Proof Of Pension Letter

I got my first retirement visa last year and its up for renewal in May. Jomtien Immigration took a copy of my proof of income letter and I kept the original. At my last 90 day reporting, I specifically spoke with the lady Captain and she said this same original letter would be accepted. However I will be going early just in case I need to get a new letter. As an aside, I dress in a proper shirt and long pants etc and am courteous and respectful.

Requirements seem to have changed during the past year to require new letters each year from most recent reports.

In true Thai fashion there are always variations to the rules.

I visited my Imm office and they actualy gave me back my Original copy of my Embassy Proof of income letter and said a copy would do and to use the original again next year.

Same Same ! NOT

Dave

:o I was told, last year when I renewed my retirement visa, (first they kept the one I had been using for the past 3 years) that I would have to get a new form for next time. FYI. I also think it is now going to be an annual expense to be faced if your embassy charges as mine does. :D

My retirement visa is up for renewal in May. the 7th time. A friend recently told me that the letter I have from the B/embassy, is valid only for 3 years now. true ore false ?

Income letters are now only valid for one renewal. My visa is due in May. The letter I get next week will be valid for that renewal. Answer to your question is FALSE!

"Income letters are now only valid for one renewal"

Two years ago the #2 Imm. officer in Pattaya told me that the original Embassy letter was valid until the expiration date of your passport and a copy would be accepted -- That's ALL changed!

You'll now need a new letter every year and --in addition-- a copy of both sides of a valid Credit ( or Debit ) Card -- You can black-out a few vital numbers in hopes of protecting against identity theft and credit card fraud.

Sorry Guys, I just did mine new letter they keep it.

Again Chiang Mai didnt ask any Credit or Debit card. maybe depend on the office???

"Income letters are now only valid for one renewal"

Two years ago the #2 Imm. officer in Pattaya told me that the original Embassy letter was valid until the expiration date of your passport and a copy would be accepted -- That's ALL changed!

You'll now need a new letter every year and --in addition-- a copy of both sides of a valid Credit ( or Debit ) Card -- You can black-out a few vital numbers in hopes of protecting against identity theft and credit card fraud.

Is this credit card requirement being enforced? There was some debate about this last year - it seems it's only at Jomtien that they ask to see one.

--

I recently went to BKK to renew my visa, new retirement proff of Income letter required each year, no need to provide any details of bank or credit card.

Photos are a must, ( but they may be used each year) if for a marriage visa.

Will combine renewal at BKK with visit to Embassy, they only take 24hrs to process.

Seems quite simple really, but as stated by anoither person yet another expense.

One of these days the 90 day requirement will not be needed, but I wait for that with bated breath.

My retirement visa is up for renewal in May. the 7th time. A friend recently told me that the letter I have from the B/embassy, is valid only for 3 years now. true ore false ?

Yes, you do have to renew proof of income letter (pension etc) annually. For British people this can be obtained from Barry Kenyon who is available at the Jomtien Immigration Office every day from 9 a.m until I think, 9.30 a.m

I have a quick question for everyone. I am anticipating the same requirements for the annual renewal, and wonder why everyone is using a Letter for Proof of income, instead of the Thai bank account option.

It is my understanding from Thai Embassy in Washington DC that the requirements for issuing an O-A Retirement Visa are one or the other of these conditions, but not both:

Option 1) Bank Statement & Letter of Guarantee of an amount that would equal 800,000 baht.

Option 2) Letter of Proof of income certified by my American Embassy.

Thai Visa department has been very clear that is is one or the other. I intend to use only a Bank Statement to get the visa issued. The Thai Visa official also stated that within one year of arriving on my new O-A retirement visa, I should open a local Thai Bank account and tranfer more than 800,000 baht. When time for the 1 year renewal, I've been told that as long as the Thai bank account always contains minimum 800k baht then that is accepted for Proof of Income.

So, why is everyone going to the hassle of getting the Embassy letter for proof of pension?

Regards,

Jan

I have a quick question for everyone. I am anticipating the same requirements for the annual renewal, and wonder why everyone is using a Letter for Proof of income, instead of the Thai bank account option.

It is my understanding from Thai Embassy in Washington DC that the requirements for issuing an O-A Retirement Visa are one or the other of these conditions, but not both:

Option 1) Bank Statement & Letter of Guarantee of an amount that would equal 800,000 baht.

Option 2) Letter of Proof of income certified by my American Embassy.

Thai Visa department has been very clear that is is one or the other. I intend to use only a Bank Statement to get the visa issued. The Thai Visa official also stated that within one year of arriving on my new O-A retirement visa, I should open a local Thai Bank account and tranfer more than 800,000 baht. When time for the 1 year renewal, I've been told that as long as the Thai bank account always contains minimum 800k baht then that is accepted for Proof of Income.

