T V Member In Midnight Car Smash

Rimmer

Well known T.V. Poster Mobi was involved in a head on collision last night on the Marbachan Lake Road close to his home.

It seems he was returning home from town late last evening when he was in a head on collision with a Baht Bus.

Mobi was pulled from the wreck of his brand new Fortuna by his wife who was quite by chance returning home from work at the same time. He is at present recovering in hospital and when I spoke with him was being X Rayed for possible whip lash damage to his neck and other complications.

I am sure we all wish him a speedy recovery.

When I hear more I will post up dates.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoke to him a few moments ago and read to him all the good wishes. He is deeply touched and thanks everyone very much.

Despite being very badly cut and bruised around the face He is a very cheerful Mobi and thinks he will be discharged tomorrow and be back posting by the evening.

Hopefully the next update will be from Mobi himself.

Edited by Rimmer

head on collision...relatively minor injuries...discharge tomorrow...someone has been living right and storing up some good Karma! Though I don't know you personally Mobi...all the best for a speedy and complete recovery :o

It's even better than good Karma, the air bags did not deploy despite an estimated closing speed of over 120kph according to Mobi. There is more! The front of the car was demolished but the passenger compartment remained intact.

head on collision...relatively minor injuries...discharge tomorrow...someone has been living right and storing up some good Karma! Though I don't know you personally Mobi...all the best for a speedy and complete recovery :o

It's even better than good Karma, the air bags did not deploy despite an estimated closing speed of over 120kph according to Mobi. There is more! The front of the car was demolished but the passenger compartment remained intact.

Ouch! Thank God for modern car design with it's toughened passenger compartment shell.

Ouch! Thank God for modern car design with it's toughened passenger compartment shell.

Ouch indeed!

Glad to hear that whilst the Fortuner is probably a write off, Mobi isn't!

Looking forward to reading your posts again soon Mobi!

Hi, Mobi is back!! Walking wounded, but mercifully in one piece.

Many, many thanks to all of you who have wished me well – it quite takes my breath away, and I really appreciate it.

And thanks to Rimmer for letting you all know what had happened.

For the record I was driving my 2 year old Toyota Fortuner and the vehicle I hit wasn’t a Baht bus, it was a pick-up and the combined speed of the vehicles must have been at least 180 kms. The pick up driver says he was doing 80 - so he was doing at least that - and I rarely drive under 100.

I can’t remember anything so I’ll never know what actually happened, but the other driver claimed I swerved onto the other side of the road and I hit him. I was unconscious in the car for 10 – 15 minutes, and when I came round I was lying in the passenger seat, with my shirt soaked in blood, and saw many people looking in at me through the side windows.When I emerged from the car the road was packed with hundreds of people - must have been half the Darkside population there.

3 points here– I wasn’t wearing the seat belt, (I know - very foolish, never again), none of the air bags opened, and all the car doors automatically locked so no one could get in. If the car had caught fire I would have burned to death. (I shall write about this in the motor forum.)

I unlocked the doors myself, and thank God my wife had turned up at the crash scene in her own car. She told me later everyone thought I was dead, and she was terrified to go near the car. I was then dumped ignominiously in the back of one of those rescue pick-ups and rushed off to Pattaya Int’l Hospital on Soi 6. I have severe bruising about my head, a bad cut above my eye requiring 3 stitches, and my ear was ‘hanging off’, and has required 9 stitches. I had (still have?) concussion, and I have severe whiplash to my neck. They reckon there is a hairline fracture in my neck, but it should heal naturally. I also have a fever, which they are putting down to the wounds being infected, and they wanted me to stay in hospital, but it is a dump, so I discharged myself and am now back home. (A thread due on Pattaya hospitals methinks).

The other driver, a sixty old Thai male, was hardly hurt, and his vehicle is not badly damaged. He is a wonderful person and came to visit me in hospital together with his son, who is a policeman. They were very kind and were concerned about me. They didn’t want any money or anything, but my wife insisted on paying for some expenses he had incurred on having his pick-up moved and he asked her if she was sure she could afford it.

I have fully comp insurance which will pay for all repairs to both cars and my hospital bills are also covered.

My car would be a write off back home, but here they will fix it. It has already been shipped off to Bangkok, as there’s no place here that can do this kind of job.

Everyone is telling me that I must have very good karma, because I should be dead, and yet I have got away with relatively minor injuries, and even the guy I hit wasn’t hurt and didn’t want to make trouble and ‘screw’ a farang. Even the police have finalised the case and released the cars for repair.

Here’s few pics of my poor Mobi mobile.

post-25991-1206089112_thumb.jpg post-25991-1206089222_thumb.jpg

post-25991-1206089284_thumb.jpg post-25991-1206089452_thumb.jpg