Tesco Lotus To Sue Thai Critics For One Billion Baht

sriracha john

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(By the way, you posted the same Guardian link as I had earlier. Nevermind - its good reading.)

Yeah, sorry about that, I didn't see it until after I'd posted. I get a little impatient to say something once I'm involved, and anything regarding Tesco gets my blood close to boiling very quickly.

I'm now using the 'Every little helps hurts' slogan on the posters.

Power to the people!

but for those that live some distance away and are old, frail, non-drivers, etc., can mean great loss of convenience and increased expense on travel just to do their weekly shopping.

Erm, all these big stores deliver.

They even offer online shopping in the UK.

So more choice and more convenient!

No wonder the 'mom and pop' stores can't compete.

Of course they do! It's all part of the process of monopolisation process! And when they've destroyed the opposition by using all these gimmicks like "free delivery" or "free buses" or "cheapest fuel" , then they will be at liberty to charge what the hel_l they like. Which has been borne out in US and UK already in so many towns. There is no choice but Tescos for some people. Like it or lump it. Hopefully, Thailand will never get as bad as that and people will resist before the corporate takeover is complete. :o

It's not like people had a choice before Tesco. Small shops got their stuff from the same suppliers/wholesalers in the area, and those suppliers lacked the power to negotiate with big vendors. Tesco changed that, and, hopefully, competition will continue to keep it on its toes.

There are at least four major superstore chains competing with each other on the national level, even if Tesco or Big C monopolise one particular city it doesn't reflect on their prices as those are set nationwide.

Of course they do! It's all part of the process of monopolisation process! And when they've destroyed the opposition by using all these gimmicks like "free delivery" or "free buses" or "cheapest fuel" , then they will be at liberty to charge what the hel_l they like. Which has been borne out in US and UK already in so many towns. There is no choice but Tescos for some people. Like it or lump it. Hopefully, Thailand will never get as bad as that and people will resist before the corporate takeover is complete. :o

Where I live super large TESCO and Carrefour branches are opposite each other. I walk out of tesco, straight onto an overbridge and into Carrefour. Outside both are hundreds of small stall owners. But you want to get rid of Tesco- how will that give me more choice?

The nature of big business is similar to that of big politics. Assimilate, and stamp out diversity, then you control the market. Yuo would hope that checks and balances are in place to curb the worst extremes of this...? :o

But I think Tesco have cut out a lot of middle-men and uncompetitive suppliers to cause the rumpus that they have, which to me is no bad thing here in LoS, btw.

Tesco are not the angels, but the anger here is misplaced, plus a lot of public opposition is manipulated by competing business interests.

Superstores, suppliers, and small shops can coexist and complement each other, if there's a genuine interest in reaching a solution.

I think you're being a bit naive Plus. Tescos whole modus operandi, whether in UK or Thailand, is to knock out the competition one by one and eventually dominate the marketplace. I

Because Tesco's competitors don't have the same objective? Who is naive?

Do you know how many 7-11 there are in Thailand and how many more is planned in the next two-three years?

Do you know how many 7-11 there are in Thailand and how many more is planned in the next two-three years?

On Samui there is one Tesco/Lotus, one Macro and recently a BigC opened... but almost every day a new 7/11 or "Family Mart" opens doors... guess there must be well over 10 dz. of them by now!

By whom 7/11 is run and stocked?

And this guy is a golf buddy of whom? :o

I think you're being a bit naive Plus. Tescos whole modus operandi, whether in UK or Thailand, is to knock out the competition one by one and eventually dominate the marketplace. I

Because Tesco's competitors don't have the same objective? Who is naive?

Who is sueing who for 16 million quid? When the boot is on the other foot, then I can maybe feel some sympathy for the individual sueing the mega-corporation down on its knees begging for mercy.

