Was I Ripped Off In Cambodia Visa Cost?

Earlier this month (March, 08), I took a Cambodia package tour (by road) when I was in Pattaya.

I read that the visa cost was US$20 and that was what I had prepared for.

When I arrived at a restaurant near the border at Poi Pet, an agent working for my tour agent (Maneerat Transport & Travel Cp., on Soi Post Office in Pattaya) asked me for 1200B visa cost plus his 100B handling fee (this fee was never mentioned by my tour agent). I asked him if I could pay US$20 or US dollars, but he said no. I unwillingly paid him 1300B.

There is a big difference between 1200B and US$20. At the exchange rate of US$1 to 31B, 1200B is almost twice of US$20. Was I ripped of? If yes, where should I make a complain? TAT (Tourism Authority of Thailand)?

Your comments are most appreciated.

(Also, after I had passed Cambodian immigration, the driver took the group on the bus to a currency exchange place nearby. He told us exchange places were closed in the weekend (that day was Friday) in Siem Reap and we had better get our exchange there. This was just a lie as I found out later that there were plenty of exchange shops in Siem Reap that open 7 days a week. I did my homework and knew US$1 can get about 3,900 Cambodian Riels. That place quoted me the rate of US$1 to 3,200 Riels, which was a total ripoff. Of course, I did no exchange in the shop. Unfortunately, other people on the bus did some exchanges for their Bhat and US$.)

Hunghung

Earlier this month (March, 08), I took a Cambodia package tour (by road) when I was in Pattaya.

When I arrived at a restaurant near the border at Poi Pet, an agent working for my tour agent (Maneerat Transport & Travel Cp., on Soi Post Office in Pattaya) asked me for 1200B visa cost plus his 100B handling fee (this fee was never mentioned by my tour agent). I asked him if I could pay US$20 or US dollars, but he said no. I unwillingly paid him 1300B.

There is a big difference between 1200B and US$20. At the exchange rate of US$1 to 31B, 1200B is almost twice of US$20. Was I ripped of? If yes, where should I make a complain? TAT (Tourism Authority of Thailand)?

(Also, after I had passed Cambodian immigration, the driver took the group on the bus to a currency exchange place nearby. He told us exchange places were closed in the weekend (that day was Friday) in Siem Reap and we had better get our exchange there. This was just a lie as I found out later that there were plenty of exchange shops in Siem Reap that open 7 days a week. I did my homework and knew US$1 can get about 3,900 Cambodian Riels. That place quoted me the rate of US$1 to 3,200 Riels, which was a total ripoff. Of course, I did no exchange in the shop. Unfortunately, other people on the bus did some exchanges for their Bhat and US$.)

Hunghung

The travel agent in question is somewhat questionable in my book - they have a habit of trying to claim an additional 100/300 baht per airline ticket from the customer also. As for your visa charges: I doubt seriously that you would get much satisfaction from a complaint to TAT, best put it all down to experience and a learning process about scams in LOS.

Strange story ..... Maneerat is one the most popular visa run operators in Pattaya. Went with them a dozen times ... They charge THB 1,800 for the whole trip (incl. transport). Never heard they charged seperately for the visa fee. I've never heard that they operate to Poi Pet. All their tours goto Ban Laem.

Advise you to complain to Khun Nan at Maneerat ....

If they're charging for the visa when you get there just get an e-visa from the Cambodian Immigration. I drive to PP erery so often and I've done the e-visa 3 times now, very simple, no hassle with the touts except they want to "help me make stamp fast". If there's a big queue I just bung one of the guys 100baht, he get's it stamped in and out and off I go......

Not a big scam .... I went to Ban Laem a dozen times, as said. To avoid having to show a air ticket, you have to buy a THB 200 'bus ticket'. Perhaps a same scheme is now used in Poi Pet .... Still never seen a visa run company who charged separately for the visa ... the whole tour comes as a package ...

well at the border at Hat Lek if you cross into Cambodia and then leave

immediately to go back into Thailand, the Cambodian immigration authorities

charge you 300 Baht because you are not staying in their country !

