Samui Ferry Fares To Rise

Samui ferry fares to rise

SURAT THANI: -- A government committee Friday approved the request of ferry boat operators between the mainland and Samui Island to increase its fares.

The fare for an adult will rise from Bt110 per trip to Bt130 or an increase of 18 per cent.

Children and students will have to pay a new fare of Bt60, compared to the current fare of Bt55 or an increase of 9 per cent.

A four-wheel vehicle will be charged Bt360 per trip, rising from Bt325 or an increase of 10.7 per cent.

Surat Thani deputy governor Damri Boonjing said the committee in charge of considering the fares of Samui ferry boats approved the request because of the operators' increased costs due to rising oil prices.

The increases, which are expected to take effect on April 1, have yet to be endorsed by the governor and the operators must inform their passengers 15 days in advance.

-- The Nation 2008-03-14

and it keeps rising, rising and rising... now as Samui becomes a 5-6 Star Destination, at least the Samui Tourism Council has declared it as such... Four Season, Sila Evasion, Le Meredien, and many more like the Oriental are to follow.... someone has to get his act together I figure...the roads are pretty back to a "natural appearance", does this make ti 5 Star or the breathtaking stench halfway down beach road in chaweng, just about in front of the Buri Rasa (5 Star)...? or the lovely "black sewerage brine" floating after heavy rains just in front of the Amari and Prego ...or the hip deep flooding on the North road, connecting Ring road and beach road, or in front of the "Talaad Dao"....well it's for sure quite some impressing experience, if you and your lady come all the way from the four season resort, dressed up in your rented car for a night out in chaweng and get stuck there somewhere in the flood waters...? :D

As the figures about property and real estate put out there by Richard Ellis Group.... as if "a couple a million dollars" are nothing...well at least the figures are 6Star! :o

Ahh well.... let the Show go on, lay back and see...no reason to lose your humor or temper and remain calm!

Edited by Samuian

Considering the rising gas and diesel prices, is anyone really surprised they've raised their rates? The cost of EVERYTHING on Koh Phangan has gone up considerably in the past few months. The ferries here raised their prices a few months ago, if I recall correctly. Why shouldn't they raise their rates for Samui as well?

Seems to me too many people smell conspiracy when more likely it is the rapidly rising gas prices to blame.

:D many thing go up with the price......

example: "Salted Butter"

costs before about 48bt (227g) now 77bt !

that's a increase of 60% :o:D i am very surprised about that.

What's the reason? increasing Gasoline/Oil prices....or just fantasy.

Now the imported Butter from Australia is cheaper as that one

from Orchid who is made in East-Ayutthaya near Bangkok. :D

Chayaphum

Considering the rising gas and diesel prices, is anyone really surprised they've raised their rates? The cost of EVERYTHING on Koh Phangan has gone up considerably in the past few months. The ferries here raised their prices a few months ago, if I recall correctly. Why shouldn't they raise their rates for Samui as well?

Seems to me too many people smell conspiracy when more likely it is the rapidly rising gas prices to blame.

Learn to count before you give this kind of statement. Gasoline prices might have been up 10 % in the last 2 years. The locals here misuses this to raise their prices in a ridicolous way. And costs of everything on KPN is up because less tourists... TIT

Learn to count before you give this kind of statement. Gasoline prices might have been up 10 % in the last 2 years. The locals here misuses this to raise their prices in a ridicolous way. And costs of everything on KPN is up because less tourists... TIT

Claude, the price of oil today hit $111.00 a barrel,catch any flight & see what the fuel surcharge is. Nothing to do with TIT.

Edited by Rooo

Crude Oil price / Thai Gasoline 95 comparison:

every rates from January

2003, 29,44$ a barrel / Thai Gasoline 95 17bt per liter

2004, 30,87$ a barrel / Thai Gasoline 95 17bt per liter

2005, 42,21$ a barrel / Thai Gasoline 95 20bt per liter

2006, 58,30$ a barrel / Thai Gasoline 95 27bt per liter

2007, 46,53$ a barrel / Thai Gasoline 95 26bt per liter

2008, 84,70$ a barrel / Thai Gasoline 95 33bt per liter

what this will show us..... the Gasoline 95 price increasing only 100%

but the Crude oil price increasing in the same time about 190% :o

Source: http://www.pttplc.com/en/ptt_core.asp

Chayaphum

every rates from January

Chayaphum

absolutely right.

the dollar value has also gone down so the thai oil company is buying the oil at less baht. hence the diference.

the cost of everything will now rise as everything on the island needs to be trnasported and trnasportaion costs are now very expensive due to the expensive gasoline.

i wonder if another ferry price hike is in the works for us too then?

in a related topic, i'm really happy the samui/kpn seatran big boat is running again but i went on it twice last week and both times, about 25% full. i wonder how long they can keep running it?

