Tiger Boxer

jdinasia

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi locolyric

My boxer tipped once 180 km/h but I deduct at least 15-20 km net speed i assume 155-160 km/h Too dangerous on Thai roads

I never do it again .

Charlie

That's very impressive performance Charlie. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that's about the same indicated top speed as a Kawa Ninja 250 and at half the price :o

hi locolyric

My boxer tipped once 180 km/h but I deduct at least 15-20 km net speed i assume 155-160 km/h Too dangerous on Thai roads

I never do it again .

Charlie

That's very impressive performance Charlie. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that's about the same indicated top speed as a Kawa Ninja 250 and at half the price :o

No need for correction; that is the reported top speed for a stock Ninja.  Even I, who am not the forum's lightest rider (ahem), has only managed to get the Ninja 250 up to a GPS reported 151.  Granted there was a bit more on tap, not sure exactly how much, but as Charlie pointed out these bikes are really light and the uncertainty of Thai roads should preclude extended trips at that speed.

Looking back, especially after reading his praise of the bike, I wish I would have saved the money that would have come from the wife buying a Boxer rather than the Ninja.  It seems much more geared to my type of riding (out in the country) and let's face it, ~70 000 THB is a decent chunk of change.

Hi All!

I was really looking forward to seeing the Tiger Boxer 250 this past weekend at the Khon Kaen Bike Week.

After all of the hype, positive reviews from Charlie, and good looking pictures, I have to say that in real life, the Tiger 250 is a really small bike. Very narrow and quite short, which I imagine is a good thing for many Thais. I'm not a big or tall guy at all, but sitting on it, it just didn't feel like there was much substance to it... And the seat- it relentlessly pushes you and your jewels firmly into the tank- OUCH! :o

I am quite impressed by the suspension set up- inverted forks and gas reservoir rear shocks seems unusually fancy for what is otherwise a very low tech basic bike.

A carburated 250cc single that can reach 180km/hr indicated? Well, I'm a bit skeptical about that, but Allan rode his all the way to KK and back and I forgot to ask him his top speed.

The Tiger 250 has some nice features and the price seems reasonable.. No offense to Charlie, but if 60,000-70,000 Baht was my budget I think I'd choose the Honda CBR 150.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Hi to all of those who are reading.....riding and not riding the Tiger Boxer 250cc RS,

yes, we have got to make these Thai people believe that MADE IN THAILAND sometimes is worth the money they pull out of their pockets.

Here we have a bike - the Boxer 250 RS - with an own character and a cool look!

This is my experience when talking about motorbikes and the likes in Thailand?

Well, here we go...

I have been talking to a lot of these very funny and friendly Motocycle Taxis in Bangkok and there is no way you can talk them into buying a Tiger Smart or a Joker or anything that even smell of Thai-made.

But for god's sake, do they know that the Tiger Boxer 200cc and 250cc RS was born of a joint collaboration between Cagiva Italy and Tiger?

And do they know what Italian design and bike's enginering and technology stand for?

idea.gif

Name one man on earth that does not know what DUCATI or FERRARI means.

Ever heard of MV Agusta bikes (that among others builds elicopter fighters) and/or LAMBORGHINI cars?

Only to mention a few...

Dear Thai friends you are here to make a difference.

Why enriching Countries like Japan with their yes, excellent bikes, while you have a second choice in your own Thai land?

The grass of your neighbour is always greener, they say.

But this time home-grown grass is 100% good product.

Look at India...they have their own motorbike manufacturers: Bajaj Pulsar, Hero Honda that produces Hunk 150cc and Karizma 220cc.

If you walk down the streets of Dehli or Culcutta or Banglore you will see thousands of these India-built bikes.

So...let us also in Thailand go Thai.

And besides, don't they see what a better look the metropolitan police has since they are riding on the Boxer 200cc?

Or they have simply forgotten that they used to ride on kawasakies and hondas and yamahas made in the 1970's?

