Mae Sai Immigration

I went to Mae Sai immigration on the 27th to get a retirement extension expecting a large hassle in that they wanted 800k in the bank and a 40k per month income. I suspected a tea money hustle for any reason they could find but someone higher up must have informed them that their requirements were not in the rule book. They gave me the extension with only the 800k in the bank and didn't even ask to see proof of income of any kind.

I once read on this forum that immigration officers read the posts here from time to time. My guess is that someone higher up read that spicy thread on 'Government corruption and tea money' and learned of my problem with Mae Sai.

One strange thing though was the need of a letter from a doctor. I told them that I didn't know that that was required and they just sent me 200 meters down the street to a hospital where they took my passport, copied my name and gave me a form letter for 50 baht. No questions about my health were asked and I didn't see a doctor.

From a big problem to no problem for God only knows way.

Another strange thing was that I had to fill out a TM 47 report which was redundant redundant in that I had given the same address information on the TM 7 form. I never read that a TM 47 report was needed for a retirement extension. Are these people just misinformed?