And costs of everything on KPN is up because less tourists... TIT

???? I am afraid I don't know what you are talking about here. Prices go up because the cost of bringing the goods over goes up. Phangan has had a fine high season and, just so you know, the prices started going up after the New Year. So, nothing to do with no tourists.

every rates from January

but the Crude oil price increasing in the same time about 190% :D

Chayaphum

Gasoline 95 = 33 Baht/liter.....?.... :D that's € 0,671/liter

I pay between € 1.47 and 1.52/liter now in my EU country...If I fill up my tank I pay some Baht 5.000.-- versus Bht 2.300 in Thailand. Anybody want some nuts ...............?

Don't understand why some people complain... :o

LaoPo

There is a bit of halo effect going on here, I think.

I notice in the market in Lamai that the 20 baht bag of six eggs now contain only 5 eggs. I am told that everyone is on the same pricing scheme (do they have a meeting for these things?). I hardly think that EVERYTHING is subject to price increases because of oil prices. However, it is certainly a convenient excuse, as with the eggs (we have no hens in Samui?).

And this, "things have to be brought out to the islands" business doesn't quite wash. The increase in fuel costs spread over the cornucopia of goods brought here is miniscule. The knock-on effect doesn't domino like that throughout the entire chain. Not that is in not passed on at all, but not in every commodity originating from the mainland.

What next? A oil increase surcharge on newspapers?

Koh Phangan is substantially smaller market Mark, with no Tesco, big C or Makro to force prices down. The cornucopia of goods, as you put it, is a fraction of the Samui market. Given the economies of scale, don't you think the effect would be far more noticeable?

This is simply market forces at work - supply and demand. People complaining about the price of the car ferry act as if the ferry company are there as a charity - thsi is business and you go out of business if you don't charge what the market can afford. I'm sure the ferry companies will say to their fuel/insurance companies that it's not fair that the prices go up and they get the same answer they give us, either buy and pay or don't, the choice is yours. Personally I think just over 5 pounds for me and my truck to get ferried over to the mainland for 1 hr 30 mins is reasonable.

If you don't like what you pay for eggs, buy them somewhere else and tell the old vendor why. Thats the only way.

every rates from January

but the Crude oil price increasing in the same time about 190% :D

Chayaphum

Gasoline 95 = 33 Baht/liter.....?.... :D that's € 0,671/liter

I pay between € 1.47 and 1.52/liter now in my EU country...If I fill up my tank I pay some Baht 5.000.-- versus Bht 2.300 in Thailand. Anybody want some nuts ...............?

Don't understand why some people complain... :o

LaoPo

And how long does the average worker has to work to fill up the tank in your EU Country.

Compare that with the average salary in Thailand.

You may laugh all the way to petrolstation here and wonder why many Thai consider falang spoiled.

the dollar value has also gone down so the thai oil company is buying the oil at less baht. hence the diference.

the cost of everything will now rise as everything on the island needs to be trnasported and trnasportaion costs are now very expensive due to the expensive gasoline.

Forget about the transportation costs!

I had two shippings of the same products (worth 13.000 THB) last month:

BKK to Chumphon 200 THB shipping

BKK to Samui 300 THB shipping.

Transportation costs are still very very low in Thailand.

Crude oil price and gasoline price is like comparing the price for meat and for a beefsteak in a restaurant...

every rates from January

Chayaphum

And what this will really show us is that the value of USD, the currency in which oil (subsequently gasoline) has fallen dramatically and not that the real price of oil has increased. It's important I think to differentiate between the two issues.

And how long does the average worker has to work to fill up the tank in your EU Country.

Compare that with the average salary in Thailand.

You may laugh all the way to petrolstation here and wonder why many Thai consider falang spoiled.

I wish it was that simple. Cars in my country belong to the most expensive in the world; they're 30% or more than in Germany and double than the US in most cases. Cars/motobikes in Thailand are way cheaper than the west.

Cost of living is way dearer in the west than Thailand, think of heating -liquid gas- costs. Huge !

Public transport same same. One can have a nice decent meal for peanuts in LOS. Try that in the west...

A dinner for two in a normal restaurant (nothing fancy) cost between 3-4.000 Baht (without wine or beer). Fancy restaurant ? ...You name it but 4-5.000 comes first, for two.