Does this happen at all border crossings ?

Strange story ..... Maneerat is one the most popular visa run operators in Pattaya. Went with them a dozen times ... They charge THB 1,800 for the whole trip (incl. transport). Never heard they charged seperately for the visa fee. I've never heard that they operate to Poi Pet. All their tours goto Ban Laem.

I was on a Cambodia package tour, not a visa run. I was first picked up in Pattaya by a minivan. The minivan dropped me, but not others in the minivan, at a restaurant (near Poi Pet border), where I paid the described 1300B to the man working for or with Maneerat. There were other travellers in the restaurant and we later went on a big bus to go to the border. While I was queueing at Cambodian immigration, I met the guy who sat behind me in the minivan. He told me he also paid 1200B visa cost to the operator a short while before (he said he was going to Siem Reap; I don't know if Maneerat was his agency). He further said a German guy in the minivan refused to pay the 1200B and walked off on his own.

So it appears there is a systemic plot to rip travellers off on Cambodia visa cost. Who can tell me which government agency I should complain to? Is TAT the right agency for this? I think it is on the behalf of all travellers to get this matter straight and prevent further travellers' agony over visa cost.

(About my horrible experience with Maneerat: I took a 7 days/6 nights package tour to Cambodia , but the tour was not what was described in the tour program. Among many unsatisfactory things, I was left stranded in Sihanoukville when no one picked me up to return to Pattaya. The tour made my holidays miserable. Please don't use Maneerat in the future!!!)

Hunghung

Nan (I hope we are talking about the same person) is useless. She assured me in 3 emails that her staff (I think she meant someone she works with in Cambodia) would pick me up at my hotel in Silhanoukville (Cambodia) for transport to Pattaya on March 13, 08 at noon. No one came!!!! No one left me a message even I had given her the hotel contact info !!!

I can show you her emails if you want.

Rather than confronting Maneerat on my own, I am looking for a lawyer who can help. I appreciate if someone has a lawyer to recommend.

Hunghung

=====================================================================

He further said a German guy in the minivan refused to pay the 1200B and walked off on his own.

=====================================================================

That would have bene probably the best solution.

BTW I have recommend you a lawyer .... he only charges you US$300 per hour. Do you accept? I am sure

he will get your 300 baht back ....

Edited by sniffdog

Yes you were ripped off. Quite effectively as not only did they get you to pay nearly double (1200 THB) they managed to get you to hand them an extra 100 THB for the privilege.

Visa on arrival is $20 US. If you went to the voa window yourself, they'd start at 1000 THB, easily take $25 US, begrudgingly take $22-23, and eventually $20 if you're persistent enough.

Highly unlikely you'll find any legal authority in Thailand remotely interested in what you paid for a Cambodian visa.

i payed 20 USD ( have a note) and 2x 100.-thb handed over with the 20 plus 100,and when i leave the other 100.-.

if you not leave directly and stay in cambodia its only 20 usd.

dont wont to try without the 200.-

buy 20 usd +200 thb is only 850.- total

I paid 1200B at the Cambodian Embassy for TV..

On the visa it says the fee is 20USD however, I'm not sure what they mean by 20USD and since they're the embassy..well I can't really complain with the risk of not receiving it and thus not being able to get a new visa for Thailand~

In terms of making a complaint about the matter, you might want to be subtle with it at first. Since, Thailand (TOT or whatever it is) certainly won't deal with it at first sight because that seems to be a rule currently administered by the Cambodian Embassy aswell.

Edited by Onnutrd

You didn't just get ripped of on the visa but also on the forced changing of currency into Riel. The Dollar is widely accepted throughout Cambo and you can use Thai baht in many places as well. Offcourse life will be better when paying in Riel, but you could have waited untill you found a moneychanger of your choice.

Waerth

They attempt to nail everyone. Most of us cave in but it sounds like some on here dig their feet in and just pay the $20.

