Hypothetically Speaking

chemist

For seven years now I have been alternating between Thailand and Sweden. While in Sweden I have worked, and while in Thailand I have supported myself and my Thai wife with funds obtained from working in Sweden.

In about two weeks it is time to go back to Sweden again (to work), but this time I can't help but wonder what it would be like to live AND work in Thailand. I like it here, and view my home country mostly as a place to earn money. About me:

- I have a Ph D degree in organic/medicinal chemistry.

- I also hold a university diploma (a two year degree) in mathematics.

- Work experience: Almost three years within the pharmaceutical industry, where I have been employed as a medicinal chemist.

- I am not a native speaker of English, but my English skills are viewed as very good by my friends and ex-coworkers.

- As a Ph D student it was required of me to teach undergraduate students during various chemistry courses, and hence I have some teaching experience.

- I don't have a TEFL diploma or similar degree (but I suppose I could get one, of course).

- Right now I am in Thailand on a Mult Entry Non Imm type O visa valid until November 2008.

- I am 40 years old.

So, given the above, would it be possible for me to get for example a decent teaching position in Thailand? (By decent I mean that the salary should be 40 K+, and that the working environment should be reasonably pleasant.) I am flexible when it comes to location.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. :D I have not landed a job in Sweden yet, and the situation there when it comes to chemistry positions is deteriorating rapidly. I know that Thailand is not the ideal solution when it comes to income, security, etc, but money isn't everything... (And please note that at this point working in Thailand is a hypothetical, but interesting, subject for me.)

Cheers :o

chemist

If your credentials are legit then you might be a good fit for an International School , teaching science and not English.

Some international schools might accept him, but not the best as he doesn't have teaching credentials. My suggestion would be to look at english programs here where you can teach mathematics and / or science. You can easily command 40K, and up to possibly 60-70K depending on the school. I work in an EP and have been here several years. There's the usual BS but nothing too drastic.

Right now, schools are being pushed to have their teachers get the new Teaching Licence, which would require you to have teaching credits (or pass equivalency exams). See other threads for this info, and look at ajarn.com for more info). So if you want to be here for any stretch of time you might want to consider in enroling in a teaching course here (such as at ABAC). It seems there will be a grace period for some (all?) teachers of about 3 years, to get these qualifications. This is my understanding after taling to people involved in the new TL process.

Goodluck!

As a Phd, some Universities will be interested as there is a big push on credibility, not just in Thailand, so faculty members maybe feeling some pressure to publish. The pay would be 40k+ but you would be expected to produce research, English language ability is important but teaching is lesser so, in these positions.

I have a freind doing post doctoral research in Thailand and supervising Thai PHd students and the pay for this is not much more than 40k last i heard

Its not much really for the qualifications and responsibility.

Have you thought about the Pharma/iotech industry in Singapore - this is where its happening in this region

Teaching down here is much more lucrative too and they are trying to attract scientist's and pay them their real worth.

Prakanong, are you working in the pharmaceutical industry in Singapore yourself? How does it compare to working in Thailand, apart from the salary issue? I have actually given Singapore a thought a while ago, since the pharmaceutical industry in Thailand seems to revolve around manufacturing cheap generics (that is, not much research, except for what goes on at some universities).

Also, do you know of any good internet site that explains visa and work issues etc when it comes to Singapore?

Thanks in advance. :o

chemist

Prakanong, are you working in the pharmaceutical industry in Singapore yourself? How does it compare to working in Thailand, apart from the salary issue? I have actually given Singapore a thought a while ago, since the pharmaceutical industry in Thailand seems to revolve around manufacturing cheap generics (that is, not much research, except for what goes on at some universities).

Also, do you know of any good internet site that explains visa and work issues etc when it comes to Singapore?

Thanks in advance. :o

chemist

Yes I work in Big Pharma in Singapore but in the regional HQ and not at the research centres or manufacturing plants.

I enjoy working in Singapore a lot more than I did in Thailand but its a personal thing - I like the work ethic here and I enjoy being paid a western salary ie the correct rate for what I do. I could have been in Thailand on the same rates but the tax would have been a lot more and I do beleive I put more money away at the end of the month here than I ever would in Thailand even after all costs have been taken into account.

PM me through the board if you like and I can answer more questions there probably easier

Someone with your qualifications would get the top level Employment Pass here and probably PR very quickly in the pharma industry - its seen as strategically very important and they are building up the clusters.