Tool Shopping...where? (yes, I Know About Homepro)

RayFaye

I'm from Koh Samui and find the selection pathetic and the prices for Makitas even more horrifying.

I can order a 12" Makita Radial Arm saw (with laser) for about 36,000baht, which drives me nuts 'cause the same one on amazon.com costs $500US (about 15,500baht!)

There must be a place that can cut out the BS import nonsense that places like HomePro specialize in.

Since I need a great table saw (not a Thai homemade one, which are great for rough cut, but I'll be doing some detail work where alignment of motor/blade and a great fence and bed are totally necessary) a radial arm saw, two high end lithium battery drills, a reciprocating (Sawzall type) battery powered saw, a self-feed planer (the dinky Makita one costs 32,000 in Samui) and a hand planer, I'm looking for a place to buy them.

Thanks

RayFaye

They call it wood st. It is at the end of the subway system where the train station is. Think that one is hua lamphang. Get a taxi from there and only 5 minutes away. If anyone else knows the name please post it.

I will post the soi name later as it was stored on an old mobile phone.

But it is a soi full of wood work shops, timber and furniture merchants and tool sellers. I have seen all the tools you requestd there. Although they are not all in stock at the same time.

Best bet is to take someone who speaks good Thai with you if you do not. Next best bet is to also take a printed picture of exactly what you want and then it is clear as day what you want and they can tell you if they have it, or can order it etc.

Sorry, just checked messages and cannot find the name. Hopefully someone else knows it.

Bang Pho (near mo chit) or Klorg Tom (near chinatown - yarrowat).

Literally hundreds of shops in Bang Pho specializing in stuff for woodwork & Klorng Tom has thousands of hardware, tool & supply shops.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Now finally some good news and first hand report.

I knew ,there had to something somewhere.

Now all we need is a volunteer (come on you Bangkok guys ,you can not all be city slickers, there must be some home -wood- workers among you ) who could go by these places and have a look around and report to us . Before a dozen of us from all over the country come traipsing down to BKK to find ( or not ) want we want ,you could earnyourself some serious good Karma (Brownie Points ) by looking around and giving us some feed back .

It would be highly appreciated.

Now finally some good news and first hand report.

I knew ,there had to something somewhere.

Now all we need is a volunteer (come on you Bangkok guys ,you can not all be city slickers, there must be some home -wood- workers among you ) who could go by these places and have a look around and report to us . Before a dozen of us from all over the country come traipsing down to BKK to find ( or not ) want we want ,you could earnyourself some serious good Karma (Brownie Points ) by looking around and giving us some feed back .

It would be highly appreciated.

Karma points are fine, beer vouchers better.

Tell you what, compile a list of what is wanted, exactly and I will ask next time there, might even make a trip there soon if a decent list pops up.

Pictures would help.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very modest :

all I want is a decent 10 inch radial table saw on a stand. It is not needed to be of highest professional quality -good home worker stuff . Things like that cost about $ 120 -150 in the USA , but I know this is Thailand!

Re: Karma vs beer -no problem amigo , when I come to pick up that saw we make a point to meet and your beers are a sure thing ,but I will help drinking if you willl not mind.

Thanks for the trouble -in advance

Jay

They call it wood st. It is at the end of the subway system where the train station is. Think that one is hua lamphang. Get a taxi from there and only 5 minutes away. If anyone else knows the name please post it.

But it is a soi full of wood work shops, timber and furniture merchants and tool sellers. I have seen all the tools you requestd there. Although they are not all in stock at the same time.

Best bet is to take someone who speaks good Thai with you if you do not. Next best bet is to also take a printed picture of exactly what you want and then it is clear as day what you want and they can tell you if they have it, or can order it etc.

It is in Nontaburi

wood%20street_12092007.jpg

13°48'36.89"N , 100°31'51.95"E

Lots of timber and nice wooden furniture available on this soi and the 2 on either side of it. - and across the road from the sign ( where I took the photo ) there is a nice little restaurant on the corner.

So if I give the taxi dude those co ordinates he should be right...right ?

Anyone know the name, as I said I lost it in my phone. Or is the name in thai on that sign above the soi ?

The traffic is exiting, we looked for somewhere to eat there last time and did not find anything good close by. Must have missed that one.

Mobaan, got a photo of what it is you want exactly, usually easier.

Also anyone else want a price on anything ? Not sure when going there again, but if a list gathers i might make a special trip.

This might be a good thread to ask.

