Armed Robbery

JuniorExPat

I just heard about this on the family grapevine and thought it may be of more interest than burgers and pizzas to some members.

Apparently . . .

at about 16:00 yesterday (March 12), armed robbers entered the Thai Military Bank opposite the Nong Hoi market 7/11. They gained entry when the last customer was making their exit. The bank manager was shot and killed and the assistant manager was seriously injured and is in hospital.

Sign of the times, eh?

JxP

Junior , I heard the same story , and thought the same thing , I guess they'll soon be armed guards at all the banks instead of those whistle blowers they have now I just hope they don't start handing out sidearms to them.

Banks in K'phet--Siam Comm, anyway, already does have an 'armed guard'--better known as a policeman--usually sits just inside the door.

I just heard about this on the family grapevine and thought it may be of more interest than burgers and pizzas to some members.

Apparently . . .

at about 16:00 yesterday (March 12), armed robbers entered the Thai Military Bank opposite the Nong Hoi market 7/11. They gained entry when the last customer was making their exit. The bank manager was shot and killed and the assistant manager was seriously injured and is in hospital.

Sign of the times, eh?

JxP

Nasty stuff....

In the 60s and 70s in the UK bank robberies were fairly common compared today, once drugs became the way of making easy money and things got more hi-tech it wasn't worth the bother.I remember as a kid having a friend whose dad was a bank robber living it up in Spain and also the bank across the road from me being robbed and one of the staff being shot and killed.

Sorry about digressing but what I'm saying is that Thai banks [ in CM at least] are on a par with UK banks in the 1970's security wise.

Junior , I heard the same story , and thought the same thing , I guess they'll soon be armed guards at all the banks instead of those whistle blowers they have now I just hope they don't start handing out sidearms to them.

I forgot to mention how TMB in Nong Hoi is embarassingly close to a Police box . . . . :o

JxP

It was the Siam Commercial Bank, Nong Hoi

As far as it says, it was the bank manager injured but no one killed.

Its on the front of todays newspaper.

Thanks for the clarification, glad I used "apparently"!

A bit depressing how easy it was to believe my grapevine version though.

JxP

What's so depressing? That someone might get shot and killed in an armed robbery?

Not started wearing black have you? :o

Country bumpkin that I am, I do find it a little depressing that an armed robbery should take place not only in Chiang Mai but also in the vicinity of the market that is used on a daily basis by the majority of my in-laws, nieces, nephews etc.

However, the sandwich boards and black armbands will be kept in the attic for the moment.

JxP

Lastest Breaking News!!! Gunshots heard in the North of Thailand, our resident journalist JuniorExPat reports in....

end1.jpg

I think what most folks don't realize is that the 'END' already happened. What we are seeing now is just the 'spin down.....'

Three different cultures have called the last few decades the 'end of the world.' It's only our profoundly wise Western Culture that doesn't acknowledge the fact, requiring a more rapid, instant ending as proof. :o

Robber has been caught (in todays paper).

He is a building contractor from Nong Pheung, Saraphi

who was up to his ears in debt and I guess figured out this was the last resort at getting a lump sum to pay off his debts. :o

Poor guy, he must have been at his witts end. Now he will get years to think about it.

And also most probably, poor family of this guy, they end up picking up the pieces.

Hope that the one who has been shot will recover very soon.

Nienke