Thailand Is A Mecca For Drunks?

garro

Thailand is a mecca for drunks?  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I believe a lot of people drink more while in Thailand than they would in their home countries. I've observed more of this trend among Europeans than among North Americans. It seems that there are more Europeans here, so it's hard to be certain. People I've met from Europe have told me how expensive it is to drink, especially in places like Sweden where alcohol is heavily taxed. As mentioned before, many people come here for the fun lifestyle and increased alcohol consumption often goes with this lifestyle change. That said, I find beer to be the drink of choice among most expats here. Back in the States, people often drink liquor and wine coolers too.

I haven't heard of Thailand being branded a Mecca for drunks. Pago Pago in American Samoa maybe be a Mecca for drunks though.

Not a drunk, but I do drink more here than in Texas (not to say I'm exactly dry there either though).

Will be starting early today, probably in about 45 minutes around 1pm and will follow up with a nice massage and dinner at K Town. More free time, not enough indoor/well shaded tennis courts.

:o

"There's a big difference between the expat who drinks beer every night and the guy who will sell his soul for a bottle of Saeng Som."

Important distinction!!

Many do not make it and try to align the two - its usually the ex-drinkers too that say it but not in your case.

expats are almost drinkers by definition, in most places you find large expat populations, you find a high incidence of drinkers

Is it just the ones you see though?

I go out and about but I never see anyone from my company out drinking (Singapore is not that big unless they are secret boozers) and of the ones I know well enough I know they hardly ever go out for a drink and then only with famly.

I drink more here than in the U.S., but less than in Japan.

I drink more than most Thai female teachers, but far less than most foreign male teachers, who also drink far less than many Thai male teachers or Japanese teachers (male or female).

I never drink on work nights, and the number of work nights has increased.

I don't drink alone, but I am rarely alone. I drink in clubs but I drink far less than most Thai club patrons (though I am encouraged by them to drink more, quite often of their store).

I used to drink sweet or high-carb drinks (like rum & coke, gin & tonic, beer) but now I drink low-carb drinks (whiskey & soda). I tend to water down the drinks heavily; with the right mindset, it's the number of glasses rather than the number of ounces of alcohol that matters.

Four or five years ago, I was going through one bottle of rum a month... and now, I go through about one bottle of whiskey a month. For my health, of course.

"S"

I just wanted to know what others thought about this.

Does Thailand tend to attract ex-pats who are heavy drinkers?

I know that I was when I came here and there seems to be a lot of it around.

What do others think?

you obviously haven't met many expats in other countries.

I drink more here than in the U.S., but less than in Japan.

Yep, I think Japan's a place to become a heavy drinker. Getting plastered seems acceptable, judging by the ammount of Salarymen and Salarywomen slaughtered on a Friday night. :D

(Slaughtered = drunk, not killed! ) :o

Edited by Maigo6

What do others think?

you obviously haven't met many expats in other countries.

Why obviously?

I've been an ex-pat for over twenty years.

I lived in Saudi before I came here.

And before anyone responds to Garo with "But there is no alcohol in Saudi" -- From on the ground here I can only say.... Hic!

---

Yes a new signature line (well a few months old now) reflectig my progress towards completing a degree in Classics.

There are other distractions in life than the bottle.

And before anyone responds to Garo with "But there is no alcohol in Saudi" -- From on the ground here I can only say.... Hic!

---

Yes a new signature line (well a few months old now) reflectig my progress towards completing a degree in Classics.

There are other distractions in life than the bottle.

Funny thing is GH, I know quite a few people that moved to Saudi in the hope of quiting alcohol.

In some cases this was a fatal mistake.

I think there's 2 reasons people seem to be more drunk here than back 'home'.

1 is that the alcohol is stronger here than back home, compare 3.75% lager in England to 6.4% bottled Chang and you're drinking almost 50% more alcohol even if the volume you consume hasn't increased. To make the comparison more fair draught Chang is 5% alcohol so still a 20% increase.

2 is that if you don't make an effort to do anything other than go to bars you build up your alcohol tolerance and have to consume more and more.

I've met more alcoholics in Saudi than I have in Thailand.

Edited by PattayaParent

Isn't it far easier to drink heavily and often here, compared to the West? Less likely here to get caught driving drunk, less likely for the barkeep to turn you down for your fourth or fourteenth drink of the night, just more likely to be socially acceptable here. There are vast stretches of North America where being a drunk (or even a known drinker) makes you a pariah.

We had a local drive 150 km to the last resort beach in Texas, South Padre Island. Within ten minutes of checking into our hotel, he was in jail for drunk driving. He checked out the next morning, still irate at the local police. I explained not too kindly that we actually enforced the liquor laws. I doubt that would happen in Thailand.

Well too be honest I dont really care... Like others I have visited Thailand and love the place Iv been to Ibiza, Aya Napa, Europe and its all the same. I currently live in the Middle East and people drink hel_l of a lot if you believe it or not. Thailand is the best place in my view you can be free as you want and there is no rules. The culture is fantastic plus the people... so let the place be a haven for the Mecca's when i go back its all Party baby!!!!

What do others think?

:o When I first came to BKK...back in 1977 if you believe it...I was one of the barhopping booze and sex types you are talking about. Eventually I realized it was slowly (or not so slowly) killing me. I gave it up, but it still did damage that is starting to show in my 60's now.

It isn't really Thailand, it is the alchohol that eventually kills. It's just that it is easily available in Thailand.

Don't get me wrong I'm not anti-drinking. It's just that you have to know how to handle it, and when to stop. I had to learn that the hard way.

Never have been a heavy drinker, didn't like to drink at home and still don't like it, but could drink quite some during weekends back home.

Now I hardly drink anymore, primarily because of my work with pet animals and their owners.

Most foreign people that I meet through my work, ain't heavy drinkers as well.

So my vote is 'disagree'.

Nienke

I was going to say I don't know anybody who goes to Thailand purely for the booze but I just remembered a couple of European characters from some years back. They used to appear in Pattaya every three months or so and their day consisted of rising around 11 -12 am, going to a beer bar and drinking until virtually comatose, going back to their rooms and sleeping it off. Repeat until departure day. Not my idea of a holiday but each to their own and they never caused, or got involved in, any trouble which makes them the ideal beer bar customers.

Must have been scandinavians. :o

cheers

onzestan

You care to substantiate that? Last time I checked, the Brits were the stereotypes, let's keep it that :D

I was going to say I don't know anybody who goes to Thailand purely for the booze but I just remembered a couple of European characters from some years back. They used to appear in Pattaya every three months or so and their day consisted of rising around 11 -12 am, going to a beer bar and drinking until virtually comatose, going back to their rooms and sleeping it off. Repeat until departure day. Not my idea of a holiday but each to their own and they never caused, or got involved in, any trouble which makes them the ideal beer bar customers.

cheers

onzestan

You care to substantiate that? Last time I checked, the Brits were the stereotypes, let's keep it that :D

Actually he was right on the nail with that, Norwegians to be precise. So take your Brit bashing predujices and shove them where the sun don't shine (if you can get them past your head that is).

cheers

onzestan

Actually he was right on the nail with that, Norwegians to be precise. So take your Brit bashing predujices and shove them where the sun don't shine (if you can get them past your head that is).

Just so you know, it was a joke - hence the smilie. I did not get offended, neither should you.

I really could care less if people bash Scandinavian tourists, I know what the bulk of that specific segment of tourists are like, regardless of nationality.

I could continue with many stereotypes about tourists who are British nationals or any other nationality for that matter but I think I will pass, since patriotism is obviously circled to the highest degree.