Not much time will go by before finally (I hope) thai guys will realize that buying Thai brands does not only

make them look better on two wheels, but also and

foremost will help support this soaring and

tumbling economy that is claiming so many job losses in this beautiful Country.

And off I go on to my Boxer 250cc RS.

See you on my next posting and

in the meantime...enjoy your Tiger,

Cheers,

Frank A.

Hi guys i will put up a ride report in the next few days. got loads of work to do now. one point about the Boxer.

the seat is shit,shit,shit,shit,shit,shit,shit,shit,shit,shit,shit............. :o:D ............

I think you get the picture :D.

But as a whole the bike is not BAD, But it does need a little bit more development. I think i know why Bangkok police are so grumpy.....................its the shit seat on their Boxers.

Allan

Okay, nobody expects to buy a Lamborghini for 76,000 baht. And your average Somchai's sister can make a better seat after the sale.

After 13 pages, we forget what this Boxer 250 is. The cheap brochure said very little. So can we get some details, please?

239 cc, carbureted, single OHC, two cylinders, big gas tank. Right? How many speeds in the transmission? What size fuel tank? Can it take E10 gasohol? Are radials or tubeless tires stock? Great dual shocks in the rear, upside down forks in front, right?

Factories always underestimate weight, but what is the claimed dry weight of the 250?

No tachometer, right? What other details, please? Thanks.

hi To all of You,

first Tony you don't have to justify yourself to me. U tried the bike and its not your cup of tea alright with that. you are not like some saying its a bad bike without ever tried one( u r not saying its a bad bike ). The HONDA CBR is a very good machine but i dont like both the 150 or 400 cause of the position. I like the up right position but still HONDA is one the best bikes of course.

Indeed Allan the SEAT is shit for farangs at my very first report about my test ride i said the same .I reshaped my saddle twice already and now i have the good position. total damage for both reshapes 600 bht what are we talking about.

I'm not saying that bike is going 155- 160 all the time it tipped it once and i assume 155 km/h net speed maybe 10 more or less. But dont forget the engine on the boxer is impressive and very reliable. But at this speed on a naked bike is no fun riding anymore

Yeah blondie there are many possibilities with the TIGER. size of the tank is 12 liters E20 ready (never tried it yet) tubeless is extra j weight 121 kg 5 speed many accessories available from TIGER

I went to umpang - mea sot this weekend and rode 1200 kms . The Umpang mea sot crossing is 165 km ever winding mountain roads same as in PAI Mea Hong Son. I did it in 3.5 hrs which is quite fast. I dont recommend this road to beginner bikers .Dangerous upcoming traffic luring behind the corners.

I tested my bike there to get more experience about its road handling.it satisfied me.

I'm very happy to read the reports from others on the TIGER .I'm not alone here anymore and it satisfied some already.some not thats with any brand.

To conclude nobody is saying its bad bike .TIGER imroved a lot on qlty ... but still can improve

Happy trails boys

???two cylinders,???

100% sure, it´s a single!!

1 info:

The kickstart is avaible aswell, standard is only E-start. But both is safer.

I´ve ridden the 150cc for a testride., I can believe that the seat is shit. But is there a possibility to make it more comfortable? On the 150 (??same like 250???) was the tank form for the knees. I guess, there is no space to put more foam in the seat.

Edited by HangDongRider

Hi to all of those who are reading.....riding and not riding the Tiger Boxer 250cc RS,

yes, we have got to make these Thai people believe that MADE IN THAILAND sometimes is worth the money they pull out of their pockets.

Well, here we go...

I have been talking to a lot of these very funny and friendly Motocycle Taxis in Bangkok and there is no way you can talk them into buying a Tiger Smart or a Joker or anything that even smell of Thai-made.

But for god's sake, do they know that the Tiger Boxer 200cc and 250cc RS was born of a joint collaboration between Cagiva Italy and Tiger?

And do they know what Italian design and bike's enginering and technology stand for?

idea.gif

Ever heard of MV Agusta bikes (that among others builds elicopter fighters) and/or LAMBORGHINI cars?

Only to mention a few...

