How Get Rid Of Large Lizards In House

muhammad10280

Hi, in the house we have some large lizards running around the roof making fights and loud beeping noises in the middel of the night. The noises are suddenly and frightening for my newborn and wife. They can not wear earplugs.

The size of it is about 10 inches long and very ugly to look at.

Does anyone know how to catch this thing? I would like very much for them to go. Thanking you.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the lizards are what I think they are (tookay) they're useful for killing and consuming any rats that might otherwise be present in the house. They are also edible. But assuming you're not worried about rats and aren't into exotic gourmet cooking, well..... get a (big) cat.

The lizard in question sounds like it's a Tookay. They look very similar to Australias' Bearded Dragon (Eastern Water Dragon) except the Tookay is smaller. Even though this lizard has small teeth, the bite it delivers can have some rather nasty & long lasting after effects (saliva).

The only way I know to catch a Tookay is to wear leather gloves or use Thai tobacco. If tobacco is chosen, place a large wad on the end of a long stich & tease the Tookay into biting the tobacco. Once it does take a bite, wait 15 minutes or so for the lizard to become drowsy & stupified, at which point in time you can pick it up & take it away.

I know of no method for keeping them out of roof spaces other than to seal the roof space.

I used to breed lizards as a boy in Australia...mainly Blue Tongues. Beautiful things they are.

Edited by elkangorito

i disagree that they control the rat population. i have 3 large tookays living in my house. i have grown quite affectionate towards them, they don't bother me except for an occasional errant poop. but they haven't helped out with controlling the rat population that lives in the roof at all- see my recent post called "rat infestation".

• Like 1

i disagree that they control the rat population. i have 3 large tookays living in my house. i have grown quite affectionate towards them, they don't bother me except for an occasional errant poop. but they haven't helped out with controlling the rat population that lives in the roof at all- see my recent post called "rat infestation".

Actually, I agree with you up to a point. I mean tookays (plural) killed some of the rats here, but never all of them. The "Mother" rat (absolutely massive) always seemed to be spared. The glue stuff (gaw tit nuu) was effective, but mostly snagged younger rats. What DID work (no rats around here in many months now) was pinkish pellats of rat poison (cyanide?). They gobbled it up immediately.

I had the same problems. running around at night, all kinds of noise. I took off a piece of roofing to let my cat in. No more problems. She is a scrapper for such a small tabby. No tookays, no rats.

Yep, agreed. Cats will clean up the place quickly. Just make sure they don't clean up the neighbours' chickens also!

Actually, I agree with you up to a point. I mean tookays (plural) killed some of the rats here, but never all of them. The "Mother" rat (absolutely massive) always seemed to be spared. The glue stuff (gaw tit nuu) was effective, but mostly snagged younger rats. What DID work (no rats around here in many months now) was pinkish pellats of rat poison (cyanide?). They gobbled it up immediately.

Hi, do you think the glue will work with the lizards? I bought some glue for the rats last week but have not used it yet. If so, what should I use as bait?

yes, occasionally there is some rats too but not often.

I don't think that I'd be using glue...especially in a roof space. I can imagine the stench of rotting flesh wafting through the house. This is only true if you don't wish to make daily visits to the roof space.

Is the glue flamable?

You could try mixing 1 tablespoon of Tobasco sause in a litre of water & spray it everywhere in the roof space. It works for dogs & cats (they have a good sense of smell & they hate the taste) but I don't know about lizards.

Hi, do you think the glue will work with the lizards? I bought some glue for the rats last week but have not used it yet. If so, what should I use as bait?

yes, occasionally there is some rats too but not often.

No, it won't work with the tookays. They're too smart or something. RE bait for rats: meat, fish leftovers will do it. Place those tidbits in the center of the round, black plastic thing they give you when you but the can of rat glue. Make sure that you apply a wide layer of the glue COMPLETELY around the bait. The screams of the trapped rats will attract other rat victims. BUT, this glue trap --in my experience-- will not snag the BIG (mama/papa) rats. Again, get a CAT.

Now here's a story. I had a friend in Ratchaburi, about 25 years ago, who tried every measure he could conceive of to kill a "king rat". This rat, according to my friend, was massive and made most wharf rats pale in size-comparison. To make a long story short, poison wouldn't kill it, cats seemed helpless and... well, the rat, forever ubiquitous, seemed to have the upper hand (paw?). My friend --who was a physicist-- finally killed it by electrocuting it with a special trap of his own design!

• Like 1

Now here's a story. I had a friend in Ratchaburi, about 25 years ago, who tried every measure he could conceive of to kill a "king rat". This rat, according to my friend, was massive and made most wharf rats pale in size-comparison. To make a long story short, poison wouldn't kill it, cats seemed helpless and... well, the rat, forever ubiquitous, seemed to have the upper hand (paw?). My friend --who was a physicist-- finally killed it by electrocuting it with a special trap of his own design!

well, he lived in "Rat"chaburi ..... :o

Yes if the tobacco didn't work I will must get and train a cat. Thanks for suggestion everyone.

Ive managed to get rid of 3 out of the 4 Tokeys living in my kitchen. If it was down to me id leave them as they do get rid of all the cockroaches that come in from under the house but my wife is terrified of them.