PS:

Living: I just saw an add here on TV for a brand new condo in Chiang Mai for 10K/month. For CM that's stiff I think, but in my country it's IMPOSSIBLE to rent a room for that money...and I mean a SMALL room with shared toilet, kitchen and sower...shared ! 20K for a small room and you're lucky.... :o

LaoPo

I notice in the market in Lamai that the 20 baht bag of six eggs now contain only 5 eggs. I am told that everyone is on the same pricing scheme (do they have a meeting for these things?). I hardly think that EVERYTHING is subject to price increases because of oil prices. However, it is certainly a convenient excuse, as with the eggs (we have no hens in Samui?).

And this, "things have to be brought out to the islands" business doesn't quite wash. The increase in fuel costs spread over the cornucopia of goods brought here is miniscule. The knock-on effect doesn't domino like that throughout the entire chain. Not that is in not passed on at all, but not in every commodity originating from the mainland.

Two examples, quick and dirty:

A truck can ship 5.000 eggs to KPN, shipping costs are 1.000 THB for ferry (go and back) and 650 THB for diesel (100 km one way), means 0,33 THB per egg. An increase of 20 % over last 2 years equals 0,07 THB/egg.

Gasoline on Samui is 2 THB more than in Surath - shipping costs:

A big truck with 10.000 liters, shipping costs are 2.000 THB for ferry (go and back) maybe some 500 THB for the driver for waiting at the pier, equals 0,25 THB per liter and not 2 THB per liter.

Gasoline price is NO REASON at all the charge clearly more, not on Samui, not on KPN...

Koh Phangan is substantially smaller market Mark, with no Tesco, big C or Makro to force prices down. The cornucopia of goods, as you put it, is a fraction of the Samui market. Given the economies of scale, don't you think the effect would be far more noticeable?

I am not an economist, but I am not sure if what you say is applicable. My point was, not so much that some things will be affected by the rise in the price of oil, but that certain things are immune from this or the costs are so homogenized that raising their retail cost would be unrelated to oil, but more closely tied to greed and a convenient bandwagon excuse.

I mean if what you say were so, then EVERYTHING purchased on Koh Phangan that comes from the mainland would rise in cost to the consumer. Clearly this isn't the case. Coke is the same price as it was, as is a box of pencils.

My point is that if someone is upping the price of toilet paper and saying that it costs more to bring it over, well, I would be suspicious.

By the way, there are goods in Koh Tao that are not available, as far as I can see, here in big 'ol Samui. Couscous, for example. It's strange, that....

The price of coke per box went up a few months ago, Mark. Not enough to raise the per can rate, but it still went up.

Perhaps we see it more because we are buying wholesale and so therefore see the 20 baht rise, the 50 baht rise per box etc. The rise isn't enough to pass the costs onto the consumer just yet, but it will be if the trend continues.

Sorry, but so why not move over to the mainland????

You live on an island, you wanted to do so- so don´t complain about the "Samui charge"

Maybe someone can tell me the area/country, where the prices go down??

BTW, gasoline is for free in some arabian countries.... :o

Sorry, but so why not move over to the mainland????

You live on an island, you wanted to do so- so don´t complain about the "Samui charge"

Maybe someone can tell me the area/country, where the prices go down??

BTW, gasoline is for free in some arabian countries.... :D

Because my home for the past 19 years is here? Because my husband is from here? Because my husband's family is here? Because we have a house and business here? I hope those are enough reasons to satisfy you. :o

Anyway, this is a discussion of the price increases of the ferries etc. But if you have something of interest to add about the reasons for ferry increases or how it affects you, please feel free to contribute.

Two examples, quick and dirty:

A truck can ship 5.000 eggs to KPN, shipping costs are 1.000 THB for ferry (go and back) and 650 THB for diesel (100 km one way), means 0,33 THB per egg. An increase of 20 % over last 2 years equals 0,07 THB/egg.

Gasoline on Samui is 2 THB more than in Surath - shipping costs:

A big truck with 10.000 liters, shipping costs are 2.000 THB for ferry (go and back) maybe some 500 THB for the driver for waiting at the pier, equals 0,25 THB per liter and not 2 THB per liter.

Gasoline price is NO REASON at all the charge clearly more, not on Samui, not on KPN...

I think you'll find that petrol costs are just a part of the picture - another part might include increased feed costs also being passed on. There's a dilemma in the UK currently with farmers switching to crops for ethanol and this is hurting the dairy and beef farmers who used to rely on an abundant supply of sensibly priced grain crops as feed - no more. I will be surprised if the same is not true in Thailand to some degree. Check out the price of bread to substantiate this claim - at Carefour in Phuket a baguette has increased from 19 to 27 baht in the past week and the stores reason for this they claim is increased price of flour.