T V Member In Midnight Car Smash

Rimmer

Glad you're back in circulation Mobi and mainly intact, reckon you've used up all your positive karma, be more careful in future :o

VERY, VERY worrying that the doors locked and the airbags didn't deploy, another Fortuner software issue perhaps (remember the ABS problem?).

Edited by Crossy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did this accident happen? Someone been drinking or what?

I'd be having issues with the car manufacturer about those airbags, sounds very dodgy that they didn't work.

I have no recollection of what happened. The few minutes before the accident are a complete blank. The other driver says I swerved into his lane. However the crash happened just after after the sharp left bend near the entrance to Siam Country club golf course. Many Thai drivers have a habit of cutting off this corner when they come the other way, so it is possible he was on my side of the road. But we'll never know for sure, as there were no witnesses and the position of the vehicles was inconclusive.

I will certainly be taking up the failure of the air bags with Toyota.

Hi Mobi, welcome back ! Hope all is 100% fine with you

Fortuner .... well, anyway, as every car in this world it's only a load of metal, so....if it is written off, it is not a big deal....Most important is the people inside huh !! Good you got out rather unscathed !!!

Couple of issues ;

1 ) the airbag failure

2) Door lock system.....should be the exact opposite, I mean that it should automatically unlock in case of crash...

3) the time it took to get you out of the car .....why 10 to 15 mn ?

4) the way they put you in this awfull pick up truck to bring you to the hospital.....there is a bit of work to be done, there....

5) hospital compared to a dump.....!! Scary

anyway, congratulation for the lucky escape

...edit.. Thai drivers have a habit of cutting off this corner when they come the other way, so it is possible he was on my side of the road. .......

Can take that (almost) for granted!

But be happy that you're still walking amongst us!

Chook dee!

...edit.. Thai drivers have a habit of cutting off this corner when they come the other way, so it is possible he was on my side of the road. .......

This has to be a reason for many many accidents in Thailand, I am always looked upon as being stupid and wasting petrol/time whatever when I stay in my lane when going around a corner or a bend instead of going the short way and cutting the corner.

Very glad to hear your back at home and all your pieces have been sewn back together mate.

Seeing this thread today was a huge shock mate, as I am sure you are aware. Infact just today I was going to call to see if you wanted to come see my new house.

Life can change in an instant yeah?

Hope we talk soon.

I have on the same road, already twice, barely avoided a frontal collision by both being quick in response and being lucky to have had the space at the side of the road to make the evasive action.

Both times the cars coming from the other side were fully in my lane, and I can assure you with the combined speed, you have very little reaction time, let alone time to flash your lights or sound your horn! It is evade or hit!

It is also very difficult in the dark and on a winding road, to judge in advance whether the oncoming car is in your lane or not, even more limiting the time you'll have to take evasive action...

Mobi,

as a reference for you I attached the pictures of the car our driver smashed into the bridge. The damage is very similar!

The car has been declared total loss only after our insistence with both insurance and garage. We basically threatened to completely check out the car after repairs and if the frame should be only a few millimeters out of square we would refuse it.

3 days later the insurance called to tell us to prepare the paperwork to hand over the car to them and they would pay the full insured amount...

post-4701-1206097473_thumb.jpg

post-4701-1206097529_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear you're OK Mobi 1 kanobi.

I dare say your new scar will have the wimmin flocking, your "gangsta" looks will give them all a wide on :D

Next time you go out on one of your "special " nights remember to take the gimp mask off before driving home, you know it makes sense :D:o

How did this accident happen? Someone been drinking or what?

I'd be having issues with the car manufacturer about those airbags, sounds very dodgy that they didn't work.

I have no recollection of what happened. The few minutes before the accident are a complete blank. The other driver says I swerved into his lane. However the crash happened just after after the sharp left bend near the entrance to Siam Country club golf course. Many Thai drivers have a habit of cutting off this corner when they come the other way, so it is possible he was on my side of the road. But we'll never know for sure, as there were no witnesses and the position of the vehicles was inconclusive.

I will certainly be taking up the failure of the air bags with Toyota.

You still havent answere one of the questions....someone been drinking ????

Good that there was no drinking....

However, drinking or not would NOT effect airbags or door lock

These two issues are still to be clarified...plus, in my opinion the fact that you stayed 10 mn or so, locked unconscious in your car, while people were watching you without trying to break windows...

Good that there was no drinking....

However, drinking or not would NOT effect airbags or door lock

These two issues are still to be clarified...plus, in my opinion the fact that you stayed 10 mn or so, locked unconscious in your car, while people were watching you without trying to break windows...

Windows cost money Farangs cost nothing... :o

Sorry Mobi I can't resist the 'I told you so'. Can you believe that one week before his accident I told Mobi to disable those daft auto locks that lock you in the car as soon as it reaches three miles an hour, people die trapped in cars all the time but how many people die from falling out of a car with the doors closed?

Just came across this thread and shocked to hear that good old Mobi had such a bad accident. Then again I am relieved that you almost walked away from it!

Me personally I never felt comfortable in cars with that auto-lock feature and if I remember well they are not allowed where I come from for the very reason that they could fail to open in case of an accident.

Incomprehensible is the fact that none of the spectators had the idea of opening the car by smashing one of the windows.

And yes, I know this corner very well, it is one of the most dangerous ones around the lake...

Wish you all the best and speedy recovery!!

I have on the same road, already twice, barely avoided a frontal collision by both being quick in response and being lucky to have had the space at the side of the road to make the evasive action.

If it's the curve I am thinking of...it's not even too bad in the sense it is not a completely blind curve. I have been on many occasions in LOS been confronted with drivers coming almost completely in my lane from the opposite direction on completely blind curves!

to disable those daft auto locks

my vigo has those auto locks too , the doors lock with a loud thunk as soon as the car reaches about 20kmh.

they can be unlocked with the marked switch just in front of the electric window switches on the drivers door panel.

it soon becomes a habit.

hope you are recovering quickly.