Go back to the original post and consider the circumstances cooly and calmly. If this happened in UK, there would be a revolution and Tescos would be fire-bombed from here to Aberdeen! C'mon, smell the Tesco's own brand coffee and what they are trying to achieve by this action. :o

I'm not saying that Tesco's lawsuit is entirely justified, but the guy in question is not some kind of activist like Supinya, he's a Secretary General of Thai Chamber of Commerce and an MP, for christsakes, and he repeatedly said that Tesco gets 37% of its revenue from this region.

I'm saying that Tesco doesn't deserve the rap it gets and anti-Tesco activists are not entirely sincere.

>>>

If Tesco monopolises the market it won't be searching for solution, but the fact is it's only one of four major chains, and not the best one.

By solution I meant talking to disgruntled suppliers who instigate all this trouble, not mom&pops. I believe Tesco needs to deal with them for the sake of peace, even if they probably deserve to rot in obscurity for their greed and underhand tactics.

Yes, and I believe that was not the only case. Did Tesco sue any of the protesters?

The guy in this thread is in an official position, the other one is academic, they both should watch what they say in public. They CAN be sued for spreading misinformation, it comes with their position.

Yes, and I believe that was not the only case. Did Tesco sue any of the protesters?

The guy in this thread is in an official position, the other one is academic, they both should watch what they say in public. They CAN be sued for spreading misinformation, it comes with their position.

They retracted the bit out 37 % of revenue coming from Thailand. Problem solved, move on Tescos. Do you really believe that exagerrated figure is worth 16 million quid? How else have they slandered Tescos and ruined its image? A sense of proportion is required here I believe, and running to litigation every time someone has the temerity to put down a multi-national corporation that makes supendous profits each year from you (not me anymore! :o ). As you say yourself one is an academic, so hardly likely to be a multi-millionaire, high roller (unless he's a Shinawatra or other Assembly of the Rich member) and that's where the parallel with Supinya bears comparison.

If people were sued every time it occurred for "spreading misinformation", especially in Thailand, then the courts would have a list from here to eternity filled with politicians and I suspect, supermarket chain chiefs with their ridiculous claims. But you know as well as I do, it doesn't work like that in Thailand or most other countries and where libel is concerned, it's mostly the mega-rich protecting their assets against the poor(er) members of society. I'm quite surprised at your hearty defence of Tesco Plus. Is it totally out of altruistic concerns for their "damaged" reputation, or is there some other interest you should be declaring here?

For what it's worth and following-on from earlier discussion about the underhand methods and tactics used by supermarket chains to dominate the marketplace, vis a vis, independent traders, the following list of reasons to avoid supermarkets if one is concerned about the loss of quality, choice, service and rural community life, then this may interest some. It's from Friends of the Earth Uk's website, but much of it is still relevant to the Thai situation, especially the way that supermarkets squeeze farmers of every drop of blood.

Why supermarkets are bad for consumers, farmers and small businesses

Supermarkets don’t offer the best price to consumers. Supermarket low prices are only on a very limited range of goods. A recent survey by Friends of the Earth found that supermarkets are the most expensive place to buy apples, market stalls and greengrocers beat the supermarkets, including Morrisons and Sainsbury’s on price [1]. A survey for Sustain in 2000 found that fruit and vegetables were around 30% cheaper at market stalls than supermarkets [2] .

Supermarkets favour imports over British produce. Although 84% of shoppers say they want supermarkets to give preference to British produce when it is in season [3] the supermarkets appear to do the opposite. A Friends of the Earth survey found that at the height of the UK apple season under half of the apples on offer in the big four supermarkets were home-grown [4].

Supermarkets’ bullying tactics can put small farmers out of business. The Competition Commission [5] found that the big supermarkets enter into unfair trading practices with their suppliers. For example supermarkets pay invoices very late, and they pass costs back to suppliers for changes to transport and packaging and even for their own mistakes in ordering. Because these practices can hamper suppliers investment in new products, and makes it hard for smaller businesses to compete, the Competition Commission warned that consumer choice may be effected.

Supermarkets are squeezing prices to farmers. Last year the NFU found that for a basket of food costing the consumer £37 the farmers would only have got £11. The Competition Commission found that Tesco which has the biggest market share paid the lowest prices [5].

