems, all the doors are open all days and they go into the garden when they want..

Yak is 11.... Dada is 8....... Charlie the Shi-Tzu is almost 3, had all from pups.......... I take all 3 to the Vet for the Tick injections every 3 months..... went last week cost 120 baht per dog.

I trust when you remove the tick you DO NOT just pull them off ?? If you have not then go buy 90% [here can only find 70%] pure alcohol….. soak cotton bud and dab on tick… the tick will more or less fall off within seconds + leaves Nothing behind.

We had the same problem with ticks 20 years ago in Portugal, did the same, every 3 months tick injection……… When I first moved here Vets did not have the injection so bought outside Thailand and injected the dogs myself.

DO be sure to check your dog every day…….. friend 4 years ago lost 2 pedigree dogs to tick fever….. check between there toes + there pads + check there ears and use GREEN Care ear lotion on a cotton bud weekly

Things we have learned about applying anti-tick medications- When you apply the invermectin lotion ( such as Front-line) please wear plastic gloves, apply from back of head going down back of dog - where they cannot lick at it - and don't let your dog get wet for 3 days after application.

• 1 month later...

Folks,

I am getting quite confused with all the issues (types of tick/para) and suggested solutions. Need some help with a situation which all of a sudden, is desperate please.

Background : We have a Spitz female 5 years old. Been a house dog all her life. Lived in many places with no problems. Been in Phuket for the last year. Moved to a place close to a mountain/hill about 8 months ago. Due to soi dogs and other dogs and ticks, never take her outside. If out, only in the car.

Current desperation: Over the past 2 months, faced an onslaught of ticks/parasite. Hard to say what because they are in different stages and I can't get a straight answer from any vet. From almost invisible to my eye, to the red ticks, to a fly which seems to fly out of her coat when brushing her. Have tried at least 3 vets in Phuket..currently with the Ao Chalong animal hospital. She also has very sensitive skin and continues to have red abrasions. Now shaved her down almost 40% of her fur!

Having read this thread, I decided to try the following, mostly based on posts from Jayjayjayjay, snowgard and inmysights.

1. Buy the chemicals and follow process suggested by Jayjayjayjay and spray the whole house and garden. Any indications of a place to buy these in Phuket? I will also try to get the Preventic collar.

2. Buy Invermec lotion and use on her skin/coat. Any indications of a place to buy these in Phuket?

3. Continue with the current vet treatment (1 week now) from the Ao Chalong vet. Blue pill (antibiotic) 2xday, white pill 2xday to prevent her from itching. I am not convinced that these address the real problem!!

Any comments would be appreciated. Inmysights, any results from your treatment?

thanks

We got a rottweiler, when he he first arrived he had a huge one between his paws, I took the fuc_ker off, killed it. Started using frontline and so far no more ticks.

As some posters have said frontline needs to be put on his back from the neck down, then no water for 3 days, shower and rain....

Guess frontline is more of a preventive solution, if your dog is already infested harder actions are probably needed.

• 4 weeks later...