Will She Get Free.

tweedwarp

Hello Everyone,

Last year while on holiday, I had the pleasure of meeting a very fine Lady, we spent all the time we had together, and i have returned now for my 4th visit, we still feel very strongly for each other and have decided to (tie the knot), Unfortunatelely, i have now found out that she was married to a British man in the month of March last year, they very quickly married in a Registery office in Bangkok, 2 days later the man returned to the UK, he never returned, never supported her, and has made little contact with her since the marriage, she now seeks a divorce, so that we can be free to marry, she has tried to contact him, to ask for the marriage to be disolved, and he flatly refuses, taking into account the facts that he has not supported her, and the fact that he never returned...can anyone tell me how she legally stands.

many thanks tweedwarp.

Hello Everyone,

Last year while on holiday, I had the pleasure of meeting a very fine Lady, we spent all the time we had together, and i have returned now for my 4th visit, we still feel very strongly for each other and have decided to (tie the knot), Unfortunatelely, i have now found out that she was married to a British man in the month of March last year, they very quickly married in a Registery office in Bangkok, 2 days later the man returned to the UK, he never returned, never supported her, and has made little contact with her since the marriage, she now seeks a divorce, so that we can be free to marry, she has tried to contact him, to ask for the marriage to be disolved, and he flatly refuses, taking into account the facts that he has not supported her, and the fact that he never returned...can anyone tell me how she legally stands.

many thanks tweedwarp.

If both parties to a Thai marriage agree, then the divorce can occur at an Amphur - it takes just a few minutes.

However when 1 party does not want a divorce, but there are sufficient grounds such as you describe, then with no contact during 1 year a divorce can be applied for through the courts. This must unfortunately be done through a lawyer, may take up to 6 months or thereabouts and will likely cost in the region of 50/60,000bt.

Trust this helps

Edited by prakhonchai nick

I hope this works out for you , I would be asking mself some deep soul searching questions, the lady married a guy knowing he was returning home two days later??? no further contact??? now one year later she wants to marry you??? Rose tinted spectacles spring to mind but not for me to judge I would be a little bit cynicial though.

she has tried to contact him, to ask for the marriage to be disolved, and he flatly refuses, taking into account the facts that he has not supported her, and the fact that he never returned...can anyone tell me how she legally stands.

many thanks tweedwarp.

I dunno tweedwarp, you would think he would be glad to be shot of it all if he hasn't supported her or returned to see her.

Something doesn't seem right but that wasn't your reason for posting. Good luck with the divorce.

Hello Everyone,

many thanks tweedwarp.

Perhaps he found out something about the, 'fine lady' that he didn't like.

Tread carefully.

Hello Everyone,

many thanks tweedwarp.

Perhaps he found out something about the, 'fine lady' that he didn't like.

Tread carefully.

Like he might have found out about tweedwarp..........I dont use the T word that often, but first post, give us a break unless you want to give us a better picture, or maybe which establishment she works in!