Supermarkets are forcing small shops out of business. About eight independent shops close every day [6]. Small independent shops cannot compete with the big multiples.

Supermarkets do not support the local economy in the same way that local shops do. The New Economics Foundation [7] has found that local shops keep more money circulating in the local economy.

When a large supermarket opens there is a net loss of jobs. The British Retail Planning Forum found that every time a large supermarket opens on average 276 jobs are lost [8].

Supermarkets import food over huge distances, often by air, resulting in large emissions of carbon dioxide. For example two kilos of baby carrots from South Africa will travel 9,622 km by plane and result in emissions of 10,969 grammes of global warming carbon dioxide [9].

Supermarkets also transport food large distances around the UK due to their distribution system. For example according to the Institute of Grocery Distribution Sainsbury’s vehicles clocked up 15.7 million km last year and Asda-Walmart clocked up 147.9 million [10].

Supermarkets waste food by placing difficult conditions on farmers for cosmetic appearance. In a Friends of the Earth survey of apple growers [11] we found that supermarkets frequently reject fruit for being the wrong shape size or colour even though it is perfectly edible

Notes

[1] In October 2002, Friends of the Earth surveyed 151 supermarkets, 58 greengrocers and 29 markets, the results revealed that the average price for a kg of cox apples was just £1.02 at market stalls, £1.07 at greengrocers, but at Morrions or Asda-Walmart would cost £1.27 and at Sainsburys would cost as much as £1.44.

[2] Sustain, 2000, A Battle in Store

[3] NOP Omnibus, carried out the poll between the 8th and 10th November, see Friends of the Earth press release 18 November 2002 New Poll Shows Public Back Farmers v Supermarkets

[4] Friends of the Earth media briefing British Apples for Sale, November 2002

[5] Competition Commission, October 2000, Supermarkets

[6] Grocer Yearbook, 2002

[7] NEF, 2002, Ghost Town Britain

[8] British Retail Planning Forum, 1998, the impact of out-of-centre food superstores on local retail employment

[9] Sustain, 2001, Eating Oil, Food Supply in a Changing Climate

[10] The Grocer, 4 January 2003

[11] Friends of the Earth media briefing, November 2002, Supermarkets and Great British Fruit

Contact details:

Friends of the Earth

26-28 Underwood St.

LONDON

N1 7JQ

Tel: 020 7490 1555

Fax: 020 7490 0881

Web: www.foe.co.uk/feedback.html

someone has the temerity to put down a multi-national corporation

I don't think this guy spoke for the consumers, it could be, but more likely he was speaking for Tesco's competitors, and so I don't trust him.

As for supermarkets being bad - friends of the Earth presume that traditional stores/supply chains are better, more responsible, or "humane". Maybe it's true in the UK, but, transfer yourself back to chicken flue crisis for a moment. Who would you trust more - Tesco/Big C/Carrefour to sell you disease free meat or a local market seller who gets his chickens god knows where? 70% of pork on Bangkok fresh markets come from illegal, uncertified, unmonitored slaughterhouses. Can you honestly say that they care about you? Do you really believe they feel responsible if you get food poisoning from their substandard meat?

And I don't understand your point about boycotting Tesco - do you really extend this to Carrefour, Macro and the rest? Or do you believe that it's only Tesco that is bad for consumers? And what about smaller supermarkets like Tops. The only difference is that they carry only food and essentials, otherwise their business model and suppliers are exactly the same. Prices are not that different either.