It's a long lonely walk from the Thai side to the Cambodian side at Poi Pet and a place I never want to visit again. I have to do a visa run this Friday and would appreciate if anyone can let me know the "least aggresive" border crossing near to Pong Nam Ron, Chantaburi. I will be driving there from Chon Buri so directions from Pong Nam Ron would be appreciated.

Is Ban Laem still "in business" and has anyone been there on their own without the "protection" of a visa run company ?

Edited by AlarmGuy

Is Ban Laem still "in business" and has anyone been there on their own without the "protection" of a visa run company ?

Ban Laem is the border post that all Pattaya visa run companies use. I have no experience doing it alone, but it costs me 1,700 with the "protection" of a visa run company, so how much do you expect to save doing it alone? Just remember you'll need either a bogus transportation ticket, or some proof of onward travel out of Thailand if you don't have a visa.

I have never paid more than $20USD for my visa. There is no need to pay anymore because of leaving the same day. One time an official asked me for 100B for coming back the same day and I just said nothing. He gave me my passport and I was on my way. Easy. Folks, don't be so quick to reach into your pocket and pay anything someone tells you.

Ban Laem is the border post that all Pattaya visa run companies use. I have no experience doing it alone, but it costs me 1,700 with the "protection" of a visa run company, so how much do you expect to save doing it alone?

Not trying to save money - just time. I live in Bangpakong, have a car and don't want the hassle of having to be in Pattaya for 7am in the morning. I like to travel with my wife at our own pace rather than worry about some impatient minibus driver putting me in hospital.

Just remember you'll need either a bogus transportation ticket, or some proof of onward travel out of Thailand if you don't have a visa.

I have a non-imm O visa with more than 3 months left. I don't mind giving the guards the Bt200 for their bogus bus ticket - is that possible ?

Basically, I'm just trying to find out if the Ban Laem guys are as aggresive as the clowns at Poi Pet - so I know what to expect when I get there.

I have never paid more than $20USD for my visa. There is no need to pay anymore because of leaving the same day. One time an official asked me for 100B for coming back the same day and I just said nothing. He gave me my passport and I was on my way. Easy. Folks, don't be so quick to reach into your pocket and pay anything someone tells you.

I went along with my $20 note to Poi Pet and the guard would not take it. He told me to go to the Cambodian embassy in Bangkok and they will take it. What are you going to do when you're on your own in no mans land ?

I was so pissed off that when I got asked for the Bt100 for leaving the same day - I just said no !

The idiot started whinging and whining but at that stage I didn't care. He stamped my visa and away I went. Lesson learned.

I'm sure if you dig your feet in hard enough, you will get away with paying just $20, but you have to ask yourself if it's worth the effort because if you piss off the wrong guard, I'm sure they could make the rest of your day pretty tough.

I went along with my $20 note to Poi Pet and the guard would not take it. He told me to go to the Cambodian embassy in Bangkok and they will take it. What are you going to do when you're on your own in no mans land ?

I was so pissed off that when I got asked for the Bt100 for leaving the same day - I just said no !

The idiot started whinging and whining but at that stage I didn't care. He stamped my visa and away I went. Lesson learned.

I'm sure if you dig your feet in hard enough, you will get away with paying just $20, but you have to ask yourself if it's worth the effort because if you piss off the wrong guard, I'm sure they could make the rest of your day pretty tough.

Works for me 100% of the time. And I don't have to dig my feet in very hard. Just stick to the real price, and you will get it. I didn't have to wait any longer than others for my visa. But, don't believe a word that assistant guy says who checks the paperwork and staples your photo to the paper. Bypass him and give your papers direct to the window. He is a little devil. I saw one traveler who was right after me pay 1000B for his visa plus a few hundred baht more to the assistant to make sure he gets his visa "fast". He got his visa after mine, right in line.

But, don't believe a word that assistant guy says who checks the paperwork and staples your photo to the paper. Bypass him and give your papers direct to the window. He is a little devil.

