New Shopping Mall

Strummer

Have been watching the construction on shopping row that is now exteded to bypass road for some time. Any reports and what do we know about getting in the discount outlet?

PHUKET: Makro, the newest addition to Phuket’s roster of superstores, recorded turnover of 15 million baht on August 27, its first day of trading.

The manager of the new Wichit Songkram Rd superstore, Aue-angkul Tunvisut, told the Gazette that since the 15-million-baht take on opening day, the store had been averaging a turnover of five million baht a day.

“It’s very successful and most customers like the assortment in our store,” she said. “Around 3,000 members visit each day and an average of 700 new members apply every day.”

The store is the wholesaling giant’s 27th branch in Thailand.

K. Aue-angkul added, “The fresh food department has received very good feedback from customers. All products have sold more than we targeted.

“The top products are frozen pork and white shrimps, while fruit and vegetables have sold out everyday.”

By Anongnat Sartpisut

I went to the Macro the first day it was open. Nice clean store - but no A/C. Prices okay, but the selection of products is no where near as great as in the BKK Macros. Also no pharmacy. I already had a membership card - worth checking here as they may be free for a while. Got mine free in BKK a few years ago when the store was doing poorly. Might be competition for Super Cheap - but SC has a much wider selection of goods - and it is, after all, a cultural experience.

Cultural experience it may be but I avoid the place at all costs.. Made the mistake of forgetting what day it was and ended up ther on a Sunday with my GF.. Never again...

The new Central place is pretty slick.. The supermarket downstair is definately stocking the luxury items (avacado's, peaches, olives in garlic and oils, etc) nice stuff but you get what you pay for.

I've been to Macro a couple of times - a bit disappointing, not such a great selection of packaged food as I was hoping for, but they have a good selection of fresh food and frozen meat. Wouldn't like to go their when it's hot, though :o . And their car park is big enough to cope with the number of shoppers.

Central Festival - on the other hand - has had its car park closed twice when I've tried to go there. Now I don't even try to go between 11:30 am and 2 pm, but it has some good stores, and a Fuji restaurant which keeps the g/f happy. It has many banks, but the staff there seem to need a bit more training - or even better, English lessons. Perhaps the banks don't expect tourists to go that far into central Phuket?

There is a big computer-like shop on the ground floor right near the car park exit, but I keep forgetting to have a look inside until I'm on my way out, and it's too late to stop!

There is also a problem getting into the car park if you are coming from the north or east. Best approach is from the west - Patong - or south - Rawai. At weekends it is generally traffic chaos, not worth the trip - save it for a week-day. But lots of stores and well worth a look.

Central Festival is just great. Yes, a few things need to be straighten-out like the access roads not to mention the parking labyrinth but what a nice place. Now you can spend the money for shopping in Phuket, which you usually had to use to go to BKK for special shopping. The bookstore B2S is a real scoop for Phuket. It took me four hours the first time to see it all and it has loads of books, computer parts, painting, everything. Supersport is great too and the cinema. BKK style in Phuket.

Cheers.......kandt :o

I didn't think Central Festival is that great (after being in Central Chitlom n the likes). Selection is only so-so; same brands in Central Chitlom sellin cheaper there than in Central Festival.

They could do with better choice restaurants, and more (carpark) exit signs, as well as signs that points to the right places (found lots of toilet signs but no toilets - lucky it wasn't an emergency).

The only thing I'll rave about is the deli and meat section in the supermarket. Nice.

Overall, I have a so-so experience. :o

...They could do with ..... signs that points to the right places (found lots of toilet signs but no toilets - lucky it wasn't an emergency)....

:D:D:D I know what you mean! Also, the signs to ATM machines point to empty, dead end corridors - maybe they'll be installed next year? :o