About 4 years ago, Tesco wanted to build a distribution center near Peterbourgh, UK, after all the planning ect and 15 acres of concrete, it was decided the local pumping station could not cope with the run-off of water from this, [Dog & Doublet pumping station into the River Nene near Whittlesey}, at the time it was powered by 2 1938 Crossley engines, which hand to be hand-started, my job was to take these out and replace with 2 8litre cummins engines which run on telemetry, water level high, auto start, Tesco paid the 1.5 million quid for this no prob, it has a distribution centre in the heart of the Fens which saves farmers travelling ect,

I must add that the local salad bags have a real bad effect on me, Tesco salad with some king prawns and seafood sauce make a lovely cocktail, with no bad effects,

I will continue shopping at Tesco for the following reasons, the beef mince is good, the pork cuts are good, the mixed salad bags are clean and tasty, all fruit is fresh, many household items in one place, and our nearest one is 100ks away,,,

Why supermarkets are bad for consumers, farmers and small businesses

So refreshing to see a point supported to this extent, unlike the majority of posts that are merely unsupported objection to points raised by other posters to justify a personal position, whether that position is right or wrong.

Objectivism is the first rule of debate! (in my humble view).

Yes. Who is defending Tesco & why?

Is the evidence of years of this "supermarket society" not enough? Are you that lazy that you would buy/eat anything from a supermarket without even the slightest question like, "Where did this come from?" or "How many people lost their jobs to make this piece of steak?"

It's very simple...unless you have shares in these disgusting leeches, you will be well advised to boycott them.

I know I said I'd rather not go there, but what the hel_l, I was goaded............. :o

The Tesco, avian flu and industrial farming link can be explored here.......

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/as...mic-473244.html

Alternatively, just try googling something like "factory farming, bird flu" and see what comes up. The evidence is pretty strong, to say the least.

And as an aside, Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall had a great programme on telly a few weeks ago, that featured none other than Tesco's and their 2 pound fifty factory farmed chickens, and what it takes to get from the farm to your shopping trolley. The supermarkets are now falling over backwards to try and sell "free-range" or "freedom food" chickens, because of the change in consumer habits this and a Jamie Oliver campaign have had. When celebs speak up for quality food from farm to plate, then it makes a big difference to what people buy. However, Jamie is in the pay of Sainsbury's and so draws the line at criticising them directly, but Hugh hates 'em and campaigns for the small trader and independent producer, retailer and consumer in UK. There is a large and growing anti-supermarket backlash going on here at moment, which is forcing them to be more responsible, ethical and answerable to the public.

The exact opposite is happening in Thailand, evidenced by this ridiculous litigation against individuals by the "Every Little Hurts" chain. BOYCOTT the buggers! :D

I'll get back to you on "supermarkets are bad" later.

The guy being sued is not an individual, he has/had an official position with Thai Chamber of Commerce, and I'm not justifying the lawsuit, I don't have enough information.

I just looked at your link. It says one case was traced back to CP, in Cambodia.

According to reports here, in Thailand, only open farms were affected, and it's their chickens that were killed by millions countrywide. CP group actually benefitted from the flu because all their competition was all but wiped out.

Many cases here were traced back to handling and eating dead chickens, we have no idea how many of them were sold before the quarantine, apparently it's a normal practice. Does CP sell chickens that died from unknown disease? I doubt that.

Outbreaks like that are easier to control on closed farms, don't you think? Also any outbreak would be devastating for small farmers while giants like CP can absorb losses and contain damage relatively easy, small farmers are practically forced to cover up.

As for your pork lady - she is just a last step in a long chain from pig farms to your fridge. She might be nice and sweet and accomodating, but she has no control over whole production process. If something goes wrong, you can't realy hold her responsible. Some supermarket suppliers, on the other hand, advertise that you can access all information on any piece of meat they sell, from the point of origin to the shelf. If something goes wrong with Tesco, you can sue them, and they WILL come down heavily on suppliers (if they want to).

In the absense of laws or law enforcement consumers have no choice but to rely on producers self-monitoring. In case of supermarkets, they have at least some initial criteria for suppliers to assure quality. In case of fresh markets, there's none. Do you know they guy who butchers your pigs? Do you know what sanitary procedures he follows? Does your pork lady know? If the slaughterhouse (most likely illegal in the first place) screws up and there's some pig flu outbreak, I can safely bet your lady won't have a clue until people start dying.