That's the mistake I made. The smart looking assistant who speaks perfect, softly spoken English is just the guy you're looking for when nervous. I did not know I could bypass him and go straight to the counter.

I saw one traveler who was right after me pay 1000B for his visa plus a few hundred baht more to the assistant to make sure he gets his visa "fast". He got his visa after mine, right in line.

They tried that one with me - and failed.

Hunghung

i always say " i only have $20", never had a problem,.but i am an old hand at it, they tried to charge me for a non existant permit to ride out of province, i laughed, showed them my 20+ other cambodian visas and walked away, they will rob you blind if you allow it,.

B1200 is about DOUBLE.

moron alert.

If I was going on a package tour to Cambodia I would discuss this with the tour operator before I paid. Let them know you know the visa costs $20 and that is what you'll pay...perhaps with a small "express fee" added on.

B1200 is about DOUBLE.

moron alert.

If I was going on a package tour to Cambodia I would discuss this with the tour operator before I paid. Let them know you know the visa costs $20 and that is what you'll pay...perhaps with a small "express fee" added on.

I did my research on Cambodia visa cost before I went and found the cost was $20. I thought I would just pay directly to Cambodia immigration counter rather than through a middleman and so I didn't ask Maneerat (the tour operator) on visa issue. And that is where the tourist trap is.

BTW, I emailed twice to TAT (http://www.tourismthailand.org/contact-us/) about how to make a complaint, but I haven't heard from it. Is this because of Thai inefficiency or lack of motivation to handle complaints???

Ban Laem is the border post that all Pattaya visa run companies use. I have no experience doing it alone, but it costs me 1,700 with the "protection" of a visa run company, so how much do you expect to save doing it alone? Just remember you'll need either a bogus transportation ticket, or some proof of onward travel out of Thailand if you don't have a visa.

On my return to Thailand, I used the Koh Kong (Cambodia) border, which is about 90 minutes from Trat by road. That border is much, much less crowded and I would guess people are more honest there. If you want to use that border, I think you can take a minivan or bus from Pattaya to Trat and then take a minivan from Trat to that border (Trat is a nice, cheap place to stay for one or two days).

I finally found out that Ministry of Tourism and Sports (http://www.touristassistancecenter.go.th/web/default.html) is the right agent to file complaints. I filed two complaints: one regarding Maneerat's visa cost and currency exchange scams (which affect tourists in general) and the other regarding actual tour far from what was presented to me by Maneerat (which affects only me).

I disagree that we shouldn't confront the visa cost issue with the relevant Thai organizations. From the discussions on this thread, it is clear that there is great confusion about Cambodia visa cost. There should be one standard to follow so that tourists can travel at peace and with confidence. If some of you were pissed off in the past, you shouldn't let this trap perpetuate and see others falling into it.

You didn't just get ripped of on the visa but also on the forced changing of currency into Riel. The Dollar is widely accepted throughout Cambo and you can use Thai baht in many places as well. Offcourse life will be better when paying in Riel, but you could have waited untill you found a moneychanger of your choice.

Waerth

I wasn't forced to exchange at that ripoff place. The guide just touted the group to do exchange there. Some did exchange there, unfortunately.

:o

Do you really think they will handle your 'complaint'?

Got to tell this story to Nan and Fon .... they will probably laugh their asses off.

Of course, it will. It emailed the following message to me a few days ago (that was for the first complaint regarding visa cost and exchange scams; I have another complaint concerning tour quality and non-fullfillment of obligations):

"Thank you so much for your complaint. I will contract to Organizer who response for this case to arrangement for this problem and I will contract to Maneerat Transport & Travel ,So I will try to solve your problem. If I have more information I will contract you immidiately.

Regards,

Wilawan Mingmuang

Tourist Assistance Center

Ministry of Tourism and Sports"

Of course, what realy hurts Maneerat are the warnings I post on 100 plus travel forums (including Thaivisa).