English Roast Dinner.

bsided69

I love the food in CM. Thai, Italian, Indian and recently Thai vegetarian. However I have always enjoyed a good old English Sunday roast. I have been to a few places that claim to be good, but have left mostly dissapointed. A roast must have Crispy roast potatoes. There can be no arguement about this. Freshly steamed vegetables, brocoli, carrots, peas etc. This is where some of the other places fail. Buffet style roast are good for the first couple of hours, but then go a bit soggy, so if you want to eat at 6pm ish you tend to get left with the soggy dregs.

Up untill 6 weeks ago the best roast I had had was at the "Mango Tree" that use to be on Loi Kroi road. Never managed to do the crispy roast potatoes though. Plenty of juicy succulent lamb made up for that. Do remember it being a bit pricey though?

Well 6 weeks ago after having past it a million times I saw a sign outsde "The Pub" on Hauew Kauw rd saying "Sunday roast 250 baht". I went in and ordered the roast lamb. After 10 minutes or so my food arrived. What a surprise!! Two big yorkshire puddings, CRISPY roast potatoes, a large portion of succulent juicy lamb and 4 veg that were cooked to perfection. Not boiled to death and full of flavour.

Now, people that know me know Im a picky bleeder when it comes to food. However this was one of the finest farang dinners I have had in my years in Thailand. I have been back there for the last 6 Sundays and taken at least 15 different friends( yes i have some friends) with me on these occasions and they are all regulars now for the Sunday roast . Some of them had tried it many years ago but were'nt impressed then, so I told them if they didnt enjoy it this time I would pay. I didnt have to pay for anybody.( Phew)

I do not work or know the owner of this establishment, so I am not advertising or looking for any favours. However my lucky ticket number( you get this with each meal for a prize draw on Wednesday) is 275903657890274659265809243. :o

Check it out for yourself. They also do roast beef and pork.

I was at the Pub last night and they were offering lamb or beef and went with the lamb and very good too but for me the Queen Vic is far superior partially as they target just a 2-3 hour session whereas the pub lasts basically until they are sold out which is often after 20:00. Queen Vic is 315 baht and includes a soup starter and an ice cream desert plus its a carvery so can load up on whatever you prefer whereas the Pub is a plated offering but of course you can request more of this and less of that but if you hit the Queen Vic around midday as I did previous week you will not be disappointed as the entire spread has basically just come out of the oven. Last week they had lamb/beef/chicken/pork plus roast and mash potatoes plus 3 or 4 veg and yorkshires and the beef was excellent.

Another option that may appear expensive but with amount of quality food on offer it is certainly good value and that is the Holiday Inn which I believe is between 11:30 and 14:30 and priced around 525 baht but they do offer discount cards which takes 10% off. I don't visit that often as I just can't pack away that much food to warrant the additional 200 baht so Queen Vic is my preference when I can handle a full meal at midday but Holiday Inn is far more than just a carvery with Japanese/Indian/Italian/Thai and plenty of others on offer.

Try Queen Vic next week and report back and I very much doubt you will be disappointed.

Edited by Mahseer

you have another vote here for the Queen Vic....but try to get there early. Having been in the restaurant trade in blightey, i can tell you it is not easy to do a sunday roast to order...unless pre-booked . I would a have thought a spit roast hog would work well here. Anyone seen that on a menu?

Ive also had several expats tell me of a superb sunday lunch offered by a German chap out towards Doi Saket i think...any info?

I was at the Pub last night and they were offering lamb or beef and went with the lamb and very good too but for me the Queen Vic is far superior partially as they target just a 2-3 hour session whereas the pub lasts basically until they are sold out which is often after 20:00. Queen Vic is 315 baht and includes a soup starter and an ice cream desert plus its a carvery so can load up on whatever you prefer whereas the Pub is a plated offering but of course you can request more of this and less of that but if you hit the Queen Vic around midday as I did previous week you will not be disappointed as the entire spread has basically just come out of the oven. Last week they had lamb/beef/chicken/pork plus roast and mash potatoes plus 3 or 4 veg and yorkshires and the beef was excellent.

Another option that may appear expensive but with amount of quality food on offer it is certainly good value and that is the Holiday Inn which I believe is between 11:30 and 14:30 and priced around 525 baht but they do offer discount cards which takes 10% off. I don't visit that often as I just can't pack away that much food to warrant the additional 200 baht so Queen Vic is my preference when I can handle a full meal at midday but Holiday Inn is far more than just a carvery with Japanese/Indian/Italian/Thai and plenty of others on offer.

