Pattaya To Kanchanaburi - Best Route?

dyertribe

Hi TV members,

in November I will be driving from Pattaya to Kanchanabri and would like to avoid Bangkok. Is there a ring route? Can anyone advise me of likely time to do this trip and the likely tolls?

Is an early start advisable?

Regards

Hi “dyertribe”,

Sure there is a Outer Ring Road around Bangkok and since last November they opened the Kanchanphisek Bridge, which joins the Southern Outer Ring Road that leads to Nakon Chasi, Nakon Pathom and Kan.

As they still have not built the Toll Booths on this road, one cannot tell you the fees.

Have a look at the link below:-

Kanchanaphisek Bridge

Should take you about 4 1/2 hours and normal speed.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :o

Hi dyertribe,

I am also planning to make this trip sometime over the coming weeks.

My first thoughts on this are to take the bus, however I will give it a go in the car.

I am planning to go from Pattaya to Bangkok via the A3 then the A34. I would use the A7, but there are roadworks just outside Pattaya and too many pot-holes for my liking. There were anyway a couple of months ago when I last drove to the Airport.

I will then 'hit' the Bangkok Express and look for the New Bridge, posted in the other thread.

Not quite sure where that is yet? I have downloaded the map (thanks for posting that Kan Win), but have not quite worked out what is finished and just where it is.

My maps are all from 2005, so I will go and buy a new map today that may help.

I was hoping this bridge would link to the A4, then the A323 to Kanchanaburi.

If anyone could please add their expertise to this thread, I am sure both dyertribe and I would be grateful.

I will post my experience here and the route I eventually took before November, so dyertribe, you at least will be able to learn from my mistakes.

Last time I went on the Bangkok Expressway, I seemed to miss my turn and kept ending up back in the traffic under the Pylons - never mind :o

Edited by dsfbrit

Thanks for the maps.

By the looks of it, the only map that shows the new Expressway is the map posted by Kan Win.

I went to buy a new map today, but none of the maps I looked at show this new bridge marked either.

Not really surprising that as the bridge is very new.

Kan Win's big map shows it to be where the Expressway 9 'ends'. So I know where it is and its called Expressway 37.

Anyway, I have decided to go there tomorrow.

I will let you know how I got on.

Edited by dsfbrit

Thanks for the maps.

By the looks of it, the only map that shows the new Expressway is the map posted by Kan Win.

I went to buy a new map today, but none of the maps I looked at show this new bridge marked either.

Kan Win's big map shows it to be where the Expressway 9 'ends'. So I know where it is and its called Expressway 37.

Good Luck :D "dsfbrit'"

The “Map No.1” shows the start of the "New" section Route No.9 top right hand side is where the “New Airport” which it does not show on this map.

Once passing the “New Airport” take the “Kanchanphisek Road” turn off to your left (approx 5-8 kms after the Airport), that is when the Map No.1 starts (top right hand corner) Route No.9, Bang-Na ect., but keep on going (for 40 odd kms, may be more, passing Rama II sigh which goes down south) until you see Nakom Pathom sigh, (DO NOT take this turing, but the next one Nakon Chaisi (must take the frontage road before to turn left) then you will not have a traffic light from the Motorway in Chonburi until Nakon Chaisi (Over 180 kms or more.)

From there to Nakom Pathom, (should you have time pop into the Phra Pathom Chedi) and then follow the sighs to Kan.

Welcome to Kan :o

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Edited by Kan Win

Thanks for the maps.

The “Map No.1” shows the start of the "New" section Route No.9 top right hand side is where the “New Airport” which it does not show on this map.

Once passing the “New Airport” take the “Kanchanphisek Road” turn off to your left (approx 5-8 kms after the Airport), that is when the Map No.1 starts (top right hand corner) Route No.9, Bang-Na ect., but keep on going (for 40 odd kms, may be more, passing Rama II sigh which goes down south) until you see Nakom Pathom sigh, (DO NOT take this turing, but the next one Nakon Chaisi (must take the frontage road before to turn left) then you will not have a traffic light from the Motorway in Chonburi until Nakon Chaisi (Over 180 kms or more.)

From there to Nakom Pathom, (should you have time pop into the Phra Pathom Chedi) and then follow the sighs to Kan.

Welcome to Kan :o

Yours truly,

Thanks Kan Win

I set off from Pattaya at 6AM Friday and arrived in Kanchanaburi 4 Hours later - really no troubles at all at that time in the morning. I only stoped once for about 5 minutes to stretch my legs.

From Pattaya I took the Route No 3, then Route No 34 to join up with the Route No 9.

Headed clockwise on the Route No 9 towards Rama II.

I then headed down Route No 4 towards Nakhom Pathom and then then Route No 323 to Kanchanaburi.

The total distance was 270 Kms.

I would suggest anyone that heads out of Pattaya later than 6AM take Route No 7 between Pattaya and the connection to Route No 9 to avoid Sri Racha and Chonburi, as Sri Racha and Chonburi will be very busy later in the day.

Edited by dsfbrit

Thanks for the maps.

The “Map No.2” shows the start of the "New" section Route No.9 top right hand side is where the “New Airport” which it does not show on this map.

Once passing the “New Airport” take the “Kanchanphisek Road” turn off to your left (approx 5-8 kms after the Airport), that is when the Map No.2 starts (top right hand corner) Route No.9, Bang-Na ect., but keep on going (for 40 odd kms, may be more, passing Rama II sigh which goes down south) until you see Nakom Pathom sigh, (DO NOT take this turing, but the next one Nakon Chaisi (must take the frontage road before to turn left) then you will not have a traffic light from the Motorway in Chonburi until Nakon Chaisi (Over 180 kms or more.)

Welcome to Kan :D

Yours truly,

Thanks Kan Win

I set off from Pattaya at 6AM Friday and arrived in Kanchanaburi 4 Hours later - really no troubles at all at that time in the morning. I only stoped once for about 5 minutes to stretch my legs.

From Pattaya I took the Route No 3, then Route No 34 to join up with the Route No 9.

Headed clockwise on the Route No 9 towards Rama II.

I then headed down Route No 4 towards Nakhom Pathom and then then Route No 323 to Kanchanaburi.

The total distance was 270 Kms.

I would suggest anyone that heads out of Pattaya later than 6AM take Route No 7 between Pattaya and the connection to Route No 9 to avoid Sri Racha and Chonburi, as Sri Racha and Chonburi will be very busy later in the day.

Great that you made it and in 4 Hours. Welcome to Kan. :o

Sorry, but I fumbled a bit as highlighted above, it was Map No. 2 and not Map No.1 , my bobo :D that is near the New Airport. Opps.

Edited by Kan Win