Why enriching Countries like Japan with their yes, excellent bikes, while you have a second choice in your own Thai land?

Look at India...they have their own motorbike manufacturers: Bajaj Pulsar, Hero Honda that produces Hunk 150cc and Karizma 220cc.

If you walk down the streets of Dehli or Culcutta or Banglore you will see thousands of these India-built bikes.

And besides, don't they see what a better look the metropolitan police has since they are riding on the Boxer 200cc?

Or they have simply forgotten that they used to ride on kawasakies and hondas and yamahas made in the 1970's?

Not much time will go by before finally (I hope) thai guys will realize that buying Thai brands does not only

Cheers,

Frank A.

all of the japanese branded motorcycles at 150cc and under are made in thailand...but the tiger uses a chinese made engine, so you are actually doing less to support thailand.

and if i remember correctly tiger started in India.

Jdinasia. The Tiger boxer or indeed most single cylinder road bikes are not about 'top speed' but i would say the one i tried could do about 145 real speed. but it does get buzzy. it will keep up with highway traffic ok and around town the midrange is very impressive. it even took 2 farangs (230kg combined) around KK on Friday night and we kept up with an er6 and 2 ducatis. that was fun.

i will do a report soon.

Allan

Jdinasia. The Tiger boxer or indeed most single cylinder road bikes are not about 'top speed' but i would say the one i tried could do about 145 real speed. but it does get buzzy. it will keep up with highway traffic ok and around town the midrange is very impressive. it even took 2 farangs (230kg combined) around KK on Friday night and we kept up with an er6 and 2 ducatis. that was fun.

i will do a report soon.

Allan

Trust me .. I am far from a speed demon ...

I like running about 80 because I can still see the small road hazards. anything over 100 on a small bike like this makes me nervous. I was just curious :o

"are you comparing the your cbr which had a 38 tooth sprocket and a larger downpipe, or a stock 42-44 tooth sprocket and a stock downpipe and silencer."

Vato. i rode my Cbr with and without the downpipe. and with the stock gearing and the reduced rear sprocket. i found that with the Boxer it beat the Cbr on midrange and 5th gear roll on quite easily. but because it doesn't have a 6th gear its top speed is not far off the Cbr's top speed(the Tiger is a little higher but not by much) anyway a write up is on the way.

Alan

Hi Blondie there are several options available. such as

top case holder

side case holders and cases (i don't like the boxer cases)

soon digital cockpit available

English website will be ready and running soon (i hope so)

I dont know how to call it English how do u call the rubbers that are fitted on the frame to protect the engine if it falls .

windscreen

custom color scheme

and maybe more i don't know off

Yeah Allan im awaiting you full report i always love your stuff

Charlie

Well, here we go...

Well, it's kinda like asking an American to buy one of the Big Three's cars......

idea.gif

Only to mention a few...

I've been an outspoken proponent of the Tiger Boxer, but I believe this argument to be a bit of a red herring.  Firstly, exactly how much was designed by Cagiva?  And how old is the tech in the Boxer?  Also, equating all things Italian to simply being head and shoulders above anything Japanese is akin to saying that all Thai food is better than all say English food.  If you believe the second half of the analogy, I can show you some roadside foodstalls that would disprove it....

Aren't most of the scooters sold in Thailand actually built here?  And are you sure that some royalties aren't being paid to Cagiva?  These are international times and attitudes like what was just expressed is what keeps a country in the gutter.  

Can't argue with that; at least to this point.  I've got my fingers crossed that the Boxer continues to be trouble free and increases in sales.

Cheers,

Frank A.

A carburated 250cc single that can reach 180km/hr indicated? Well, I'm a bit skeptical about that, but Allan rode his all the way to KK and back and I forgot to ask him his top speed.

Why wouldn't a 250cc single be able to reach 180 indicated (~165 actual if we're to assume that Tiger has the same speedo drift as everyone else seems to)?  Is it because of the carb?  But aren't carbs used in some of the fastest drag racers out there?  Just curious is all....