Try Queen Vic next week and report back and I very much doubt you will be disappointed.

Buffet in the River Terrace and the cards are good for 20% off (leastaways mine is)

I have heard the Q Vic is good by some. I went there once a few years back and the roast potatoes where not CRISPY and the Im not a fan of food under a hot light. Reminds me of Motorway service stations in England. Also eating a substantial meal for me before 5pm is a No No. Im on Oliday and Saturday night is party night. I understand what you say about having a 2-3 hour serving slot which suits some. However The Pub seem to be able to serve up a good Roast whatever time I go. I do remember going at about 2pm once( spices must of been shut the night b4 :o ) and it was as good as having it at 8pm. I will try the Q vic again maybe this Sunday? Will you do the same offer I did to my Friends?( if no like you get money back) :D

Also I am a fan of quality over quantity. Quantity can sway many peoples opinions of meals. Not that Im am saying this is the case with you. Tried the Citylife top 10 breakfasts over the years and one of the top 3 places was a massive plate of greasy stogie plop. Its still rated as a good place for breakfast. Yet one of the good Irish places has been slated on here recently which I think is UNfair as its not the biggest,but its good quality food.

Anyhow Im waffling on as Ive just ridden to phroe and back via Chang Doa and I think Ive got sun stroke.

Will give it a go if the police shut the bars early on Saturday. :D

Many thanks

Mr Sunstroke

ps gonna do a bit on Veggie food soon. Bet you all cant wait? :D

ps gonna do a bit on Veggie food soon. Bet you all cant wait? :D

The Pub does good veg on Sundays add some meat and you get a great lunch. Been there, done that, got the bar towel - they didn't do T-shirts then but I think they now have some left over from the Hash House Harriers visit a while back.

Sorry digressing - great Sunday roast must pop in soon :o:D

Anyhow Im waffling on as Ive just ridden to phroe and back via Chang Doa and I think Ive got sun stroke.

Where is phroa and Chang Doa? Is that somewhere near Phrao and Chiang Dao? Might be a bit more than sunstroke mate.

Yes Blunky we know I have problems with my spelling and puck chew ation. Thought we had got over that one. Its getting a bit boring now.

Anything to add on a good roast dinner? Thats the point of the post.

Oooo can we have a best Sunday lunch in Chiang Mai poll, can we, can we...

Please don't.

Next thing you know they'll start a poll on Chiang Mai's best 7/11. :o

The Pub on Huay Kaew Rd does the best Sunday lunches in town. :D

Couldn't agree more about The Pub and their Sunday lunches, and a little off topic :D Grahame is certainly improving things all around, from the Friday quiz, the Wednesday music and what a great Paddys night last night. No longer Dinosaurs Den! More details at: thepubchiangmai.com Ups!!

Cheers,

YOS

This is one of the few dishes I can cook at home and do a much better job than any of the restaurants in Chiang Mai , the pub was the best out of a bad bunch a couple of years back, before that it had to be the Escape and that is going back a while.

This is one of the few dishes I can cook at home and do a much better job than any of the restaurants in Chiang Mai , the pub was the best out of a bad bunch a couple of years back, before that it had to be the Escape and that is going back a while.

Cookie who was employed by the wonderful owners of the original Escape is now employed by Nick at the Maddog. Roasts are available there but IMHO they are not the speciality of the house.

Cookie who was employed by the wonderful owners of the original Escape is now employed by Nick at the Maddog. Roasts are available there but IMHO they are not the speciality of the house.

No Mad Dogs is for pizzas, the breakfasts are fine but a good fry up is another one of my few dishes that I cook well.

. . . . Christmas roasts, however, are always good value for money at Mad Dog, come to think of it I have only had a roast there at Christmas or New Year, maybe I'll correct that omission this week and report back . . .

Nice to see you back BB.

JxP

See you at 5ish on Sunday then. CRISPY roast potatoe la! :o

• 1 month later...

The best British roast dinners that I've ever had were in a British restaurant in a big car garage on Patpong 2 in Bangkok back in the 80s and 90s. They seemed to have more American customers than Brits - the staff were quite insistant on decent sized tips - and the US Embassy officials seemed to dine there a lot.

Bobby's Arms! :o

"Bobby's Arms"

To read about Bobby's Arms makes me feel very nostalgic. I was there a couple of times in the 80s.

But to write about today. Me and my wife were having roastbeef at "The Pub". Afterwards I told her: The worst thing that can happen to a man, is an american wife and an english cook. :o