What Is The Current Mood Like In Suan Phlu?

Hi all,

I have the yearly visit for annual extension of Non Imm (o) coming up and am just wondering what the current climate at Suan Phlu office is like.

Just a few questions pls. for anyone who has gone to do their yearly extension.

What is the general perception of the mood in Suan Phlu office?

Are the Imm. officers coming accross as being helpful or are they going nuts trying to pick the smallest incorrect details in one's application to pieces?

Are the Imm. officers being strict to the letter of the regs. or are they just going through the motions if you have the required paperwork ready for them to check off?

Are they asking for extra things like more photos of house / wife / children etc?

Last year around this time there was queues for around three to four hours. How busy has it been this year?

Just want a head's up before going down so I can prepare the "required" amount of paperwork and any "extras" in advance so I don't have to make two or three trips to the office.

Cheers and thanx,

Soundman. :o

Soundman, sorry to not be able to help you, but I am just curious that a working man like you have not got a PR? With 3 years on non-imm, Thai wife, and tax payments, and a minimal amount of spoken Thai, you are away. Or?

EDIT: When I was working, I never realised that I would be staying here forever, so never bothered about PR. Silly me. Now it is too late, since retirement will not cut it anymore. No big deal, but would have been nice to have.

Edited by MeaMaximaCulpa

Soundman, sorry to not be able to help you, but I am just curious that a working man like you have not got a PR? With 3 years on non-imm, Thai wife, and tax payments, and a minimal amount of spoken Thai, you are away. Or?

EDIT:
When I was working, I never realised that I would be staying here forever, so never bothered about PR. Silly me. Now it is too late, since retirement will not cut it anymore. No big deal, but would have been nice to have.

It is on the agenda - this December or next. Easy to "get lazy" about getting around to doing it though.
:o

Reason for post though...

Last year for yearly extension was two full days of driving to & waiting around SP and another day to go and "receive result". It was an absolute Monkey House. Never seen the place so full before and the IMM. officers so stressed.

Just wondering if it has relaxed at all this year.

Cheers.
:D

I picked up my one year extension from Suan Phlu within the week. I will post a lengthy post tonight or tomorrow detailing the interview, what docs they kept, etc.

Looking forward to reading it.

From my point of view, I'm not so much worried about the standard docs. as any unusual requests like "kids school report card" etc.

Cheers.

Exactly 1 week ago I did my 1 year extension based on a "Thai wife". I arrived at Immigration together with my wife at 8.10 o'clock and left 9.45 o'clock.

I presented the following papers:

Form TM 7

new photo

Passport

Work permit

Marriage Certificate

Identification card Thai wife

Phor.Ngor.Dor 1 of the last 3 months (tax receipct)

Phor.Ngor.Dor 91 (yearly salary)

Company Registration (registered capital 150,000,000 Mio Baht)

Reference of Employment (letter from employer)

4 photos taken at home

Map of my home

2 other documents was given back to me.

No questions asked. Everything ok.

Only if I asked about the requirements after my retirement, the lady in charge argued, that I have to change to a retirement visa. I told her that she gave a wrong information - obviously she didn't like this comment - but her supervisor corrected her statement and explained all options. She even mentioned that my wife could pay taxes for what needed amount necessary.

WCA 01

Exactly 1 week ago I did my 1 year extension based on a "Thai wife". I arrived at Immigration together with my wife at 8.10 o'clock and left 9.45 o'clock.

I presented the following papers:

Form TM 7

new photo

Passport

Work permit

Marriage Certificate

Identification card Thai wife

Phor.Ngor.Dor 1 of the last 3 months (tax receipct)

Phor.Ngor.Dor 91 (yearly salary)

Company Registration (registered capital 150,000,000 Mio Baht)

Reference of Employment (letter from employer)

4 photos taken at home

Map of my home

2 other documents was given back to me.

No questions asked. Everything ok.

Only if I asked about the requirements after my retirement, the lady in charge argued, that I have to change to a retirement visa. I told her that she gave a wrong information - obviously she didn't like this comment - but her supervisor corrected her statement and explained all options. She even mentioned that my wife could pay taxes for what needed amount necessary.

WCA 01

I renewed my Non Imm O in January this year for the 6th time so I believed that I had the procedure well under control considering I've never been challenged before. They were much stricter this time than ever before, so I suggest to everyone take every single item you would require if you were to make the original visa, they seem to be strict on the money in the bank rule especially it must be in your Thai bank account for more than 90 days and there's no tolerance for a few days late. They also wanted photos, in my case they already had 2 xA 4 sheets of photos, they lady told me she wanted current photos of the same house, also a diagram of how to get to your property is required, do it before you leave home as it's rather difficult drawing a map when your getting jostled in the Suan Plu office. Again different officers seem to have the different interpretations of the immigration laws. Be tolerant and play the game, get all your documents together and you'll have no problems and get there early, try to get there by 8am before the crowd gets there.

