Left Turn On Red

In virtually all situations outside the metropolis, you are permitted to turn left on a red light if safe to do so (you do not have right of way) UNLESS there is a sign that says you must not or a left turn arrow shows red. As far as I'm aware, there is not a standard sign, but from my observations, the following is common:

lights.jpg

In virtually all situations outside the metropolis, you are permitted to turn left on a red light if safe to do so (you do not have right of way) UNLESS there is a sign that says you must not or a left turn arrow shows red. As far as I'm aware, there is not a standard sign, but from my observations, the following is common:

lights.jpg

As far as I'm aware there is a sign visible at some Traffic lights and it's an arrow, to the left obviously, on a blue backgound and it means 'cool to go left but watch out for those coming from right' or something similar.

Just another observation; in a number of cases at "T" junctions, it is permissible to cross a red light when going straight on the horizontal part of the "T" if safe to do so (again, you do NOT have right of way). This manoeuver is only legally permitted when there is a sign to advise you.

Generally I find they dont need to make up anything to get their 100 baht. I am sure the laws are varied and wonderful to behold but I doubt we can find a living soul even the slightest bit familiar with any of em.

Having just spent a few weeks tooling around on my motorcycle in beautiful issarn, I am pretty sure the rule for turning left is simply "UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES LOOK RIGHT OR ACKNOWLEDGE IN ANY MANNER ANY TRAFFIC CONTROLS THAT MIGHT IMPEDE YOUR LEFT TURN"

After just a week, you naturally assume that bugger approaching the turn will turn left without slowing. On right turns, particularly with traffic lights, they generally have a gander before they run the light.

lights.jpg

On Suthep rd in CM there is a right turn onto Niminhamen. There is a geen right turn arrow to turn right during the cycle. However when its not showing you just see a green light and no red right turn arrow. Does this mean you can go if the way is clear ahead? Not many people do, but if I do most follow. Sheep affect?