The first one was living behind our fridge, one day we pulled it out gave him a poke. Then as he ran out we trapped him in a bucket. Took him down the end of the road and released him. Whilst he was in the bucket he regurgitated one of those giant dangerous Centerpedes. Those things are really dangerous and can kill giant spiders, watch youtube lol. I should of been praising him really rather than getting rid of him.

Second one I drowned in a bucket of water.

Third one I sprayed with bug spray till he got dizzy, i then sweeped him outside into the garden got a stiff broom, waited for him to bite the end of the broom, then launched him to mars.

Only one left now which i would like to keep but whilst hes there the misses doesnt like using the kitchen, which is a big problem for me lol

I don't think that I'd be using glue...especially in a roof space. I can imagine the stench of rotting flesh wafting through the house. This is only true if you don't wish to make daily visits to the roof space.

Is the glue flamable?

You could try mixing 1 tablespoon of Tobasco sause in a litre of water & spray it everywhere in the roof space. It works for dogs & cats (they have a good sense of smell & they hate the taste) but I don't know about lizards.

Making visits to the roof space and assessing the flammability would indispose (in the sense of making adverse) any British QA/QT inspector who might happen to drop in from London. But I don't think that's going to happen here.

You know, I see ten people currently reading this thread. And it's had a lot of hits and replies during the short-time it's been posted. Yet, the subject is so ostensibly boring! I think everyone, including the OP and myself are surprised at this. Couldn't resist mentioning this!

Continue on, guys and gals!

Cheers!

I had the same problems. running around at night, all kinds of noise. I took off a piece of roofing to let my cat in. No more problems. She is a scrapper for such a small tabby. No tookays, no rats.

Yep, agreed. Cats will clean up the place quickly. Just make sure they don't clean up the neighbours' chickens also!

Thats it. We are getting a cat. Cant wait to see the end of those

!¤%!% rats with feathers!

Thats it. We are getting a cat. Cant wait to see the end of those

!¤%!% rats with feathers!

A little off-subject (NOT you, but me in what follows), but I take your point. One of my hobbies is gardening, and how many times have the bleeding chickens put their bloody talons on the bleed'in earth that covers ever-so-lightly the seeds I've planted. Bloody H ! ll, I say with and to those descendants of dinosaurs; those progeny of degenerate and arcane monsters of the past.

OK, rant over.

You do not need to feed the cats - they are happy to stay to eat the trespassers and be safe from the dogs. But when they make a leap onto and across the roof at night in a cat fight the tookeys may seem less of an evil.

I hate our cat, he just turned up one day and stayed. Moans a lot unlike our 2 dogs and has failed 100% to get rid of the gecko or the field mice. We hear minor skirmishes on the roof at night but there's the gecko, chiming away,(this year it's 6 chimes, last year it was 7) an hour later. I don't mind, I find the gecko reassuring.

Glue and a mousetrap solved the mice problem.

I suggest the OP talks to Thais, the older ones especially have their own techniques involving various baits.

I hate our cat, he just turned up one day and stayed. Moans a lot unlike our 2 dogs and has failed 100% to get rid of the gecko or the field mice. We hear minor skirmishes on the roof at night but there's the gecko, chiming away,(this year it's 6 chimes, last year it was 7) an hour later. I don't mind, I find the gecko reassuring.

Glue and a mousetrap solved the mice problem.

I suggest the OP talks to Thais, the older ones especially have their own techniques involving various baits.

I hate our cat too sometimes. She just turned up one day, pregnant, and they ALL stayed.

The sudden and loud beeping noise of this thing in the middle of the night is very disturbing for my family, and especially newborn. Please. I do not hate them but dislike them.
seems we have a fanatical Tookay hater here

:D As far as the sudden beeping is concerned, Is your Mobile Phone turned off!! :o Nignoy

Ive managed to get rid of 3 out of the 4 Tokeys living in my kitchen. If it was down to me id leave them as they do get rid of all the cockroaches that come in from under the house but my wife is terrified of them.

The first one was living behind our fridge, one day we pulled it out gave him a poke. Then as he ran out we trapped him in a bucket. Took him down the end of the road and released him. Whilst he was in the bucket he regurgitated one of those giant dangerous Centerpedes. Those things are really dangerous and can kill giant spiders, watch youtube lol. I should of been praising him really rather than getting rid of him.

Second one I drowned in a bucket of water.

Third one I sprayed with bug spray till he got dizzy, i then sweeped him outside into the garden got a stiff broom, waited for him to bite the end of the broom, then launched him to mars.

Only one left now which i would like to keep but whilst hes there the misses doesnt like using the kitchen, which is a big problem for me lol

No one has any right to kill these magnificent creatures. After all, it is us who are encroaching on their territory. They were here first.

As for drowning and bashing them to death, that's a sick act done by pathetic brain dead people.

On my land here in Chiang Mai there are all kinds of birds, lizards, butterflies, frogs, toads, dragonflies and even the odd snake sometimes pays us a visit. None do any harm but rather enhance the area.

For those who have nothing better to do than kill Thailand`s wildlife, get a life or go and jump in a lake and drown yourselves instead, doing nature a favour.

Edited by distortedlink