Songthaews And Other Transports

Super Hans

Can someone explain how they work in CM - where do they go, how much, what are the pitfalls etc? How much should a tuk tuk cost for a 5 min journey?

Can anyone recommend some bus trips to the local attractions? I'm not sure where I want to go, but know I've got to go there cheaply. There's quite an extensive local bus route I believe - anyone got tips for using them?

Cheers

Can someone explain how they work in CM - where do they go, how much, what are the pitfalls etc? How much should a tuk tuk cost for a 5 min journey?

Can anyone recommend some bus trips to the local attractions? I'm not sure where I want to go, but know I've got to go there cheaply. There's quite an extensive local bus route I believe - anyone got tips for using them?

Cheers

I can guarantee that whatever I write here someone will say "oh no, I only pay 3baht for a tuk-tuk ride from the airport to the shangri la" but here's what I pay.

It seems the minimum price for a tuk-tuk is 40baht prepare to haggle, the red songthaews in the city should cost 15baht, 20 baht for longer journeys. Yellow, green and white songthaews go out to the outlying areas. An example would be the yellow bus to doi saket an approx 13km journey that costs 15baht.

Some of the red buses seem to go on set roots but it depends on the driver, most go anywhere in the city thats viable for them.

A lot of it is down to getting the driver to understand where you want to go.

Edited by anonymouse

I am looking forward to getting the lay of the land in a new city :o I have the bike etc but honestly when it comes to major shopping etc a songtheaw there (and charter back) is so much more useful

Cheers

I can guarantee that whatever I write here someone will say "oh no, I only pay 3baht for a tuk-tuk ride from the airport to the shangri la" but here's what I pay.

It seems the minimum price for a tuk-tuk is 40baht prepare to haggle, the red songthaews in the city should cost 15baht, 20 baht for longer journeys. Yellow, green and white songthaews go out to the outlying areas. An example would be the yellow bus to doi saket an approx 13km journey that costs 15baht.

Some of the red buses seem to go on set roots but it depends on the driver, most go anywhere in the city thats viable for them.

A lot of it is down to getting the driver to understand where you want to go.

Thanks for that. So there's no risk of telling the driver you want to go somewhere and him thinking you've chartered the bus, at an exhoribant rate?

Always fix the price first.

If you can't explain where you want to go to try naming the nearest landmark / hotel unless that is where you want to go in which case smile and try the next songteaw :o

If you want you could charter a tuk-tuk (or songtaew) for a set period of time. You will have to give them some idea of where you want top go because the distance covered will be reflected in the price.

You tell the driver where you want to go, if he agrees, you pay the minimum fee (I think that it is still 15 baht, but if someone has seen numerous official notices stating otherwise, please let us know.

If the driver names a higher price, you bargain with him until you both agree or you let him go and try another.

If you try to get him to say "Yes, 15 baht", you will probably confuse him and he will probably think that you are a tourist and don't understand the system and will try to get more.

You tell the driver where you want to go, if he agrees, you pay the minimum fee (I think that it is still 15 baht, but if someone has seen numerous official notices stating otherwise, please let us know.

If the driver names a higher price, you bargain with him until you both agree or you let him go and try another.

If you try to get him to say "Yes, 15 baht", you will probably confuse him and he will probably think that you are a tourist and don't understand the system and will try to get more.

UG,

You provided me with similar advice in a previous thread here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=163796

I must say, it has worked like a champ! I've been only paying 20 THB ever since... :D Many many thanks!

About a month or two ago, I ran into another American that had been here about a month already. He said that he had never taken a songthaew and paid under 100 THB. He said usually he was paying 120 THB and up for short trips (such as Mikes Burgers on "Niemenhiemeriamianiam Road to Kad Sun Kaew), and thought he was getting a discount when he "only" had to pay 100 baht.

I imparted your wisdom onto him and also explained to him that he could also rent a motorbike for 24 hours at the rate he was paying for one short songthaew trip! I hope its helped him as much as it has me.

I must say, with 7 previous trips to Thailand and almost 4 months of now living here in Chiang Mai, the songthaew system has been THE most difficult thing for me to figure out (along with the correct spelling of "Niemenhiemeriamianiam" Road :o ). Judging from these two threads, I'm not alone. Maybe a pinned topic is in order?

-Mestizo

Edited by Mestizo

The bus that goes off on set roots sounds interesting.

Blinky Bill comes from Australia but his roots are in Chiang Mai.

Alas, sceadugenga's bus is only a single root vehicle now and any deviation could possibly lead to the wheels coming off.