Best Start For A Newbie

Mikey7

First, I am not a reacher and have no intention of becoming one. My hat is off to all of you who can maqnage this dificult proffession. I do, however, have a friend who is a native English speaker certified to teach in the US. He has taught English in Costa Rica for 2 years. Now he is considering coming to teach in Thailand and is asking me for advice. I keep telling him to just show up and dive in because I have no clue how to start out. Any advice for a teacher just arriving? Types of schools that are good, bad? Is there a particular website that you like for Job ads? Just in general knowing what you know now, what would you do if you were arriving in Thailand for the first time and wanted to teach?

^This is an example of the type of opening post that I normally do not reply to- in a vague translation: "Please tell me all I need to know about teaching in Thailand and hand it to me on a silver platter because I can't be bothered to read the obvious threads relating to the topics I'm asking about in the Teacher's Forum- oh, and it's not for me, but for a "friend," and I can't give you that many details about what "he" wants or likes."

Suggestions: Read all the threads in this branch of the forum, especially "questions about qualifications," "teaching with no experience," and all of the threads regarding jobs. Then come back and ask some more specific questions showing that you've done a bit of your homework.

"Steven"

Steven, LOL Got your point. Actually I have read most of the threads, and came away with almost as much confusion as I went in with. Anyway It wasn't a very good post by me, Sorry. I just realized that stepping off the plane in Bankok with no real hint of the first or best way to begin would be a bit less daunting if there was a bit motre direct advice about a reasonable starting place. I'll try to do better next time .

In addition to this forum - encourage your "friend" to read the forums at Ajarn.com and eslcafe.com. Also at eslcafe.com is what they call the "job information journal" - have him/her read that section on Thailand as well.

There is a great amount of information (and just plain crap) out there - and you are right: much of it is contradictory and confusing. However, a move to a new country and a new job is worthy of a bit of research (call me old fashioned!). However, once all that is read - many common themes will be found - and a general idea of where to go and what to do will evolve. Then, perhaps, your friend can ask a more focused question.

Ijust is right - to properly answer the initial question would take about a hundred pages of writing - and probably still wouldn't answer the needs of the individual asking.

Thanks for the response. I know everyone thinks "friend " is me but truth is I am much too old and much too retired to manage that. Problem is when I came to thailand I wa swamped with requests from teacher friends back home. Now I will take the best advice you have given me and tell them to come to the forums and figure it out for themselves L.

A very good book to read is titled, 'Teaching English Overseas, A Job Guide For

Americans & Canadians.' It has tons of good advice on finding work, how to present yourself well, sources for job listings and lists of addresses of schools around the world. The Author is Jeff Mohamed, ISBN 0-9677062-6-2.

I would recommend it to anyone who has interest in teaching in a foreign country; not only North Americans. In other words the title is a bit misleading.

A very good book to read is titled, 'Teaching English Overseas, A Job Guide For

Americans & Canadians.' It has tons of good advice on finding work, how to present yourself well, sources for job listings and lists of addresses of schools around the world. The Author is Jeff Mohamed, ISBN 0-9677062-6-2.

I would recommend it to anyone who has interest in teaching in a foreign country; not only North Americans. In other words the title is a bit misleading.

Jeff Mohamed was my CELTA Trainer eons ago, and is my friend. A very sharp guy with a very large body of broad-based teaching and training exprience all over the world. Though I've not read this book, I'm sure he is a valuable read to the newbie teachers.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a german from germany. My english is at a very high standard or so I've been told. My girlfriend is Thai and has become pregnant. I want to work in Thailand and thinks I can get a job teching English. Because I am German I worry that it may be difficult so I am willing to study fro a teching certificate. I hear the CELTA is quiet difficult but a TEFL is quiet easy, all you have to do is turn up at class and they give you a certificate at the end. If I do a TEFL do you think I can get a job teching Englkish in Bangkok? Thank You. Otto.

I am a german from germany. My english is at a very high standard or so I've been told. My girlfriend is Thai and has become pregnant. I want to work in Thailand and thinks I can get a job teching English. Because I am German I worry that it may be difficult so I am willing to study fro a teching certificate. I hear the CELTA is quiet difficult but a TEFL is quiet easy, all you have to do is turn up at class and they give you a certificate at the end. If I do a TEFL do you think I can get a job teching Englkish in Bangkok? Thank You. Otto.

You should be fine if your accent isn't too strong! And your English is as good as you say it is. There's been discussion before about non-native speakers on here so do a little search! Don't waste your money on a certificate where you only have to turn up to pass, it's a waste of money and employers will generally be aware of the crapness level of it. But yeah you probably will be able to get work mate!

Personally, I feel that our students deserve a teacher who wants to be a teacher for some reason other than just a way to get money, and cares enough for the students to at least get proper training to do a proper job.

Excuse my frankness, but I have zero respect or patience for such stuff...