Or look at it from another angle - those safety rules were put in place by Tesco because that is supposed to be the standard in the west, standard set by small farmers in the first place. They can blame Tesco for not following it because they know how it supposed to be done.

When Tesco comes to Thailand, local standards are simply non-existent, comparing to them Tesco is a god of cleanliness and responsibility.

As for boycott of superstores - this is not going to work. Due to lifestyle changes people do their shopping once a week and there's no way they get all their stuff from mom&pop shops. If they go to a fresh market that sells everything - it's just like Tesco with open sewers and no shopping carts. And I bet market owners are not exactly angels when it comes to dealing with their suppliers.

Edited by Plus

• 3 weeks later...

Tesco sues Thai critics of £100 million expansion plan

Tesco, the supermarket group increasingly regarded by large parts of Britain as about as benign as an invading army, is finding that the reception in the more far-flung outposts of its empire is less than ecstatic, too.

A small but growing number of voices in Thailand has been speaking out against the ambitious and, they claim, aggressive plans for expansion by Tesco, which already has hundreds of stores in the country. Seemingly stung by the criticism, Tesco has taken the remarkable step of launching legal actions seeking millions of pounds in damages from its critics, one a former MP and the other a newspaper columnist.

The actions have been condemned by campaigners for free speech.

"I think they want to intimidate me, to stop me speaking out against them," said the newspaper columnist and academic, Kamol Kamoltrakul, who is being sued for £1.6 million.

Tesco took action after Mr Kamol wrote a column against its expansion plans for the supermarket, which operates 370 stores and hypermarkets in Thailand under the name Tesco Lotus. He claimed that Tesco did not invest in the country, minimised the taxes it paid to the authorities, and had no "social responsibility."

The other person being sued is former MP Jit Siratranon, secretary general of the Thai Chamber of Commerce. Mr Jit is facing a claim for a staggering £16.4 million after giving a speech to a group of activists in which he said: "The large-scale expansion of the big retailers must be exercised with great care – not too aggressively and too rapidly – to reduce the potential tension, which could lead to serious conflict." He also faces two years in jail if the lawsuit is successful.

The controversy over the expansion of foreign retailing chains in Thailand has been such that four years ago the Thai company operating with Tesco sold its stake in the operation.

"I am concerned about the 'mom and pop' stores," explained Mr Kamol, speaking last night from Bangkok. "I am worried about the millions of people who will be affected if they lose their livelihoods. I am not against Tesco but I think it should halt its expansion. I think this country should have more regulation."

Last April, Tesco's Thailand operation said it would be spending more than £100 million * 6,217,459,106 Thai Baht * :o on expansion.

Asked about the legal actions, a Tesco spokesman said: "This follows a sustained period of attacks over a number of years. It is not something we would enter into lightly." He said the company was responding to "malicious rumours."

"There comes a time when you have to defend not only yourselves but the people who work for you."

- The Independent (UK) / 13 April 2008

Tesco, Carrefour, Big C and name some others. They are all the same. Driven by the wish to make as much money as possible for the shareholders. Through us, the consumers. I don't think that is a bad thing. If your company is singled out by some officials to blame you for all the perceived wrongs, I guess legal proceedings are the only way to rectify the things that were heaped on you by reps of the opposing companies that were stupid or lazy? . Tesco are operating rather on the agressive side, not only in Thailand, but everywhere, so what? Why? Because they want maximum profit! But as more people said in posts, why not attack 7-11 or the other local leeches? You really think that holding company is operating with you the consumer in their mind, through franchises? Come on, wake up!

No way you can stop this. If Tesco would disappear, some other chain would come in. Signs of the time, people. The old ways are gone forever, also in Thailand. But, Thailand does not know yet.

No, I have no stocks in Tesco, and no, I am not a customer of Tesco.

And I buy in other chains and in local shops that do not charge me farang prices.

