Can I

spasticated

Air rifle, can I put it in my bag and bring here form the UK if I notify my carrier, Emirates or could I bring it over in pieces?? Not a firearm as such in the uk if below 12lb foot powerwise I think?

yes ....if emirates are ok about it which they should be as not illegal....i think you might have to inform customs too just in case .my friend brought one over,had a little fuss at airport but he had informed first so no problem at all.

<br />
Air rifle, can I put it in my bag and bring here form the UK if I notify my carrier, Emirates or could I bring it over in pieces?? Not a firearm as such in the uk if below 12lb foot powerwise I think?
<br /><br />yes ....if emirates are ok about it which they should be as not illegal....i think you might have to inform customs too just in case .my friend brought one over,had a little fuss at airport but he had informed first so no problem at all.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks Ill check with both before i come

<br />
<br /><br />yes ....if emirates are ok about it which they should be as not illegal....i think you might have to inform customs too just in case .my friend brought one over,had a little fuss at airport but he had informed first so no problem at all.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks Ill check with both before i come

I'd check with the Thai embassy as well if I were you. I thought about getting one some time ago, but I believe Thailand classifies them as firearms, so need a licence.....Trouble is, as far as I know, farangs cannot get a licence. I stand to be corrected on the above.

Edited by Eric1949

Maybe you should get in touch with Weekend Warrior,he's the firearms expert.

Agree with Jdinisia....why on earth would you want to bring one? Definitely not in your hand luggage and is it really worth taking the risk?Better check with the authorities.

the only question I have is ... why would you want to bring an air rifle with you?

pigeons,rats,cockroaches(gotta be a bit hot to get them at 50m),tresspassers,ladies who wont go,sleeping security guards,street dogs that chase/bite,target shooting,scaring potential burglars/neighbours,anyshops that dont carry change,shirtless sweaty farangs,tonys gym etc...shall i go on :o:D:D

Air rifles require the same licence as a shotgun in Thailand, they are classed as a firearm. I have both an air rifle and a shotgun both in the wifes name nad it was the same process for both (the air rifle has a Thai serial number ingraved in to the stock).

And if you're wondering the air rifle is for remote snake control!! The shotgun is a bit noisy!!

<br />
<br /><br /><br />Air rifles require the same licence as a shotgun in Thailand, they are classed as a firearm. I have both an air rifle and a shotgun both in the wifes name nad it was the same process for both (the air rifle has a Thai serial number ingraved in to the stock).<br />And if you're wondering the air rifle is for remote snake control!! The shotgun is a bit noisy!!<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks for the replies, answers why, Its a nice quality rifle cost a fair few hundred £,s in the UK bought it about 6 years ago and I just like target shooting. I was also asked by a friend who has serious pidgeon problem if they were legal as a shotgun would demolish his houe. Thai Visa is a quick easy way to ask I always follow up by asking the relevant authorities to make sure. No it was to go in my bag not hand luggage. I reckon a Thai bought one will probably be well over the Uk limit so will get the wife to get one here I have got 5 rai of land shouldnt be a problem to get a little privacy shooting there 6 foot high wall etc no neighbours

<br />
<br /><br /><br />Air rifles require the same licence as a shotgun in Thailand, they are classed as a firearm. I have both an air rifle and a shotgun both in the wifes name nad it was the same process for both (the air rifle has a Thai serial number ingraved in to the stock).<br />And if you're wondering the air rifle is for remote snake control!! The shotgun is a bit noisy!!<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks for the replies, answers why, Its a nice quality rifle cost a fair few hundred £,s in the UK bought it about 6 years ago and I just like target shooting. I was also asked by a friend who has serious pidgeon problem if they were legal as a shotgun would demolish his houe. Thai Visa is a quick easy way to ask I always follow up by asking the relevant authorities to make sure. No it was to go in my bag not hand luggage. I reckon a Thai bought one will probably be well over the Uk limit so will get the wife to get one here I have got 5 rai of land shouldnt be a problem to get a little privacy shooting there 6 foot high wall etc no neighbours

When we applied for the licence, we had to give them a reason for wanting it also provide the standard map of the property and we were also asked for photos for the shotgun licence but then the reason we used for that was home security!

For the licence you have to make the initial application at the Amphur office. It should be quite easy as long as your wife has here name in the housebook in that Amphur.

It's quite a long winded proccess and has to be vetted by about 3 different local officials, you then get a 2 part licence and you can go and buy whatever is on the licence, the shop will then register the sale. From memory it coast about 2500 baht.

With 5 rai I don't think you'll have a problem getting it for "pest control", the main place to buy them in Thailand is around little india in Bangkok. You may well find that cost wise the price of an air rifle and a small calibre rifle are very similar, I think the air rifles are expensive compared to the UK.

If you need more info PM me.

You do need a license if you want to have an airgun legally...there are classed as firearms here (not in the US where I'm from). I believe it will have to be in the name of your Thai wife or somebody else who's Thai or at least has permanent residence. If you're on a yearly visa, as most of us are, you can't legally have a gun here. Thai law classifies a firearm as any type of projectile weapon using compressed gas, be it air or combustion gases from gunpowder. I'm sure you could find on one the street somewhere, but if you got caught it could be nasty. I'd like to do some target shooting at a local range myself as I used to do this all the time in the USA. Unfortunately, it's just too expensive and too much of a hassle to get a gun/ammo. Perhaps you could try a bow, crossbow or wristrocket (slingshot). They use no gas like a firearm or airgun and can be purchased at the mall or sporting goods stores. They're quiet too so it won't disturb anybody.

You do need a license if you want to have an airgun legally...there are classed as firearms here (not in the US where I'm from). I believe it will have to be in the name of your Thai wife or somebody else who's Thai or at least has permanent residence. If you're on a yearly visa, as most of us are, you can't legally have a gun here. Thai law classifies a firearm as any type of projectile weapon using compressed gas, be it air or combustion gases from gunpowder. I'm sure you could find on one the street somewhere, but if you got caught it could be nasty. I'd like to do some target shooting at a local range myself as I used to do this all the time in the USA. Unfortunately, it's just too expensive and too much of a hassle to get a gun/ammo. Perhaps you could try a bow, crossbow or wristrocket (slingshot). They use no gas like a firearm or airgun and can be purchased at the mall or sporting goods stores. They're quiet too so it won't disturb anybody.

Hmmmmmm there appear to be two types of "airgun" ones that are powered by compressed gases and ones powered by a spring wonder if this would circumvent the compressed gases or gases part?.

Yes you are correct depends if the gas needed to be the primary source though dont know if the the law could be sidestepped as i see some childrens "toys" use the same method? Sure I read someone managed it somewhere claiming a similar reply re the spring

Thanks for all replies I wont try bringing it it seems a lot fo hassle.