Upgrade To 512

Kringle

I just spent the last couple of days taking my cpu to "the Mall" and wanted to go to 512 RAM, had a 256 card in it already and when I was trying to get some other bugs cleared up, noticed that the new card had 512 on it along with my original 256 next to it. I do not understand this and sure don't understand when I go to "properties", it states that I have only 256 RAM instead of 512. What's up? I've got a few other bugs I'm trying to figure out but I'll take them as they come.

I also want to print out exactly what my computer has on it and what it can do. How do I do this. I did it once before but can't remember what I did. This will help so I can say what's in the bloody thing.

I know you guys are cluey on this and I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Kringle

hi'

it could be what britmaveric said, but it would be a bit surprising ...

how old is your computer?

do you see the memory count on boot?

did you check that the new memory card is properly sloted in?

if all these checks doesn't give any result, then like britmaveric said remove the 256 one, and slot the 512 in slot one (in place of the "old" 256 ...

just to say, motherboard that don't support more than 512 are becoming rare ...

is it a laptop?

tell us more :o

cheers

francois

Francois and Bitmaverick r both right, see if you can find what mem they did install and what should have been installed, if last is unknown check Crucial to find your match

a way to get a list of hardware in your computer goto start click run enter " c:\windows\system32\dxdiag.exe " (without the ") and save all info (nfo will be saved as txt ) which you can print by notepad or whatever

assume that you run windows (by the amount of present bugs)

rgds,

Well, it's done it again (gone down) and I'm back to my old computer. After I tried to download the updates from Microsoft, it installed some and didn't a couple others and then after I restarted it, starts, then gets to the Windows XP logo and won't go any further. Just stays on this and doesn't change. Really beginning to upset me because I've taken the whole thing (cpu,printer,scannerand modem) to the shop and then it screws up again. They had a hard time installing the modem driver. They do some other stuff and it works there, get it home works for a while and aaaaaahh.

Do you guys know where I can find someone that speaks English that can fix this #@%** thing. Im right outside Bangkok but will bring it in if I can find someone that I can talk to and can fix it.

I think they put the wrong card in but I don't know.

My original: DDR 256MB

256 MHZ PC2100

New one: 512MB DDR

PC3200 cl 2.5

0409D

I really appreciate any help you can supply. Kringle

Hi,

pc 2100 and pc3200 don't match, get rid of that new one, you can do it yerself, internet is full of pictures and diagrams of how to install a new bank

always keep the motherboard manual or manufacturers instruction booklet supplied with the computer and bring it with you when upgrading.

computer components are getting antique very quickly and rare after a while

go back once more, you gotta go anyway to replace that memory bank,

rgds,

I'm back up with a new mother board installed and most things seem to work. I have printed the first 24 of the 64 pages of what my computer has or will or will not do, so what info can I give to help me resolve my problems? I'm also showing 768 RAM now with the new 512 and the old 256 cards.

I am having trouble connecting to Microsoft updates. When I try to go there it states that "this page cannot be displayed" and I've refreshed, detected network settings and even went to the security settings to click TSL 1.0 which was not clicked before. On the page it says that I should also click PCT 1.0 but I cannot find it listed. I know I need to get the updates but can't seem to get there, what can I do? Thanks again for all the help, Kringle

I'm also getting an "ERROR" message whenever I post something and have to hit the back button to get back in. The post goes in but but I can't continue without backing up.

Highwayman,

When I go to update, I get this error code: 0x8DDD0004.

When I tried to list the urls you listed, it states that it must have a prefix of https://

When I unclick this and try to list these, it states that I have entered an invalid wildcard sequence.

Under Active x controls and plug-ins, there are three choices: disable, enable and prompt. below is what is on mine at this time.

Download signed active x controls - Prompt

Download unsigned active x controls- Disabled

Initialize and script active x controls not marked as safe- Disable

Run active x Controls and plug-ins - Enable

Script active x controls marked safe for scripting - Enable

So what do I do now? Thanks, Kringle

Kringle, you Google the error message. :o

I did and here's one that might be worth reading (it's interspersed with other error message queries).

microsoft.public.windowsupdate

It's approaching the problem in a similar fashion to my previous answer. I suggested that because that worked for me previously. Maybe also try setting those disabled ActiveX settings to prompt (temporarily) to see if that makes a difference. I think l got my answer at the time from either the Microsoft Knowledge base or the help function at the side of the page when l had your problem. Anyway read all the relevant posts in the link l provided. If you don't get an answer from that then you'll have to do some more searching though l still reckon ActiveX and trusted zones will be part of your answer.

Thetyim, are you sure about not being able to mix speeds? Aren't PC3200 modules backward compatible with PC2700 and PC2100? Combining a PC3200 module with a PC2100 module should work, just means that the memory will only read at PC2100. Most systems would support that combination l would have thought.

Kringle, there's also mention in the Windows Update FAQ about possible pop-up blocker problems.

Why can’t I view update details, installation history details, or troubleshooting articles?

Your pop-up blocking software or settings do not allow you to open new browser windows from links that you click within a Web site.

To change Pop-up Blocker settings (available only for Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP SP2):

In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, point to Pop-up Blocker, and then click Pop-up Blocker Settings.

Do one of the following:

To allow pop-up windows only when using Windows Update, under Address of Web site to allow, type (or copy and paste) this URL: https://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and then click Add.

To allow new browser windows to open when using any secured (https://) Web sites, in the Filter Level list, click Low: Allow pop-ups from secure sites.

Highwayman,

Did as you suggested and got everything to work and thanks. I now have all updates and the SP2 is downloaded also. I'm not positive, but it looks good so far. :o

I would also like to thank everyone else for their help. As far as the original 256 RAM and the new 512 RAM, they are both installed and according to my printout, it states that I have with the 512 in slot 1 and the 256 in slot 2 :

Total Physical memory 768.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 536.15 MB

Total virtual memory 2.58 GB

Available Virtual Memory 2.16 GB

Thank all of you again for your help and guidance.

Cheers,

Kringle

you have 768 meg of ram but only 536 available, so it proba means winXP is using the other 200 odd meg of ram, though if you have onboard video it may be using some also.

sorry i didn t look at this thread earlier ( I thought the 256 and 512 was referring to ADSL )

I have found that some times after upgrading the ram on some mobos you need to just go into the bios and make no changes, just save and exit then it willl see the new ram.

good to hear you have the show on the road again

hi Kringle,

click start / all programs/ accessories / system tools / system information

there you'll find in the system summary total physical memory if this reads 760 something all should be ok, available physical memory is physical memory minus apps that are loaded (ie windows etc).

there you state that you have 536 megs available memory assume that all ok and your new memory bank is working (meaning 512+++)

the thing is that this upgrade could have been less expensive by using a pc2100 bank (same as the original allready installed)

as your motherboard does not use the capabilty of the faster new bought memory (if it supported it at all)

rgds,