Lao Visa At Nong Khai: Any Tips?

I haven't been to Laos via Nong Khai for about 35 years, so can't really advise my daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren who'll be going that route next Monday. Can anyone tell me if there's anything to be sure to have, or watch out for, or any good tips that will make their crossing hassle-free?

I know they need a photo for each visa and that the visa will cost them about US$30 or THB1000, but beyond that I don't know anything. How do they get to the Immigration post from the train and how much should they pay? If anyone offers to run off with their passports on either side of the border and fix it all for them, what should they do? How do they get from Thadeua (Is the Lao immigration post still there?) to Vientiane and how much will it cost?

I know there are other posts on the forum about this crossing, but if anyone can answer these specific questions in one hit I'd be very grateful indeed. And if anyone can warn me of any potential dangers or ripoffs for this little family that would be very helpful. I wish I was going with them, but am caught up here and their mother will already be there.

Thank you

Xangsamhua

Take a tuk tuk from the train station to the bridge ( Friendship Bridge). Buy a chitty for the bus that takes you across the bridge. When you pass thru Laos immigration there are all forms of transport to Vientiane. You can hire a van for the whole family. When you reenter Thailand they will give you a 30 day visa. If you have a one year visa, get an exit/reentry visa at the immigration office beforehand. It is pretty straight forward. No need for helpers.

Take a tuk tuk from the train station to the bridge ( Friendship Bridge). Buy a chitty for the bus that takes you across the bridge. When you pass thru Laos immigration there are all forms of transport to Vientiane. You can hire a van for the whole family. When you reenter Thailand they will give you a 30 day visa. If you have a one year visa, get an exit/reentry visa at the immigration office beforehand. It is pretty straight forward. No need for helpers.

Thank you for your advice. They'll need to exit Thailand on their Non-Imm "O" visa, but will be coming back for only a few days before returning home. From what you say, I gather that the exit process from Thailand is straightforward and they can re-enter the country on a 30-day tourism visa. How much is the tuk-tuk from Nong Khai station to Nong Khai immigration? Is that at the bridge?

Cheers

X.

Tuk Tuk takes no more than 5 minutes max to get from the train station to the bridge (where immigration is), depending on how loaded the tuk tuk is. I would have thought it shouldnt cost you more than 60 baht to get there as it usually costs me that to get from the centre of NK to the train station, and thats considerably further.

Guemlum

Edited by Guemlum

Tuk Tuk takes no more than 5 minutes max to get from the train station to the bridge (where immigration is), depending on how loaded the tuk tuk is. I would have thought it shouldnt cost you more than 60 baht to get there as it usually costs me that to get from the centre of NK to the train station, and thats considerably further.

Guemlum

I've been there 3 times now and the last poster is correct in everything he says, get a tuktuk from NongKai, just present yourself at the border,pay the money for the visa and you're in.

I haven't been to Laos via Nong Khai for about 35 years, so can't really advise my daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren who'll be going that route next Monday. Can anyone tell me if there's anything to be sure to have, or watch out for, or any good tips that will make their crossing hassle-free?

I know they need a photo for each visa and that the visa will cost them about US$30 or THB1000, but beyond that I don't know anything. How do they get to the Immigration post from the train and how much should they pay? If anyone offers to run off with their passports on either side of the border and fix it all for them, what should they do? How do they get from Thadeua (Is the Lao immigration post still there?) to Vientiane and how much will it cost?

I know there are other posts on the forum about this crossing, but if anyone can answer these specific questions in one hit I'd be very grateful indeed. And if anyone can warn me of any potential dangers or ripoffs for this little family that would be very helpful. I wish I was going with them, but am caught up here and their mother will already be there.

Thank you

Xangsamhua

there will be some minibus drivers on the lao side of the border they will want 300 baht for the trip to Vientiane

Ok first and most important tip - make sure they have $ not baht - a $35 dollar visa suddenly becomes 1500baht if paying with baht. You don't say what nationality they are but the price of the visa is dependant on this e.g. Australians $30, UK and US $35, Canadian $42 - the most expensive!

Tell them don't accept any help from anyone. When they turn up on the Lao side of the Friendship Bridge tell them there is two small windows to the left on the building, there is a Visa On Arrival sign somewhere around them. Firstly go to the right hand window and tap on the glass they'll dish out the required paperwork. Sit down and fill it in hand the visa form back with 2 pictures, passport and the $ then sit down and wait. When visas are ready they normally wave the passports out the right hand window, collect, then pass through immigration, job done.

When they wander out on the Lao side they'll be offered Taxis, tuk tuk or minibuses - which one is the best or cheapest I dunno as I never use them but getting to Vientiane isn't a problem!

All the immigration is done at the Friendship bridge nothing to do with Thadeua.

:o

Just got back from laos yesterday...the information from previous poster is spot on...the $30 visa on arrival fee, all of a sudden became 1540 THB...Tuk Tuk (or samlaw as they are known up there) are readily queueing at train station, and should be no more than 60 THB, can even walk it if theyre feeling like a 15 minute walk...its a 20 THB bus fee to take you across the bridge, then again, once you have passed through immigration at Laos, and paid the ridiculous 10 THB entry fee (my girlfriend was charged 20THB), and there are lots of minivans or tuk tuks offering rides in to Viantienne...i was offered a tuk tuk for 100THB, but decided to travel in style in an a/c minibus for 300THB...its a 15 minute drive in to town, and hotels guest houses are plentiful and good value...Returning to LOS was easier, but again the ridiculous exit fee of 10 or 20 THB...like you have said...photos required, but if forgorren, there are people available who can for a small fee, arrange a photo for your visas...happy travelling :o

Visa is depending on nationality as technocrazy already mentioned, Of course it is better to pay in USD, altough the difference doesn't make it worth my while to actually get USD in Thailand. Last time I did actually have some USD, and was able to get in for 30 USD, as they only had 20 USD change from my 50 uSD note, As a Dutch citizen the fee is actually 35 USD. You need one photo, but I was able to cross at the bridge several times without it, sometimes they charged me 50 baht for this, sometimes nothing at all. Don't let someone arrange photos for you, they will probably ripp you off, Lao immigration will simply charge you the 50 baht for the lack of the photo.

You should get the visa application form + entry and exit card, fill out both.

Recently they added a desk where you have to pay an immigration fee of 20 baht, but last time I just passed it, without being asked for money. I sometimes take a shared songtaewn into town, which is of course cheaper then a non shared taxi, but even those will cost you only around 200-250 baht and will get you there quicker.

Also when entering/exiting Laos on weekends and after normal working hours, a "overtime" fee applies, this fee is 5000 kip for Lao citizens and 15000 for non Lao citizens.