Went on Wednesday, for the annual extension of Non Imm [Retirement] at Suan Phlu office, was very fast took all of 5mins from being called to walking out with the new yearly stamp.

Took but was not asked for Map of my home...

Took copy + was asked for the 90 day reporting slip.[dated till 28th May 2008].

Form TM 7 [downloaded for there web site]

new photo

Passport + copy + don't forget to copy landing card + copy of TM47

Bank letter

Copy of last 3 monthly statements

1,900 baht

Smile

If you look on there web site it tells you what is needed for every type of Extention, while i was waiting for my number to be called was amazed at how many people had to go to the copy machine, or did not have the correct items......

this time I had to sign to say I understood about the money + the 3 months in the Bank

I just went to Suan Plu last week to extend my education visa. I got there early, before it even opened. Still there was a group of about 10-15 people waiting near the door.

I had my forms pre-filled out, photo glued on, support documentation copied and ready to turn in. When the doors opened I got my number for the correct counter, waited until they called my number and turned in my passport, application, etc. She looked over my paperwork, I paid my 1900 Baht, and was given a laminated number to retrieve my passport. 15 minutes later had my number called to pick up the passport with the new 90 day extension.

I had to get back in the queue for numbers to counters (which was considerably longer). The first time thru they wouldn't give me tickets for both the extension window and one where you report staying in the kingdom longer than 90 days. Got my ticket for that window, again had the form pre-filled out, and my number was called in 2 or 3 minutes.

All in all a problem free experience, although as I was leaving, the lines in the main room where you queue to get tickets to the various windows stretched across the room. I could see tempers flaring, people being frustrated, arguing with the girls behind the counter, etc.

Most of the problems I could see arose from;

1) Poorly dressed, scruffy, tattooed guys //slur removed// in tow trying to 'beat the system' in some fashion, or having their g/f’s explain why they were to be given an exception to the rules.

2) People trying to jump the queue causing tension in the line.

3) The BIG problem I saw was people who had NO clue as to what they were doing, what forms they needed, queuing up, and asking endless questions in the line to get your number for the appropriate counter. Then seeing them doing the mad rush to fill out their forms, run across the street for copies, photos, etc before their number was called. This was the prime reason in my mind why the line to get numbers to the correct counter creeps along.

My advice;

1) Get there early BEFORE it opens if you can. It’s not like you go there every month and getting up early one day won’t kill you.

2) Have ALL your support documentation copied BEFORE you arrive, application pre-filled out, photo glued on. Between this forum and other websites there is NO reason to show up without the proper documentation, without your forms filled out, without photos, etc.

3) Dress politely, these are people who wield considerable power over your ability to stay here whether you like it or not. It won't kill you to skip wearing your Singha Beer muscle t-shirt, 99 baht grubby cargo shorts, and cheap sandals for a day. Nor will it be detrimental to wear a long sleeved shirt to hide your tattoos, or pull out your earrings for the visit. It may not help but it will certainly NOT hurt.

4) DO NOT GET MAD. The rules are the rules. While the immigrations officers have some discretion; the slightest hint of an attitude or anger will slam that door on your fingers.

All in all, I found it a relatively painless and trouble free time dealing with thai bureaucracy.

Good Luck

(edited for a pesky spelling mistake)

Edited by lopburi3
innapproporate language removed - lopburi3

tod-daniels, I fully agree, and support your post.

I do not usually post just to say yes, agree, but this is such an important point, and still so many people do not care (or do not know). On my last visit to the PTA/Jomtien Immigration, I saw this idio wonderful young gentleman walking in without a shirt on. Not even an Adonis, but even if he were, perhaps better to cover up. He was told to leave and go forth and multiply. Good riddance.

Now I shall go hide from the flamers that think old farts like yours truly are just that. Boring old farts. Hmmm, perhaps they are right come to think of it... :o

tod-daniels, I fully agree, and support your post.

I do not usually post just to say yes, agree, but this is such an important point, and still so many people do not care (or do not know). On my last visit to the PTA/Jomtien Immigration, I saw this idio wonderful young gentleman walking in without a shirt on. Not even an Adonis, but even if he were, perhaps better to cover up. He was told to leave and go forth and multiply. Good riddance.

Now I shall go hide from the flamers that think old farts like yours truly are just that. Boring old farts. Hmmm, perhaps they are right come to think of it... :o

Tod's (thx for the report BTW) notes on appearance and such should be an automatic given for anybody that has been through the process more than once.

So - it still looks like a rat race down there. :D

I am so glad we are able to use the One Stop Center and don't have to deal with Suan Plu at all. Doesn’t hurt that it is only 15 minutes from office. The place is very organized, though quite busy. Last Oct took 2 hours (of my time, our HR person probably had several more prep time in) to get the extension done.

Oh, for the days when we didn't even have to be there in person (company won't pay the expediting fee anymore).

TH