Hi Blondie there are several options available. such as

top case holder

side case holders and cases (i don't like the boxer cases)

soon digital cockpit available

English website will be ready and running soon (i hope so)

I dont know how to call it English how do u call the rubbers that are fitted on the frame to protect the engine if it falls .

Crash bungs, idiot bumpers, frame stoppers, sliders.  Take your pick....

windscreen

custom color scheme

and maybe more i don't know off

Yeah Allan im awaiting you full report i always love your stuff

Charlie

Why wouldn't a 250cc single be able to reach 180 indicated (~165 actual if we're to assume that Tiger has the same speedo drift as everyone else seems to)? Is it because of the carb? But aren't carbs used in some of the fastest drag racers out there? Just curious is all....

I'm wondering about the top speed because the Tiger 250 is a Single Cylinder "thumper" (air cooled if I remember right) coupled with a 5 speed gear box. This type of engine should be very reliable and generate good mid range torque, but singles generally are not meant for speed... Honestly if it can do 120-140km/hr that's fast enough. As others have well said, because of safety and comfort issues you probably would not want to ride this bike at very high speed for extended periods of time.

Happy Trails!

Why wouldn't a 250cc single be able to reach 180 indicated (~165 actual if we're to assume that Tiger has the same speedo drift as everyone else seems to)? Is it because of the carb? But aren't carbs used in some of the fastest drag racers out there? Just curious is all....

I'm wondering about the top speed because the Tiger 250 is a Single Cylinder "thumper" (air cooled if I remember right) coupled with a 5 speed gear box. This type of engine should be very reliable and generate good mid range torque, but singles generally are not meant for speed... Honestly if it can do 120-140km/hr that's fast enough. As others have well said, because of safety and comfort issues you probably would not want to ride this bike at very high speed for extended periods of time.

Happy Trails!

Was that a nice way of saying I am not a wuss?

Hi guys i will put up a ride report in the next few days. got loads of work to do now. one point about the Boxer.

the seat is shit,shit,shit,shit,shit,shit,shit,shit,shit,shit,shit............. :o:D ............

I think you get the picture :D .

But as a whole the bike is not BAD, But it does need a little bit more development. I think i know why Bangkok police are so grumpy.....................its the shit seat on their Boxers.

Allan

A seat is a seat is a seat.

Allan, you can make your own and most comfortable seat any time you want.

We are talking about the bike's engine and its performance.

;-)

Best,

Frank

hi,

I reshaped my saddle twice already each time 300 bht . Now I'm having the good position.Maybe tiger can copy my shape i'll put up a picture later on .

b4n

Charlie

It sounds counter-intuitive, but have the seat maker use a firmer foam (not all of us foreigners are lightweight like Tony!) because this will compress less and let you down into the seatpan.  Another thing to consider is having it made in a tea saucer shape.  This will spread the weight of the rider all the way up to the sides of the hips-more cm2 means more comfort

hi guys,

These are some pics from my reshaped saddle it can be done for only 300 baht .no big deal .

I feel very comfortable with this reshape.

I spoke to Pariya already he promised me to check if they can standardise this with their saddle manufacturer .

But i don't want to make an issue from it coz i did it with all my previous bikes .

post-69913-1235454473_thumb.jpg post-69913-1235454555_thumb.jpg

post-69913-1235454799_thumb.jpg

charlie

Ok. Ride report.

1st the disclaimers. the bike i used was one of the 1st production models . due to a miscommunication between myself and Pariya (my fault not his).

Any way first the things i really didn't like. the seat is awful my arse was sore after about 100km's......umm.

ok here is what i did then i will talk about the bike....call this background info.

I started my journey about 8.45 Friday morning, cruised out of BKK on highway 9 then up highway 1 onto 2 and all the way into KK. I arrived in KK at the showground about 2.45pm.. not bad i was still feeling fairly fresh (except for my bum). then onto the KK Orchard Hotel (lovely hotel, modern rooms and parking for bikes).Had a few beers to fully relax, met Ray and some other guys an gals. so very chilled out.

