Animals In The Whisky

peter991

There's an article I read online today entitled Officials seize 411 vodka bottles infused with snakes. Briefly, US officials were baffled last week when they discovered 411 bottles of vodka — each infused with a 25cm rattlesnake.

Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission agents seized the illegal bottles at Bayou Bob's Brazos River Rattlesnake Ranch, the Fort Worth-Star Telegram reports.

Authorities received a tip off several weeks ago and sent an agent to buy the vodka, which is believed to take on aphrodisiac properties with the addition of the snake.

When I visited the Golden Triangle, one of the most popular items on sale (apart from the 200 baht cartons of Marlboro cigarettes) were bottles of whisky with a scorpion or small snale in the bottom of the bottle.

Before that - the only animal in alcohol was the famous tequila worm!

Are these whisky bottles the same idea as the Darwin Stubby (A stubby is usually a beer bottle of 375ml. but in Darwin it is two litres! In the days when Darwin was the city with the highest beerconsumption per capita in the world this saved a lot of walking back and forth to the fridge. Nowadays only tourists buy the Darwin stubby as the two litres of beer will set you back about $20) which is placed on the mantlepiece as a souvenir or do people actuaqlly drink the contents?

Peter

btw I just thought of something to add a Thai flavour (pun intended) to the thread.

A few years ago I read in the Outlook section of the Bangkok Post that in some areas of Thailand they drown those huge centipedes in Lao Khaw. The venom is supposed to soak out and the resulting brew gives you more "power". About two days later I pitched up at my usual breakfast/lunch haunt to find it some disarray. Eventually a guy emerges wearing those heavy duty leather industrial gloves carrying one such centipede that was duly dropped into a bottle which was topped up with the famous brew. A couple of days after that I dropped in during the evening for a few beers and was presented with a shot glass of the resulting cocktail.

Did it give me additional "power"? No noticeable difference, another urban myth laid to rest.

When I moved to Australia, I thought about starting a souvenir business called Pickled Creepy Critturs !! sadly it was doomed to failure from the start, I could not get the Koalas to stay in the Bottle :o Nignoy