California Wow.........again

ruds

Sorry to bring up another California Wow topic but I just wanted to tell everybody the prices that are floating about at the moment to help people from being ripped off. Current price that I have been offered as an existing member

- 12,000 baht for life and 100 baht per year after that (currently paying 888 baht per month, 2500 joining fee)

Friend (farang) who is not a member at present was offered

- 16,000 baht for life and 100 baht per year after that

Friend (Thai) who is not a member at present was offered

- 399 per month, join for free

I strongly disagree with California Wow's pricing policy and seeing as I got ripped off with my fees even though I joined 3 months before it opened, I thought I would post this to make everybody aware of their current price promise

A word of warning from another personal experience of mine, keep a close eye on the male trainers chatting up your girlfriend and definately watch out for the sleazy American Manager who is a total weapon

I hope this helps

p.s. At such low prices for life time membership it makes you think that they are up to somehing, it wouldnt be the first time afterall

The whole Cal Wow experience is to be avoided...very annoying place to have to work out. Don't know why anyone would want to join. The whole business model is basically a variation on a Ponzi scheme...build new gyms quickly...sell lots a lotsa memberships for whatever you can get...advertise like h$ll...skimp on maintenance...and around and around it goes. Eventually, the merry-go-round stops spinning and the whole things goes bankrupt and all those lifetime memberships are worthless :o

Sorry to bring up another California Wow topic but I just wanted to tell everybody the prices that are floating about at the moment to help people from being ripped off. Current price that I have been offered as an existing member

- 12,000 baht for life and 100 baht per year after that (currently paying 888 baht per month, 2500 joining fee)

I strongly disagree with California Wow's pricing policy and seeing as I got ripped off with my fees even though I joined 3 months before it opened, I thought I would post this to make everybody aware of their current price promise

A word of warning from another personal experience of mine, keep a close eye on the male trainers chatting up your girlfriend and definately watch out for the sleazy American Manager who is a total weapon

I hope this helps

p.s. At such low prices for life time membership it makes you think that they are up to somehing, it wouldnt be the first time afterall

Probably I am bit stupid but can you please explain what means 100 baht per year after lifetime.It isn't for reincarnated people is it?

I hope this helps

"12000 baht for life then 100 baht per yr after"

you have to keep paying after you die?????? :o even tonys dont make you do that.

I hope this helps

Probably I am bit stupid but can you please explain what means 100 baht per year after lifetime.It isn't for reincarnated people is it?

more than a bit stupid :o ........only jokin mods..................not.

but i agree it needs further explanation for sure

Its 12,000 baht joining fee and 100 baht per year, I didnt go for it so I didnt read the contract to say exactly what lifetime means, most of the time its 25 years though I think.

I should have known some smart ass would pick up on that, silly me for not making my post watertight

What if you take your girlfriend, Thai, along with you during the sales pitch??

Thai GF gets 399 per month flat deal and you get stuck with paying a much higher rate?

I would never join this crappy place, unless they offered me a NO STRINGS ATTACHED, 399 baht per month deal as a farang customer.

Any other offer would be stupid and foolish to accept, especially now that we all know the local Thai rate.

I went there once with a Thai friend, just making an inquiry about membership fees. They made me fill out this form then I had to wait for 40 minutes for an "appointment". Then there was this marketing questionaiire for 20 minutes, finally they revealed the price. Which was some ridiculously expensive, over the top price. By the end I was fuming.

Its 12,000 baht joining fee and 100 baht per year, I didnt go for it so I didnt read the contract to say exactly what lifetime means, most of the time its 25 years though I think.

I should have known some smart ass would pick up on that, silly me for not making my post watertight

watertight........it was like a leaky roof :o

seriously it seems everyone that goes there gets offered something different(pricewise),actually thats not a bad price though.....but why dont they just say 13k for life membership..whats this 100bt a year ..load of <deleted>.

im pretty sure if someone takes their thai partner then they will squeeze them to pay the farang price.....better to send the mrs in on her own and then just after shes paid then go in and see them gutted :D:D

dont think i could ever join there as 10 mins with that manager put me off for a lifetime...smug smarmy git

A forum sponsor Castra Praetoria has gotten some good reviews, but is not located downtown, so for a casual visitor without a car, might not be the best choice.

Tony's is also apparently good, but check it out.

