Thai Gf Wants To Divorce

My Thai GF, who I have been with for 7 months now wants to divorce her scottish husband. She has not heard or seen for 14 months from him. Can anyone tell me how hard or easy it is for her to do without contacting him. Any advice well recieved. Thanks

My Thai GF, who I have been with for 7 months now wants to divorce her scottish husband. She has not heard or seen for 14 months from him. Can anyone tell me how hard or easy it is for her to do without contacting him. Any advice well recieved. Thanks

Perhaps he's already aware that you've been poking the fire in his absence?

Depends what you mean by contacting him. If you are wondering if she can get divorced with him having absolutely no part in the process whatsoever, then it's a no in the UK. Did they marry in the UK? She can get a divorce without having to contact him directly, ie always going through a solicitor, but he may want to contest the divorce and even if he doesn't he will have to sign some papers from the court.

You will have to wait for 5 years separation for a non contestable divorce. And even than you will need to get the respondent to acknowledge delivery of service (the divorce petition). If you cant contact him the court will want to see that you have made every effort to do. eg post 3 consecutive adds in the local paper where he last lived, contact family, etc. If he proves illusive it is them possible to serve the petiton on a family member.

In my own case even after 5 years seperation judge would accept nothing less that written achnoledgement of servise from the ex.

Sorry I should have explained better, they only married in Thailand.
Was it registered at the Amphur?

But was it registered at the Amphur? The reason Brit is asking, is because if it was, then it is legal in the Uk.

Moss

Not sure, she doesn't know, shes going to find out. If it wasn't what does it mean then?

I would have thought she would know...I'm sure there's a few forms to sign at the Amphur :o

If no Amphur wedding...they're not "legally" married. Problem solved. :D

RAZZ

Ok well she did register at the Amphur, so now its going to be a waiting game. The reason she wanted to get divorced is that she wants to come to UK to be with me for 2-3 months until I get new holiday time from work, I have no holiday left now and 7 - 8 months of not seeing her is going to be so long. It looks as though we will have to wait that long now, why is it the UK let any other bugger in from india to russia for as long as they want, but Asia cant even come for a days holiday. Bloody country is going down the drain. Well maybe its time for me to sell up and wave good bye to Blighty, its getting to expensive here anyway. cheers everyone for your help.

I think you better live up to your name "Sharpie" as what you are suggesting doesn't sound too sharp to me - being involved in the dumping of a husband for a 2-3 month trip to the UK - "nice one" -

And just maybe - that's one good reason why it is difficult to get visas for Thai G/F's

If only registered at the amphur then the UK government knows nothing about it unless she filed for a visa to come to the UK after marriage or the husband used her name on any tax forms in the UK etc.

Presuming the UK does not know about her marriage, then your sponsoring her for a holiday visit would be no different than if she was not married. You can do the research on what to do to get that visa here and on the embassy site.

Personally, unless she has been to the UK, or applied for a visa, then I envisage no problem.

As for divorcing her husband, then again, if it was only registered in Thailand then you need only follow whatever the Thai laws are regarding abandonment. If not registered at the amphur, then she is not married at all.

You need to do some homework.