Football Comes First In Thaksin Trial

funfun

Football comes first in Thaksin trial

Thaksin Shinawatra

Leo Lewis in Tokyo

Thaksin Shinawatra will fly to Britain today after being granted leave to skip court appearances so that he can watch his beloved Manchester City in the final weeks of the Premier League.

The former Prime Minister of Thailand, who has pleaded not guilty to corruption charges, had appealed to the Supreme Court in Bangkok to be allowed to leave the country during the trial.

Mr Thaksin said: “I feel like they are losing so many games ... in the past three, four months while I am still busy, so I have to go back and tighten the bolt.”

City, who made a promising start to the season under the manager Sven-Göran Eriksson but slipped to midtable, will play Tottenham Hotspur this weekend.

Related Links

* Thaksin stuns Thailand return plans

* Eriksson undaunted by pressure on Thaksin

“That's the reason I have to go back,” said the billionaire telecoms tycoon. “That's my commitment to Manchester City.” His court appearance was routine, to deny all charges against him.

Mr Thaksin's sudden exit from Thailand comes 12 days after his spectacular return to Bangkok, when he received a hero's welcome from thousands of supporters, threats of mass demonstrations by his enemies and a wary glare from 10,000 police.

Permission for what will be a month-long visit to the UK was granted by the same Supreme Court that will try him in a case that was engineered by the organisers of the 2006 coup that chased Mr Thaksin from power.

Even facing serious criminal charges his presence in Thailand is, for the organisers of the coup, every bit as dangerous as his 17 months of exile in the UK and Hong Kong.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle3533602.ece

"was granted by the same Supreme Court that will try him" :o

It surely also shows that, despite the claims of some posters, the thai courts are very far from being 'in the pocket' of the former military junta, or of the previous government ?

Interesting too that Thaksin blames the poor showing of his club, over the past 3-4 months, on his having been distracted from taking a more-active management role. But it was surely his own decision, to visit Hong Kong or other places, during that time ? Does he perhaps accept any personal blame for his priorities, or for having neglected Man City, don't hold your breaths awaiting an apology ! :o

His "beloved" Man City???

thaksinDM_468x358.jpg

He's a parasite like the rest of the so-called fans that have no connection to the clubs they claim to support.

A slight aside, I think his name could be more accurately transliterated :

ทักษิณ

I reckon if you polled 100 soccer fans that they would pronounce his name more closely correct with tuksin as opposed to thaksin in the majority of cases.

Edited by kiakaha

Interesting too that Thaksin blames the poor showing of his club, over the past 3-4 months, on his having been distracted from taking a more-active management role. But it was surely his own decision, to visit Hong Kong or other places, during that time ? Does he perhaps accept any personal blame for his priorities, or for having neglected Man City, don't hold your breaths awaiting an apology ! :D

Typical self promotion platform.

Doing well - no one to thank but the square faced emperor.

Doing poorley - Look for a scapegoat or blame the invisible hand.

Needless to say - his supporters buy the BS hook, line and sinker. :o

I used to sympathise with City, especially after the past few tumultuous years, but now he owns them I want them to lose every single game they play regardless of the opposition.

I notice there are many Thais now claiming to 'support' them now. A few years of mid table mediocrity will soon drive them back to 'supporting' Man U or Liverpool.

Man City are the most popular political party in Thailand.Shin plays his tune to the masses(poor, uneducated) perfectly.After all, in a "democracy", it is the masses who put you in power .

I can't blame the guy in the least. If I had his money I would be doing exactly the same thing, a visit to Hong Kong, a trip to Beijing, come back home to Thailand for a couple of weeks and then go back to England - repeat the cycle every few months but fit in new destinations each time, wonderful life. I'm not sure about the Manchester City aspect but the variety and travel are to die for.

Interesting too that Thaksin blames the poor showing of his club, over the past 3-4 months, on his having been distracted from taking a more-active management role. But it was surely his own decision, to visit Hong Kong or other places, during that time ? Does he perhaps accept any personal blame for his priorities, or for having neglected Man City, don't hold your breaths awaiting an apology ! :D

Well it depends on the report you read - as it was said only a handful of reporters were invited to the coffee table meeting are they reporting first hand or just the words?

Reason I say this is Nirmal Ghosh in the Straits Times said Thaksin was joking when he alluded to the football team not doing well and he would have to "Tighten the bolts"

Which is true???????

Well it depends on the report you read - as it was said only a handful of reporters were invited to the coffee table meeting are they reporting first hand or just the words?

Reason I say this is Nirmal Ghosh in the Straits Times said Thaksin was joking when he alluded to the football team not doing well and he would have to "Tighten the bolts"

Which is true???????

Looks like the club is asking him for another 2Bil. Wonder if he'll cough up now all his cash cows are gone.

Link.

"Looks like the club is asking him for another 2Bil. Wonder if he'll cough up now all his cash cows are gone."

I thought you meant GBP at first there!!!! :o

30 Million GBP to spend at the summer is not that much - he might have his seized assets back by then as well.

There are other ways to raise money as well for players - securitization of future gate receipts is one way?

Other loans?

A champions league place plus EPL money is quite a bit coming in too - its said about 50 of revenue as a guide for players wages - depends on how the club is being run financially.

His "beloved" Man City???

thaksinDM_468x358.jpg

He's a parasite like the rest of the so-called fans that have no connection to the clubs they claim to support.

gee and people wonder why i cant get excited about football....

if owning a team is no connection, then certainly simply growing up near one and following the game is even less of a connection?

please define a real connection - bloody knuckles every weekend? a bottle upside the head? owning a pair of man city slippers (or slappers for that matter)?

and how could these so called fans actually be parasites if they buy tickets and mercahndise, watch the averts and support the game?

what do you reccommend to keep the fans genuine? Perhaps if each donates a kidney or testicle (as availabel) to prove their commitment.

Perhaps the real issue here is that thaksin is free to do as he pleases despite the criminal inquiry. i see it as an indicator that he will simply walk on the charges. that offends me more than your so-called fans.

I used to sympathise with City, especially after the past few tumultuous years, but now he owns them I want them to lose every single game they play regardless of the opposition.

And i hope all of your wishes and aspirations, turn to ashes also. :o

After having earned his fortune through the Thai people (actually, stolen would be a better word), he sells off a national asset, then pumps huge amounts of money into something on the other side of the world.

Then the bs maestro struts around telling the Thais to invest more in Thailand.

And i hope all of your wishes and aspirations, turn to ashes also. :o

mate, you and the fans should have never let such a scumbag finance your team.