What Food To Bring From Uk?

rikki

Most if not all of these are available here, I bought a new jar of Marmite (large size) this morning at 298 baht and HP sauce at 96 baht. The only thing I cannot get here are hermesetas or supasweets (both sweetners) and the Thai sweetners are like horse tablets!

Agree ^^^

Most, if not all the things required for UK cooking are available here, I don't think I actually miss anything much :o

You won't find the brand names or fancy high-convenience processed/packaged items but if you don't mind doing 'real' cooking things will be fine.

Teabags - you still can't buy decent tea here.

Oxo cubes - non existent.

Heinz sald cream is availabale sometimes, but not always.

Everything else is pretty much available, although at a premium. Pataks curry paste for example sells for 265 baht, that's nearly £4.50

Oxo cubes for sure.....I always get friends to bring a supply.

Decent tea bags

Atora suet

Good cheese maybe....price increased around 60% over last few weeks!

Good curry powders/pastes....little choice here and if can find it's very expensive. Sometimes you just crave a good curry that's different to the great thai curries.

cheese is not so easy to carry around

camembert?stilton?

I'm trying to eat as much of it as I can before I leave UK

what about instant coffee?

so tea bags and oxo

what about walnuts?

or Foxs choc fudge crunch creams?

camembert?stilton?

so tea bags and oxo

what about walnuts?

Walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts etc are very expensive here (cashew nuts OK)

Also I bring Rough Oat cakes (Nairns) as I have not (yet) found anything similar.

I have brought cheese - Stilton. I freeze it before packing.

camembert?stilton?

so tea bags and oxo

what about walnuts?

Cheese is easy to buy, at either Tops or Villa market.

Walnuts, I have no idea :o

Chocolate is widely available, although the brand names such as Mars, Maltesers etc taste nothing like they do in UK, as they are manufactured mainly in Malaysia.

So if you are a chocolate freak, make sure you bring plenty with you :D

Oxo cubes for sure.....I always get friends to bring a supply.

Decent tea bags

Atora suet

Good cheese maybe....price increased around 60% over last few weeks!

Good curry powders/pastes....little choice here and if can find it's very expensive. Sometimes you just crave a good curry that's different to the great thai curries.

Any idea why cheese went up so much..... my normal block of cheese cost 630baht, this week same shop, same cheese, same packing is 930baht !!

Central chidlom has everything

branston, english mustard (jar), walker's crisps (salt and vinegar, cheese and onion etc), monster munch, robinson's cordials, english sausages, tons of cheeses and hams.

they used to have marmite, but can't find it there, or in villa (emporium/nana), central world, or foodland

where's the marmite you found?

• 2 weeks later...
Cheese, quick soak mushy peas, shiphams pastes, weetabix, chocolate, packet soups, etc etc

Weetabix, and even Oatibix is available in Thailand. And so are most chocolates I can think of, although they're cheaper in the UK generally.

Branston pickle.

And so is in Branston Pickle, although I haven't seen the small-chunk variant here.

Most things are available in Bangkok and can be found in the shopping malls located at Siam Paragon, Central Chidlom and The Emporium at Phrom Pong. The grocery stores at Tops, Foodland and Villa Market are much more hit and miss but the latter has perhaps the best variety of tinned goods you would wish for although their fresh produce may be lacking.

Thai cheese is abominable and not worth buying. Australian imported Cheddar and butter are reasonable alternatives to English produce and perhaps the nearest in taste and are moderately priced.

Quality bread can only be found at the aforementioned outlets but of the Thai supermarket chains perhaps Carrefour offer the best "French" bread sticks reflecting their origins. Wine will always be bit of a bugger because of the taxation but I invariably found that the plonk varieties offered by Carrefour to be the best value and most drinkable, again reflecting the buying prowess of their French employees.

The only item I found to be wholly elusive was American long grain rice such as Uncle Ben's.

Many UK foods are available but supply is very hit and miss. Sometimes you can get everything you need but here in Samui need to go to several places. Makes the weekly shop very time consuming if you need to have your comfort foods! Supply of popular items e.g. marmite, PG tips, bovril, hobnobs biscuits to name but a few are very erratic. Sometimes go for weeks without seeing them and suddenly back in stock. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Sharwoods Mango Chutney - you can now find it in the odd Villa supermarket here but the standard small jar will set you back more than 200 baht (around 3 quid). I used to go through about one jar a week in the UK.

Also if you like the Bick's sweetcorn and other chutneys, you can find in the same palce andd at around the same prices as the mango chutney above.

• 3 weeks later...

:o:D:D ...I'm pretty pleased that I can get most of the consumer foodstuffs here in the LOS that I get back home....

Two,minor/picky things that I sometimes get a craving for though......

1-LUCOZADE

2-CURLY-WURLY CHOCOLATE

I know there's lots of energy drinks in Thailand,but you just can't replicate that good, old-school,Daley thompson,

Lucozade taste :D:D ..........ooooh the hardship..you can't beat a Lucozade and a curly-wurly to up the sugar levels... :D:D

post-59181-1209853300_thumb.jpg

post-59181-1209853337_thumb.jpg

Sharwoods Mango Chutney - you can now find it in the odd Villa supermarket here but the standard small jar will set you back more than 200 baht (around 3 quid). I used to go through about one jar a week in the UK.

Also if you like the Bick's sweetcorn and other chutneys, you can find in the same palce andd at around the same prices as the mango chutney above.

It is never worth buying Mango chutney, I always make a lot when it is mango season and the cost 6 - 8 baht at the local market per kg.

it is very different here regards the other chutneys that are made with Tomotoes or Apple or Plumbs as there much more expensive.

Is there anything I ought to bring over with me from UK that you can't get in thailand?

Like marmite, HPsauce, colmans mustard, farmhouse cheddar?

Sausages?

What area/nearest city will you be living? perhaps then posters can give a local guide,

All of what you mentioned above except for sausages [they dont travel well] i would bring, plus various sauce mixes from Know or Colemans, specially Parsley sauce if you like fish ect,

Cheers, Lickey..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This all depends on where you live. In Kanchaniburi you cannot buy tinned tomatoes!!! I have invested in a bread maker so that helps with the lack of good bread. The beef is appalling so I stock up when i go to Bkk. There is no cheese apart from the processed type available here too.

My friend is coming over this week and i have ordered 1000 Yorkshire tea bags!!! Heaven

Rikki

:o

Nonthaburi has said it all I think. Gravy powder is one that comes to mind.

Sandwich spread for sure and decent TEA.

Where are you staying mate, as like all have said most stuff is available.

Good Luck