Kickin A Soi Dogs Butt

gpdjohn

While doing my "fat off" strole here in the best mooban in all of CM, I have been so lucky as to meet some of the more than friendly soi creatures on 4 pads...

Being a lover of these creatures and not wishing them ill fortune, I take every precaution to aviod the meet and greet with teeth.

Sometimes, like tonight, one will just not see the light, not that any action on my part was taken to end this miserable 4 leggers exsistance, but if he does attempt to sink ivorys....

He will be killed. Right then and right there. Swiftly and without mercy.

What would happen if I did send this mange to meet the 72 Beagles??

The owner is aware of this problem and stands there watching the show of shows...but I will make him cry if his animal bites me.

While doing my "fat off" strole here in the best mooban in all of CM, I have been so lucky as to meet some of the more than friendly soi creatures on 4 pads...

Being a lover of these creatures and not wishing them ill fortune, I take every precaution to aviod the meet and greet with teeth.

Sometimes, like tonight, one will just not see the light, not that any action on my part was taken to end this miserable 4 leggers exsistance, but if he does attempt to sink ivorys....

The owner is aware of this problem and stands there watching the show of shows...but I will make him cry if his animal bites me.

Perhaps this isn't the best way to integrate into Thai society. Might even be a good way to integrate into Thai prison life.

As someone who went through this when I first arrived in Chiang Mai and took residence in a nice moobahn, I'd suggest there is NO NEED to harm the dogs at all, just take control of them. The dog with the biggest bark wins. That's the rule. So get yourself a small, pocket air horn available in most sporting goods stores and bicycle shops. About the size of a deodorant stick, these things can be heard for miles, and one quick blast is enough to turn away the meanest dog. (In fact, they even come with a handlebar clip because so many bike riders in the US have problems with dogs chasing them!) We had a new mamma Shepard attack from the porch of her house in protection of her pups turn in mid-air and retreat to her babies. These little horns are LOUD! That makes you the biggest dog on the street and nobody messes with the Big Dog....

No need to hurt the dogs. They are just being dogs. Certainly you can out-think them. :o

Perhaps this isn't the best way to integrate into Thai society. Might even be a good way to integrate into Thai prison life.

As someone who went through this when I first arrived in Chiang Mai and took residence in a nice moobahn, I'd suggest there is NO NEED to harm the dogs at all, just take control of them. The dog with the biggest bark wins. That's the rule. So get yourself a small, pocket air horn available in most sporting goods stores and bicycle shops. About the size of a deodorant stick, these things can be heard for miles, and one quick blast is enough to turn away the meanest dog. (In fact, they even come with a handlebar clip because so many bike riders in the US have problems with dogs chasing them!) We had a new mamma Shepard attack from the porch of her house in protection of her pups turn in mid-air and retreat to her babies. These little horns are LOUD! That makes you the biggest dog on the street and nobody messes with the Big Dog....

No need to hurt the dogs. They are just being dogs. Certainly you can out-think them. :o

Actually I would suggest that some one might beat the crap out of the owner.

I used to do the walking bit in the early morning (setting out at about 05.30)

One morning I had had enough and I stopped off at this shop selling brooms. The woman could not understand why I only wanted to but a broom handle.

Anyways on subsequent mornings I carried my "walking stick" and if I was attacked (or threatened) by a dog and it got close enough to me I would lash out. Didn't have too many problems for too long after that.

I agree that it might not be the dogs fault, more the owner who doesn't meet the responsibilities of owning a dog.

However while we are in a charitable mood how does one feel when a child is attacked and scarred for life.

No, as in the majority of things "prevention is better that all the being sorry after the event"

Edited by john b good

Good idea, I'll have to look into buying one, then I can leave my rambo knife at home when I go jogging :D

It would never be my intended purpose to injure or kill the dog. I have worked around dogs most of my life..most of 'em police dogs ( belgian malinois, ie..Mecheles Herders, Holland Herders and German Sheps ) I have been bitten numerous times, and used to decoy in KNPV and French Ring.

I know the signs dogs exibit prior to a bite and when they are just "playing chicken".

I guess I should have avoided the late night wine drinking feeble attempt at humor....

My question was ...well, as an example ( now I know this is Thailand, so bear with me here..)

Back in my state, if a person is bitten by a dog, the owner is responsible except in the circumstances when the dog was provked or you were in it's yard at the time of the bite. If the dog was killed or seriously injured in the attack, oh well...Possible criminal charges could apply if the animal was found to have been told to attack or has had prior attacks on humans and the owner is aware of the possibly for his dog to attack ..

I do agree not with your statement of "they are just being dogs". A dog will just not necessarly bite you unless it feels threatend or is protecting it's territory and it knows the owner would permit it or you are teasing ,or provoking it. It IS not NORMAL behavior for a NORMAL dog.