So, why is everyone going to the hassle of getting the Embassy letter for proof of pension?

Regards,

Jan

Possibly as they have a pension of 65000 baht + a month and do not want to have 800000 baht in a Thai bank account and the OP was about proof of pension letter

Edited by tom21

The rule is 800k in Thai bank account for previous three months, 65k monthly pension/income or a combination of the two to meet the 800k annual amount. The embassy letter requires no tie up of money in a bank account in Thailand. If you use the bank method the account must not go below 800k for 3 months prior to application and you must present passbook/copies and a letter of account balance from your bank each time. The 65k normally only requires the short embassy letter.

Actually from my five years reading this forum I get the impressions that the 800k is used by most applicants.

Also be aware an extension of stay inside Thailand is not an O-A visa - it is an extension of stay only.

Were you also advised, if you have a multi entry O-A visa, you can depart/return just before it expires and receive a new stamp for one year (without any need for financial means)? But when it is time to extend in Thailand the money must have been here for 3 months.

Am I right in assuming, my embassy proof of earnings letter, which I have used for 5 years, will suffice this year, but they will keep it and demand a new one next year. Or will this current letter be refused and they will tell me I need a new one. Does anyone KNOW for sure. Thanks in advance.

It seems that everyone is getting a different response, even from the same immigration office. I went into Jomtien Immigration last month for my 90 day report and asked asked the retirement official if my old letter would be good for this year and he assured me that it would. Renewal is due 15th April so I will go in a few days early just in case! :o

It seems that everyone is getting a different response, even from the same immigration office. I went into Jomtien Immigration last month for my 90 day report and asked asked the retirement official if my old letter would be good for this year and he assured me that it would. Renewal is due 15th April so I will go in a few days early just in case! :o

I look forward to seeing how you got on. Please post !

I look forward to seeing how you got on. Please post !

Went to Jomtien immigration yesterday with last year's letter, which also quotes an old address, and had no problems at all. Immigration official was only interested in the amount quoted which he converted at a rate of 62 Baht/pound and then checked that I had enough in my Thai bank account to make up the balance as the pension letter was for less than the full 65k/month requirement. Flushed with success I foolishly left him with the original letter rather than a copy so I guess I will be having to get a new one next year.

Sometimes I think reading this site can make you paranoid - Some people regale you with horror stories but I wonder how many facts are left out of the reports and how many times difficulties are encountered due to the attitude and appearance of the applicant rather than the immigration officer looking to make problems.

I have a retirement visa which is due for renewal on the 4th July.

In the past i have transferred an amount to make up my existing balance to the 800.000 baht requirement but due to the poor exchange rate from pound sterling to Thai baht I have decided to go the proof of income route as I have a monthly income in excess of 65k.

I recently had a meeting with Barry Kenyon to seek advice and was told that I only need to show 10.000 baht in my Thai account when I make the renewal application as I am well up on the 65k.

I can submit my visa application 90 days ahead of the 4th July renewal date.

The cost of having my income proven by Barry Kenyon I believe is 2.100 baht.

This morning, I went to see Barry Kenyon in Jomptien. He confirmed that a new letter is now required each year. On production of the old letter, he will make a new one at a cost of 2.220baht. It can be picked up the following day.

He is situated in the first cafe on your left as you entered the compound. A ticket queue system is in operation. They are in a box on the table. I didn't know and some got in front of me before I realised.

From being first, I became 4th.

It's strange that the letter is more expensive than the visa. Uk pricing I think. :o

This morning, I went to see Barry Kenyon in Jomptien. He confirmed that a new letter is now required each year. On production of the old letter, he will make a new one at a cost of 2.220baht. It can be picked up the following day.

He is situated in the first cafe on your left as you entered the compound. A ticket queue system is in operation. They are in a box on the table. I didn't know and some got in front of me before I realised.

From being first, I became 4th.

It's strange that the letter is more expensive than the visa. Uk pricing I think. :o

correction. 2.210 baht

I just yesterday obtained a retirement visa it Phibun. I used the monthly income statement from the US Embassy. It had to be at least Bt60,000. Take note, they (Thai Immigration) wanted the confirmation of income statement from the embassy to be translated into Thai. This was a surprise because the embassy and Thai Immigration (told to me by the embassy) have an agreement that the English copy would suffice. Once I got that, the form 7 an ATM slip showing that I withdrew money (that was a new one). He did ask for my ATM card to copy but no way was that going to happen, a picture and my passport I had my visa.

I did e-mail the US Embassy and told them about the translation and they were supprised to hear it.

Good Luck

I am surprised that you say 60k is the requirement. The requirement is 65k and has been so for several years if using income only method.

I am sure the Embassy was surprised as it has never been a requirement to translate English language documents for Immigration. This seems to be specific to that small location/officer.