Big Bike Rental In Pattaya

rikki

Can I rent a Fireblade or GSXR for a day or two in Pattaya?

What,s the cost? What are the conditions?

Do I leave a big deposit, or my passport?

Do you get helmets, leathers, gloves with it? If so a will they fit?

Are the tyres/ brakes going to be any good?

How far am I allowed to ride it?

If there's a crash/damage,who pays for repairs, is that going to be expensive?

Do they supply insurance, third party or otherwise?

Is there a chance to open it up anyplace?

Any good rides to do?

Any good rides to do?

If you have just a bit of common sense, then take the bath-bus or a taxi...

Sure...

Dont know in Patts but in Phuket 600 - 1000 per day is common kind of after haggling price..

They will want your passport.. I would never give them it, I have rented bikes leaving a copy of passport and a driving license..

You might get a tinpot helmet thats about as much use as a sand castle bucket.. Most Pattaya (and phuket) big bike rentors tend for the flip flops and shorts and a t shirt protective gear..

As a rule.. No awful..

How long is a piece of string.. You would struggle to leave the country :o they will probably get the arse if you leave the province and it breaks down but I consider any rental fine as long as its returned as specified.

You ALWAYS.. And even if they have insurance that would only be so they get paid twice..

Legal min cover is all I have ever seen from the 'rent to a tourist' brigade.

Depends on your level of sanity.. Not really if you have any..

Any good rides to do?

Plenty.. Tho having had smaller sportbikes here, thailands roads dont really suit a sportbike IMO, simply over powered here and too many obstacles, bad driving, dogs running about, cars turning without indicating etc etc etc..

You can rent just about any kind of bike in Pattaya. Harleys, Hondas, Kawasakis, all shapes, sizes, models. Along Beach Road are many vendors that rent bikes to foreigners.

Costs will vary, and can be negotiated (usually). Depends on the bike (size, newness, etc), how gullible you look, how long it's been since their last rental. etc.

You may have to leave a deposit and advance payment for the length of time you plan on renting the bike.

NEVER GIVE THEM YOUR PASSPORT ! It is ILLEGAL for you to be travelling around (by any means) without your passport on your person (though of course, many people do it all the time). Get a photocopy of the "face page" and the page showing your entry stamp. If they won't accept that, move on to the next vendor.

Most likely a cheap piece of crap helmet. Not too likely they will have leathers and gloves (and even if they did, guaranteed that they wouldn't have a great selection of sizes or types, and it would all be well worn and unwashed).

You'll have to decide that yourself when you are checking out the bikes. This isn't North America or Europe where there are standards that have to be maintained and enforced. What you see is what you get, and if it breaks down 100 meters down the road, expect to pay for the repairs.

Don't ask, don't tell. If you tell them you are planning on riding up to Chiang Mai or something, they will probably say no. If you tell them you are just going to be driving around the city, no problems.

Any damage from a crash is entirely yours to deal with (usually). The basic insurance provided isn't going to do you much good. If you do damage the bike, the dealer will be more than happy to have it repaired for you, at a considerable mark-up (some would say exorbitant mark-up). Even minor damage can be quite expensive.

There is another thread in this forum not too long ago about someone that had some minor damage to a moto they rented.

Any good rides to do?

Sure, be like all the other farang tourists ! Rent the biggest, baddest bike you can find, then blast down Beach Road, #2 Road, #3 Road, South/Central/North Pattaya roads, Thappraya, Theprasit, Sukhumvit or any of the smaller roads at full throttle (at least until you wipe out dramatically).

While the urge to "gun it" will be hard to resist, try to remember that you aren't going to impress anyone in Pattaya by roaring down the streets at high speed.

Also try to remember that the "rules of the road" that you may be used to back home, pretty much don't exist here. Vehicles will pull out in front of you, make sudden stops/turns without warning, drive the wrong way along the road (even on sidewalks), people will step out without warning, dogs every where (not to mention the other nutty drivers on the road, many who may be drunk as skunks at any time of the day).

Even people that have lived in Pattaya (or Thailand in general) for years get into accidents. If you don't want to become a statistic, resist the urge to show off.

Note that motorcycles are not allowed on the toll-highway (regardless of size). On any other road (i.e. highway 36), you can do some nice, scenic rides, but remember again, nobody is going to look out for you, so you have to look out for them, all the time, everywhere.

Back home they tell you to do a "shoulder check" before changing lanes or making a turn. In Thailand, I keep my head on a swivel all the time because you never know when someone will suddenly appear beside you and try to overtake you on one side or the other (or both sides at the same time).

(oh yeah, just a small note to keep in the back of your mind. If you do have a wipe-out, and survive, they will throw you in the back of a pick-up truck for the trip to the hospital. No paramedics or ambulances. Make sure you have really good travel insurance before you arrive).

I think that's about it (for now). I could go on about various rental scams to watch out for, but I've got other things to do right now.

Have fun !

• 9 months later...

Hello.

I don´t want to create a new topic and so I am going to ask here.

My plan is to travel from Bangkok to Phuket on a bigger bike (250 cm3 until 600 cm3), but I have not found a place to rent one.

Does anyone know any rentals for bigger bikes in Bangkok?

I've seen the other posters comments and I do concur with them regarding bikes in Thailand.

First of all if you do want to ride a bike here and are sensible about it you will enjoy the riding here a lot, and since you post a good question I will assume you;

1. Have a valid motorbike license from back home

2. Have enough riding experience to know hazards and emergency evasion techniques

You can rent grey market bikes at the beach road in Pattaya, assume you will pay about 1000 baht per day or less, the bikes are in various conditions so check it out properly before you take it. Insurance is not going to cover much so assume you will pay for any damage to the bike and for third party. They will ask for your passport and covered before give a copy of it with visa stamp and also a copy of your INTERNATIONAL driving permit plus your national driving license. You are NOT allowed to ride a bike without a license in Thailand in contradiction to what many assume, and you are also NOT allowed to ride with a national license but are required to ride with a National license supported by an international driving permit. All safety gear you should bring with you, the stuff they supply is not good enough and very dangerous to use in case of a crash. Finally there is no kilometer deal on rentals in Thailand for the bike rentals on the beach road so it's up to you how far you ride, also opening up anywhere you can do it if you feel it is safe and if you get stopped by the cops for speeding you can bribe depending on where they get you from 100 - ? Baht expect 200 baht bribe in Pattaya and Rayong, Isan normally a 100 does it. Bangkok and Phuket expect to pay more.

Hope that helped

Cheers Bard