I know by my running , it perks up the dogs prey drive..so I walk when I'm in the vicinity of all dogs until I see how they will react. So, back to my question..

If all else fails, and the dog attacks/bites..

what are the legal ramifications here in Thailand for the owner of the animal and the victim of the attack?

Does anyone know???

Again, I will not stand by and let an animal bite me or my loved ones or ANYONE ELSE that just happends to be walking down the soi. It would be considered a "vicious animal" and must be dealt with accordingly.

And yeah, I carry a stick.

It would never be my intended purpose to injure or kill the dog. I have worked around dogs most of my life..most of 'em police dogs ( belgian malinois, ie..Mecheles Herders, Holland Herders and German Sheps ) I have been bitten numerous times, and used to decoy in KNPV and French Ring.

I know the signs dogs exibit prior to a bite and when they are just "playing chicken".

I guess I should have avoided the late night wine drinking feeble attempt at humor....

My question was ...well, as an example ( now I know this is Thailand, so bear with me here..)

Back in my state, if a person is bitten by a dog, the owner is responsible except in the circumstances when the dog was provked or you were in it's yard at the time of the bite. If the dog was killed or seriously injured in the attack, oh well...Possible criminal charges could apply if the animal was found to have been told to attack or has had prior attacks on humans and the owner is aware of the possibly for his dog to attack ..

I do agree not with your statement of "they are just being dogs". A dog will just not necessarly bite you unless it feels threatend or is protecting it's territory and it knows the owner would permit it or you are teasing ,or provoking it. It IS not NORMAL behavior for a NORMAL dog.

I know by my running , it perks up the dogs prey drive..so I walk when I'm in the vicinity of all dogs until I see how they will react. So, back to my question..

what are the legal ramifications here in Thailand for the owner of the animal and the victim of the attack?

Does anyone know???

Again, I will not stand by and let an animal bite me or my loved ones or ANYONE ELSE that just happends to be walking down the soi. It would be considered a "vicious animal" and must be dealt with accordingly.

"what are the legal ramifications here in Thailand for the owner of the animal and the victim of the attack?"

Probably SFA for the owner of the dog. (and that is if you could identify the owner of the dog)

Very often these are soi dogs i.e, no known address. Anywhere else they would be rounded up and put in the pound. If the owner did not come forward to claim them (and no one offers to take them in) they would be put down in a painless way.

That is not so easy here when the dog was some bodies aunt or uncle in a previous life.

I have been told by several Thais that the law is that the owner is responsible. But so what? The law is not meaningful often and even if it were put into effect, the damages you would likely get would be very small. Best avoid the issue of the law and take other alternative steps to not get bitten as other posts have suggested. If you choose to cary a stick, get a heavy one.

Ever since I got attacked by a vicious, partially muzzled boxer dog (while walking the beach in Hua Hin, innocently), I have carried a stick. It always works. But I do not chase the dog (like I chased that boxer, telling him that the Lord Buddha hated him).

And this pacifist doesn't even follow the advice of that American president who earned the Nobel Peace Prize, "speak softly and carry a big stick." A bamboo stick about a meter long seems sufficient, and if challenged, I am willing to beat the dog to death to protect myself.

A stick works for most Thai dogs that have learnt that humans with a stick normally win in these situations. Some time ago I punched a big farm dog that was in a barking dispute with one of our smaller dogs, the yelp and surprise of a human getting involved seemed to work.

Apart from the stick, dogs respond to a deep growling voice. I have faced a barking dog square on and closed the gap while growling - looks funny but in doggie terms I'm just being the agressor, not come across a dog that was trained enough to doubt me.

Woof !

Does anyone know???

What are the signs that a dog exhibits just prior to actually biting you? You seem to have a lot of experience in being bitten by a dog.

Edited by Contractor

A stick works for most Thai dogs that have learnt that humans with a stick normally win in these situations. Some time ago I punched a big farm dog that was in a barking dispute with one of our smaller dogs, the yelp and surprise of a human getting involved seemed to work.

Apart from the stick, dogs respond to a deep growling voice. I have faced a barking dog square on and closed the gap while growling - looks funny but in doggie terms I'm just being the agressor, not come across a dog that was trained enough to doubt me.

Woof !

I would not like your chances if confronted by a pitbull.....

perhaps a squeaky bark and roll on your back may help :o

You can always wear your suit, will even help more with the fat-off strole! :D

You could also just avoid going there where this particular dog lives. Just take another route.

Nienke

P.S. Oh and PB, you're not going to tell me you've got something against boxers, do you?! :o

Woof !

I would not like your chances if confronted by a pitbull.....

perhaps a squeaky bark and roll on your back may help :o

A thai bred pitbull would be so inbred itwould be so corr-eyes it couldn't see past the end of it's nose...