Tesco, Carrefour, Big C and name some others. They are all the same. Driven by the wish to make as much money as possible for the shareholders. Through us, the consumers. I don't think that is a bad thing. If your company is singled out by some officials to blame you for all the perceived wrongs, I guess legal proceedings are the only way to rectify the things that were heaped on you by reps of the opposing companies that were stupid or lazy? . Tesco are operating rather on the agressive side, not only in Thailand, but everywhere, so what? Why? Because they want maximum profit! But as more people said in posts, why not attack 7-11 or the other local leeches? You really think that holding company is operating with you the consumer in their mind, through franchises? Come on, wake up!

No way you can stop this. If Tesco would disappear, some other chain would come in. Signs of the time, people. The old ways are gone forever, also in Thailand. But, Thailand does not know yet.

No, I have no stocks in Tesco, and no, I am not a customer of Tesco.

And I buy in other chains and in local shops that do not charge me farang prices.

I'm not sure of your main point here? Are you saying that it is inevitable that Tescos will take over Thailand and the consumer should just Love the Machine, as it can't be stopped? Or are you saying they cannot be beaten in court as they're just too rich and powerful? Or are you just saying that the era of small independent shops and markets is over as "the old ways are gone forever"?

I couldn't fathom it out, but I did gather that you don't shop at Tesco, but do go to other "chains" and local shops that don't appear to charge you "farang prices" (whatever they are?). So good, you think Tescos are more expensive than the competition and are being discerning. Same here, but I chose not to shop at Tesco not on price consideration, but on principle. I'm not worried by supermarkets per se - I use them regularly - but many of their monopolistic practices and expansion tactics do concern me. The reason I'm boycotting Tesco is simple - they are using litigation to silence critics in Thailand and it is the thin end of the wedge, as far as I'm concerned. Thus, I will take my custom elsewhere until they drop these legal suits. As simple as that. Good day! :o

Tescos demands are gtting even more outrageous as it tries to sue a third person for libel. This person was a journalist writing a "tongue-in-cheek" humourous column in Bangkok Business News newspaper. She jokingly wrote, "Tesco Lotus doesn't love Thais". For that comment she is being sued 100 million baht in damages!!!!!

The story is here.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/ap.../tesco.medialaw

Methinks that the negative publicity that these ridiculous antics by Tesco drum up in Thailand and elsewhere will cause it to lose a lot of business in the long run. It could turn nasty for them, if nationalists turn their attention to it, as happened with Temasek after it bought up Shincorp. They will also get bad publicity in UK too from this, which will fan the flames of the many people who strongly dislike this company in any case and more will boycott it. It's vindicated my original decision to boycott Tesco and hope others will join me...... as this is now purely about free speech being at stake.

Tesco-Lotus Sues Plachon for 1.2 Trillion Baht

Official company spokesman for Tesco-Lotus, Somchai Readsalottaporn, today announced that the company has launched a 1.2. trillion baht lawsuit against Internet user plachon. He stated that this was in response to plachon's attempts to encourage people to boycott Tesco-Lotus for bringing lawsuits against its critics. "We're a big multi-national corporation so <deleted> does this punk think he's doing?" stated Tesco-Lotus Vice-President in Charge of Intimidation Charles Donotmesswithme from company headquarters in the UK. Mr. Readsalottaporn reiterated that anyone attempting to stifle their expansion into Thailand would receive the same. "What we do is nobody's business. Our business is our business. Get in the way and we'll sue until the water buffalos come home," Khun Somchai stated as the company grand-opening of its fourth mega-store in the tiny provincial capital of Amnoet Charoen (pop. 21,000).

Bangkok Herald-Examiner

*Disclaimer: While the implied intent of the article should be taken seriously, the actual specifics are made-up. If that seems obvious and the need for this disclaimer seems unnecessary, well... for some it is.*

Tesco-Lotus Sues Plachon for 1.2 Trillion Baht

Official company spokesman for Tesco-Lotus, Somchai Readsalottaporn, today announced that the company has launched a 1.2. trillion baht lawsuit against Internet user plachon. He stated that this was in response to plachon's attempts to encourage people to boycott Tesco-Lotus for bringing lawsuits against its critics. "We're a big multi-national corporation so <deleted> does this punk think he's doing?" stated Tesco-Lotus Vice-President in Charge of Intimidation Charles Donotmesswithme from company headquarters in the UK. Mr. Readsalottaporn reiterated that anyone attempting to stifle their expansion into Thailand would receive the same. "What we do is nobody's business. Our business is our business. Get in the way and we'll sue until the water buffalos come home," Khun Somchai stated as the company grand-opening of its fourth mega-store in the tiny provincial capital of Amnoet Charoen (pop. 21,000).