What is the law in Thailand regarding bench saws ?

My next door neighbour is a builder,and last year I bought a lot of seasoned teak to make new window frames etc for the top floor,I offered to buy a bench saw and planer combi I found in Tool Pro for him to use but he told me that since the logging ban they are illegal and if you have one the BiB come.

This was confirmed by a large woodworking shop owner I met, he has 60 staff all working with hand tools.

I knew chain saws were off limits but seems a bit daft to restrict bench saws and planers.

Any clues?

So if I give the taxi dude those co ordinates he should be right...right ?

Anyone know the name, as I said I lost it in my phone. Or is the name in thai on that sign above the soi ?

The traffic is exiting, we looked for somewhere to eat there last time and did not find anything good close by. Must have missed that one.

put those co-ordinates in google earth and you can work out how to get there - and maybe someone can translate the Thai name for you

the streets either side are one way going the other way.

the restaurant is Thai and has an air conditioned area upstairs

This might be a good thread to ask.

What is the law in Thailand regarding bench saws ?

My next door neighbour is a builder,and last year I bought a lot of seasoned teak to make new window frames etc for the top floor,I offered to buy a bench saw and planer combi I found in Tool Pro for him to use but he told me that since the logging ban they are illegal and if you have one the BiB come.

This was confirmed by a large woodworking shop owner I met, he has 60 staff all working with hand tools.

I knew chain saws were off limits but seems a bit daft to restrict bench saws and planers.

Any clues?

I think your next door neighbour is pulling your chain there ozzy. :o

I have two bench saws and a sliding table saw as well as numerous other wood working tools (including planers) & it would be a first for me to hear of any regulations concerning those. That is not to say there may not be regulations in certain Jungwats where logging and woodwork are sensitive issues.

Cheers,

Soundman. :D

So Soundman ,where did you buy your sliding table saw?

For professional wood and metal working equipment have a look at these Bkk based sites.

http://www.panasa.co.th/ - professional level wood working machinery

http://www.sopexgroup.com/ - have mid range price table saws

http://www.allarm.co.th/ - reasonable quality for price metal working and laser cutting equipment

Cheers,

Soundman. :o

I am still searching for the answer, I took a print out of a bench saw up to the village boss and got the same answer, (cannot have in village).

The biggest hardware shop in town has a home-made one ,minus blade and I asked the boss could he rip some planks down to 3x3/4 and he said cannot ,we not have permit.

So it seems that a special permit is required ,(in this area anyway).

Tool-Pro have combi benches so I will ask the manager next week what the score is..

Ok, 'wood st' in Bang Pho.

This first one was a Makita 12 inch for 11,000b

post-59174-1208661530_thumb.jpg

This one is a Taiwan no name brand 10 inch for 4000b

post-59174-1208661544_thumb.jpg

Thanks a lot Pal . There seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Those mashines are still a little crude looking ,but ...

I will check this out when I come in June -it seems to be worth spending an extra day in BKK .

It is in Nontaburi

wood%20street_12092007.jpg

13°48'36.89"N , 100°31'51.95"E

Lots of timber and nice wooden furniture available on this soi and the 2 on either side of it. - and across the road from the sign ( where I took the photo ) there is a nice little restaurant on the corner.

Lived down the road from there, walked down the sois many times..it is about 100baht trip from Kosan rd...bought some god tools there my self and went to waych the wood workers,,,found the price of windows and doors more expensive there...

The so called Wood Street is near the Bang Sue Subway Station, not quite in Nonthaburi but pretty near.

I ride my bicycle thru that area and have been down wood street many times.

• 5 months later...

Been racking my brain for JUST this problem on Samui too.

I would idealy like a sliding table with integral clamp,

since I want to do good sized pieces with an angle repeatably.

The Dewalt is a nice size and no0t too expensive, but unavailable...

Panasa is WAY off the charts,

but Sopex seems good so far on a quick look.

I doubt any will take a Visa card to buy it though...

Soundman good one you!

Are you really a sound man or a man of sound qualities..

or both?

Best regards

D

Spoke to soon.

Sopex has no working phone number on website.

So back to square one and not sure if I can get to Bkk for 3 weeks.

Lose the Craftsman tomorrow evening.

Need a belty sander, Compound Mitre saw and table saw...

to easy to use too hard to find. Can't possibly imagine them banning table saws,

no doubt some communication issue between government directive and assorted Tambons.

or somebody wants money for kick backs, so INTERPRETED the law to fit.

AT

Edited by animatic