You can always wear your suit, will even help more with the fat-off strole! :D

You could also just avoid going there where this particular dog lives. Just take another route.

Nienke

P.S. Oh and PB, you're not going to tell me you've got something against boxers, do you?! :o

I used to think PB was one of the good guys but if he doesn't like boxers... :D:D

There's numerous ways to approach this:

Legal:

Stop daily at one of those road side vendors and buy some of those sausages or meatballs. Feed the dogs that are giving you hassle and make friends. This will also give you a chance to make friends with the owners.

Check the local leash laws. Perchance there's something on the books that you can make a polite nuisance out of yourself to have enforced.

Follow the previous posts about becoming the "Big Dawg".

Bend down as if you're going to pick up a rock. I've noticed that most soi dogs have been trained to realise that a human bending down after they were just threatened usually results in a painful stone being thrown at them afterwards.

Legal (?):

Buy one of those collapsable police batons. You either just have to hit a button and they clack out-providing an audio cue to the mutt-and than if the dog continues his aggression, aim for its muzzle.

Buy a can of chili (Pepper; Mace; whatever) spray. Just make sure it's directional instead of like an aeresoal deoderant. Wouldn't do much good if you had to walk/run/jog through those fumes.

100% Illegal:

Use your imagination.

I was probably wearing a brief swimsuit when the dog bit me. I think the dog has something against fat men in briefs!

When our first baby (who has a Bavarian first name) was still a baby crawling on the floor, we had a boxer pup named Eric, whose father weighed 85 pounds. Eric ran away and was found by a family whose baby was named Eric and whose dog had the same Bavarian name as my daughter. Later we named our third child Eric, who still thinks he is a Viking.

It is theorized that the mad dog in Hua Hin knew I had killed the stupid dog who stood in the road at Mae Taeng.

There's numerous ways to approach this:

Legal:

Stop daily at one of those road side vendors and buy some of those sausages or meatballs. Feed the dogs that are giving you hassle and make friends. This will also give you a chance to make friends with the owners.

Better still, pick up a 25k bag of dry dog food..... But when you put it out, put it in a long line or several small piles rather than one large pile. We tried the pile method first and discovered that the alpha dog would keep all the others away until he was finished. The runt on the street got none. After we noticed that, we began to put out about a kilo a day in several long lines. A couple of hundred baht a month was a small price to pay for peace and quiet, as well as feeding a bunch of hungry little folk. A couple of days this stopped all the barking. At us, anyway. :D

Check the local leash laws. Perchance there's something on the books that you can make a polite nuisance out of yourself to have enforced.

In Thailand?!?

Follow the previous posts about becoming the "Big Dawg".

Works great on strange dogs that don't know you. Also works on house intruders. The sound is just shy of the decible level of a jet engine..... Do not point the horn towards your own ears to check it out.

If you can't find these, try a Referee's Whistle. These can be found in most sporting goods stores, (third floor of the stationary/book store near the Irish Pub) in several forms. Most have a tri-tone and being 'pealess' can't be over-blown, and are loud enough to be heard over the crowds, small enough to fit in your pocket, and some even work under water (however it's safe to assume that most dogs won't attack you under water...) I carry one in my pocket at all times, but mostly for over-zealous parking attendants. We make a good duet. :o

Buy a can of chili (Pepper; Mace; whatever) spray. Just make sure it's directional instead of like an aeresoal deoderant. Wouldn't do much good if you had to walk/run/jog through those fumes.

Check the label carefully. CS and CN tear gas do NOT work on animals. You need to use a pepper spray. Alternately, ammonia in a small squirt bottle works well but it not as easy to carry. This also works on other denizens of the late night sois. Not 'quite' legal if your purpose is to use as a weapon, but, you can always tell the police that you were on the way to do the laundry.

Ever since my wife was attacked if we are out walking I always carry my 'flick stick'. One day I spoted the animal in question flicked the stick as it was growing and barking and chased after it. Needless to say I didn't catch it but it sure gave it a fright.

Any dog that comes in close proximity to us I automatically have it in my hand ready! I would never trust a Thai dog.

There are some lovely soi dogs here in pattaya,and i have never been bitten in 4.5 years.was coming home from pattaya a few months ago and a dog stood its ground and started to snarl at me,which gave me goose pimples on all of my body.instinctavely i kicked it as the thing got close to me and luckily i had good trainers on instead of my usual flip flops.it wont bite anybody again as i knocked his front teeth out.i was happy the dog bared his teeth as my upward kick stopped him biting anybody again.i felt sorry for this pathetic creature realy but you have to protect yourself if attacked.not sure if the dog belonged to anybody but a set of false teeth will be expensive lol.

Here is one way to keep dogs away from your homes powdered lime you can get it from all garden centres here in Scotland do not know if you can get it in Thailand . When the dog gets it on it,s paws it will cause a lot of pain and learn not to come near your home :o