Bangkok Herald-Examiner

*Disclaimer: While the implied intent of the article should be taken seriously, the actual specifics are made-up. If that seems obvious and the need for this disclaimer seems unnecessary, well... for some it is.*

55555555! :D

I wouldn't put it past them SRJ, judging by recent moves made by this democratic bastion of fair play, competition and free speech. I mean, they should just put an advert in all Thai papers saying that any journalist not writing positive news about Tesco can expect to be sued for hundreds of millions of baht and then get their true intent out in the open. It would save them a lot of trouble serving writs and then the media and general public would be in no doubt where they stand.

:o

Journalists to investigate Tesco Lotus

The Thai Journalists Association (TJA) will play a major role in investigating the business operations of Tesco Lotus and its Thai operator, Ek-Chai Distribution Systems (Thailand).

The move is aimed at determining whether the operations comply with the Foreign Business Act (FBA).

The decision was announced yesterday after discussions about Tesco Lotus's libel suits against Krungthep Turakij senior editor Nongnart Harnvilai, Krungthep Turakij columnist Kamol Kamoltrakul and Jit Siratranont, a former MP who is now vice general secretary of the Thai Chamber of Commerce.

Tesco Lotus is claiming combined damages of 1.2 Billion Baht. The reports in question were related to the hypermarket operator's rapid growth. They criticised alleged trouble in communities caused by Tesco Lotus's expansion, including traffic problems.

"We believe Tesco Lotus is not after the money," said TJA vice president Wanchai Wongmeechai. "Rather, Tesco Lotus is exploiting the legal system to silence the freedom of the press in presenting facts and criticisms about its business plans and effects on communities. These matters are in the public interest."

The FBA allows a foreign retailer to operate in Thailand through a Thai-registered company. However, foreign interests must not own more than 49 per cent of the company.

The TJA also invites reporters, columnists and Thai citizens facing charges by Tesco Lotus to contact the association for joint discussions on protecting freedom of speech and continuing to criticise under the framework of the Constitution.

The association said Thai journalists viewed Tesco Lotus's damage claim as an action to silence reports on its rapid expansion in Thailand and criticism of its impact on small retailers.

The TJA is also planning a public conference to educate the public on the business operations of giant foreign corporations.

- The Nation (today)

TJA slams Tesco over lawsuits

The Thai Journalists Association (TJA) has slammed giant retailer Tesco Plc for filing lawsuits against its critics, saying the firm is trying to gag the media. Wanchai Wongmeechai, the association's vice president on press freedom, said the National Press Council and the TJA viewed the legal move by Ek-chai Distribution Co Ltd, which runs the Tesco Lotus discount store chain in Thailand, as an attempt to silence the Thai media which has been critical of its rapid expansion.

The firm is demanding 1.2 billion baht in combined damages through three separate libel and defamation lawsuits it has filed against Nongnart Harnwilai, the marketing news editor of Krungthep Turakij, Kamol Kamoltrakul, a guest columnist of Krungthep Turakij, and Jit Siratranont, vice secretary-general of the Thai Chamber of Commerce. Mr Wanchai yesterday released a statement saying the TJA and its allies would check to see if Tesco Lotus and Ek-chai Distribution have carried out their business in Thailand lawfully under the 1999 Foreign Business Act. Public forums would also be held on the issue. Mr Wanchai asked news reporters, columnists and Thai citizens who have been sued by Tesco Lotus to report their cases to

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/22Apr2008_news11.php