You have the Dusit, Royal Cliff and Montien, plus I am sure many others. Ask around, especially for short term (1-3 months) membership, here the prices vary a lot.

As for California Wow, the rediculous noice is just so offputting in itself, that I would not go near it. Added to that, what I read on the forum about some bad business practices, I would stay away from it. But go check it out, perhaps for a short term deal it is OK, just bring earplugs!

I use the gym at the Marriott, nice but very expensive. But I accept it, due to its location, gym, tennis, pool, sauna, juicebar, spa, rebate at restos, free parking. But I have found that they also have this rediculous dual pricing for Thais. Some <expletive removed> told my g/f that she felt so good by having "all these stupid falangs" sponsering her membership. Wonderful, you go for it girl, I admire your value system!

Edit for typos (when will I ever leant how to sepll?)

Edited by MeaMaximaCulpa

I went there once with a Thai friend, just making an inquiry about membership fees. They made me fill out this form then I had to wait for 40 minutes for an "appointment". Then there was this marketing questionaiire for 20 minutes, finally they revealed the price. Which was some ridiculously expensive, over the top price. By the end I was fuming.

In Singapore I walk past them handing out leaflets but they never ever try to give me one. I do not know whether to be insulted or smug :o

With prices that low I wouldn't be surprised if it's a last, desperate cash grab before they go under.

Im very sure the WOW ship in Pattaya is sinking - no business can operate like that and stay a float.... the venue would make a rather cool bar though - maybe a sports Bar keeping all the orginal features of a GYm :o

I like California Wow. They have a 399B/m deal right now. If you don't like lifetime, then don't buy it.

You're probably doing the sensible thing by paying monthly. Enjoy training there while it's open.

Thanks I'll try Tony's next time if its not too expensive.

Tony's Gym compexes are excellent. I would recommend all of his gyms over anywhere else in Pattaya as far as value for money is concerned.

Thanks I'll try Tony's next time if its not too expensive.
Tony's Gym compexes are excellent. I would recommend all of his gyms over anywhere else in Pattaya as far as value for money is concerned.

Just a word of warning if you go the Tony's way. There are banks upon banks of aircon units and lots of fans in all of Tony's gyms, but they're not really big on using them (frustrates me no end), so if you like cool gyms to train in Tony's is not the way to go.

If you ask me, that's the most misleading aspect of Tony's gyms.

I like California Wow. They have a 399B/m deal right now. If you don't like lifetime, then don't buy it.

You're probably doing the sensible thing by paying monthly. Enjoy training there while it's open.

i heard the 399 is a one off special(as a tester/taster) not for every month......but still good value for a holidaymaker...but dont tell them youre only here 1 month as i presume theyre looking for long term members

With prices that low I wouldn't be surprised if it's a last, desperate cash grab before they go under.

Well in business you never know and for sure not in thailand but when you do some research you will find out that the parent company exists over 20 years already.Also california gym is listed on the thai stock exchange and major cineplex is a very big stockholder in the company.Not sure if tony has same references.

It sounds very close to the business model used by 24 hour fitness and a lot of other gyms. They always build, oversell, and count on the fact that many people will either pay and not use, or drop out. How well that works in a more finance conscious ex-pat environment remains to be seen.

When I joined 24 hour in the USA I paid 2 or 3 years up front (I forgot exactly) and it's $20 a year for life after the first couple years ran out. It was special as a pre-sale to a local gym that they were opening and was limited. At the same time if you walked into a 24 hour fitness center just 5 miles away they would have been wanting 29 - 39 dollars per month.

The whole thing seems same-same (but different :D) so buyer beware :o

Well in business you never know and for sure not in thailand but when you do some research you will find out that the parent company exists over 20 years already.Also california gym is listed on the thai stock exchange and major cineplex is a very big stockholder in the company.Not sure if tony has same references.

Yeah. no kidding. They didn't just build the place to go under in a few months.

What they're doing with these low prices, is trying to make other gyms go under.

This is much like what happens when places like TESCO LOTUS opens a new branch in town.

They have enough of a budget that they can sell at a loss deliberately to drive their competitors out of business.

The business model for CalWow is exactly the same as 24 hr fitness in the US. If you search into the company profiles, you will find Mark Mastrov listed.He started 24 hr fitness in the US and grew it to the largest gym operation.He sold it a few years ago to a large investment banking firm for a huge amount of money.