Where To Recruit Hotel Staff

simon43

After operating my small hotel for 18 months, I have been making concerted efforts to improve the customer service etc.

Although some of the existing staff are working fine, several employees (notably some close family members - surprise, surprise!), seem to treat working for me and my wife as some sort of holiday :o Despite many (many!) warnings and encouragements from both of us to improve their work ethic, there has been no change and their disinclination to improve their English language knowledge causes problems when me or my wife are not present at the hotel.

So, a few staff have to go and new employees recruited.

I am placing an advert in the Phuket Gazette, but I also want to know if there are any recruitment/staff agencies here in Phuket.

Any details gratefully received!

Simon

simon, you should get onto phuketall.com as thats where i found a lot of staff for the hotel i was working at. its where most hospitality staff in phuket look for work.

good luck! i know its not easy!

Yep, my gf who is an HR Manager at a hotel uses phuketall.com. However finding people who speak English and have even the vaguest notion of customer service on Phuket is not easy.

At her previous hotel which was, which was 5 star, she gave all the staff an English test to assess their level. Not one of them was above "beginner" level.

Happened to me when I started my business here in Phuket as well. Hard to find the "communication"level English speaking from local / Phuket staff. Most of my staff relocated from BKK, which I think it worth for me. I found that deal with BKK-based people is a bit easier than southern Thai ...

After operating my small hotel for 18 months, I have been making concerted efforts to improve the customer service etc.

Although some of the existing staff are working fine, several employees (notably some close family members - surprise, surprise!), seem to treat working for me and my wife as some sort of holiday :o Despite many (many!) warnings and encouragements from both of us to improve their work ethic, there has been no change and their disinclination to improve their English language knowledge causes problems when me or my wife are not present at the hotel.

So, a few staff have to go and new employees recruited.

I am placing an advert in the Phuket Gazette, but I also want to know if there are any recruitment/staff agencies here in Phuket.

Any details gratefully received!

Simon

Doesn't suprise me, I stayed at your place last year for a few weeks. Nice resort - I had a great time and I enjoyed myself there, but a few of your staff were very relaxed.. initially I thought they were on holiday too!

Good luck with the staff hunt!

Cheers,

//Bob

simon, you should get onto phuketall.com as thats where i found a lot of staff for the hotel i was working at. its where most hospitality staff in phuket look for work.

good luck! i know its not easy!

Donna makes a good point as always, but be aware the phuketall.com is swamped with postings. Something you put up at 9:00 am will be on page 12 or 13 by the evening. If you want to use it then you need to re-post every couple of hours throughout the day for two or three days in a row to generate applications.

Jobsdb.com and thailandhotelier.com are also useful sites for recruiting, as is posting something up at the labour office in town and at universities (Prince of Songkla students seem to have the best work experience and language skills imho).

Did this Project ever go further than a photo op ?

" North Chiang Mai University in cooperation with the Thai Southern Hotels Association is supporting Chiang Mai residents to be trained to work in four and five star hotels in the southern region. After completing their instruction, the trainees will be offered jobs immediately in the “THA-NCU Cooperation for Human Resources Development: TNC” project."

Read on :

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/194/news.shtml "North University offers a chance for Chiang Mai workers to work in southern hotels"