Tony finally turns up after seeing every Yamaha shop between BKK and KK. And we finally organised to go out and eat. There were me and Jason (230kg's between us) on the Tiger and the others were on Ducatis and an Er6. it was funny seeing two big Farangs on the little Tiger. but she held up no problem and kept up with the big boys around town. ok so food was eaten and beer was drunk. we headed back to the hotel happy. Saturday we were going on the Charity Fun run. Got out about 9.30am and headed for the show ground. started the run it was about 200km's all told. and the midrange of the Tiger was really shining through. My arse was also.......had to stand up while riding a few times to ease the tension.

Back to the hotel, few beers and shower then off to the main event. other people will have written stuff. So i will just say i thought it was great, well organized etc.....only grumble. shit beer you could only get Chang (Thai wife beater).

Anyway Sunday morning and thinking about the ride home. to be fair i really was not looking forward to it (that <deleted>+king seat). so i got a towel from the hotel, folded it up and tied it to the seat....better but not perfect. i started off at about 9am after getting lost a bit on the way home (i missed the 9 cos i was in so much pain) finally got home about 5.30pm. other than my bum i was still in pretty good condition. 1300km in 3days. not bad.

OK NOW THE BIKE.

The inverted fronk forks are good. as are the rear shock's they did seem to bottom a few times (but not sure if that was my ultra sensitive butt because i only felt it on the way home, and when 2 up). the engine is a 232cc air/oil cooled lump with a 5 speed gearbox. it was capable of keeping up with normal highway traffic easily (100-120) but got very buzzy at higher speeds. looking at the newer models in the factory. they have a different downpipe and clocks. also a more substantial front mudguard holder and exhaust bracket.

the midrange and roll on are where this engine has it. it is a very relaxing bike to cruise around on. if your cruising at say 100kmh in 5th you just roll on the throttle for instant go. ideal for overtaking etc. it aint no speed demon though. the lack of 6th gear stops that.

Fit and finish.

It's good to ok. good in places and ok in others (I am refering to the newer models, not the test bike)

example the rear brake and clutch lever are from the Tiger scooter range and it shows. On the other hand the exhaust is made by Tsugiki and the front forks are a lovely gold pair of inverted forks. wheels are the same as the Cbr150, same sh+t IRC tyres as well. get Radials much better. Paint work is good and the newer stickers seem to stick (unlike the test bike :D ).

All in all would I buy one...................NO

But that does not mean its a BAD bike its not. i think it's a little expensive for what you get 72,000 should be 62,000. If you want a small, lightweight bike with reasonable looks and a good cruising engine.

Then its ok. if you want boyracer top speed (me) its no good for ya.

Anybody that was in the market. my suggestion is go and look at the factory. every thing is made and assembled here in Thailand including engines ( they aint Chinese built. some parts are sourced from China)

Try and get as many Freebies as possible. I think that a bike with a round headlight, conventional forks, radial tyres and of course a different seat with a lower price tag say 55,000. then they and you would have a winner. PS the engine is superior to the Cbr150 in midrange and roll on. it has way more midrange as it should have carrying an extra 82cc.

If any body has questions just ask.

WHAT WAS INTERESTING IS THAT NO ONE WANTED TO TEST RIDE IT. even though it was offered a few times. they did sit on it then decide ........no thanks :D . That seat :o:D:wai::D

Hi Allan,

Nice report and straight to the point, Can you do me a favor and send this report to PARIYA. It will help me to let them believe to improve thair bike more.

I'm a bit disappointed in Tiger that they gave you the same demonstrator to you as they did with me. The new models are indeed improved ,But its a bad publicity to give a less qlty demonstrator.Were the racks still between the faring and the cockpit was the speedo also flipping. On my boxer all these details are perfectly solved

I'm happy you tell everyone that the engine is produced in the factory and not ZONGSHEN only some parts are coming from CHINA . I didn't want to say it coz that proofs my point how many people are knowing nothing about TIGER only rumors .I didnt want to offend anyone.

Thx mate

Charlie