Puns And Malapropisms

katastrophic

As a lover of wordplay in English, I guess the Thai language must be wide open for puns, with so many of their words having different meanings but sounding the same or similar. Has anyone come across any good examples of puns in sentences? As I've only just started to learn to read Thai, I'd appreciate any examples you have transliterated if possible. While I'm on the subject, do the Thais have the equivalent of Malapropisms? If so, has anyone heard any good ones? Thanks for your time and I look forward to some interesting replies!

Ahh ... welcome to the world of คำผวน 'kham phuan' - kind of a Pig Latin for Thai.

There are quite a few books (in Thai) that you can pick up from most bookstores that will show you hundreds of examples. The Thai Wiki on it can be found here - http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B8%84%E0%...%B8%A7%E0%B8%99

You could also cut and paste the word คำผวน into google and find a whole lot of examples.

If you break a syllable down as:

Initial (consonant) + Vowel / Tone + Final = I+ TVF

The general rule for phuan'ing 2 words is:

I1 T1V1F + I2 T2V2F2 --> I1 T2V2F2 + I2 T1V1F1

Put into practice -

A slang term for 'diarrhea' is:

ขี้แตก - (khi -falling tone, taek - low tone i.e. -splatty caca)

Once it's been phuan'ed it would become:

แขกตี้ (khaek - low tone, ti - falling tone -

แขกkhaek = 客 = guest or person from South Asia / Middle East often reffered to Malays, Indonesian and a whole array of other unsuspecting people.

ตี้ - ti with a falling tone is not really a word, but when said together, kinda sounds like the word to 'slap' ตี

So - when someone has the runs, they might say as a euphemism something that sounds similar to 'I'm slapping the indian' - แขกตี้.

You'll find that about 30% of the people you come across can phuan very quickly, another 55% will take a bit longer to realise the have to / actually 'phuan' the term back, and there is a section of people where 'phuan'd' words will just go innocently straight over their head.

Most phuan'ed words you come across have ทะลึ่ง (risque) connotations and should be avoided when in the company of people that you need maintain a wholesome reputation with.

I notice very often when Farang are learning Thai, they might unknowingly use word combinations that have Thais rolling around in stitches - e.g. - to 'See the bear' - เห็นหมี . The response from a Thai might be 'but I just washed this morning'.

To play it safe, stay away from word combinations that ห / ป and อี, and also words that use the อวย vowel.

Some other examples include (Taken from the Wikipedia - chosen because of their safety)

* อรีด่อย Ari Doi = อร่อยดี Aroi Di - Delicious

* สวีดัด Sawit Dat = สวัสดี Sawat Di

* ก้างใหญ่ Kang Yai = ไก่ย่าง Kai Yang (BBQ Chicken)

* จอเค็บ Jo Khep = เจ็บคอ Jep Kho (Sore Throat)

Just remember -if you're determined to use a risqué play on words, make sure that you know that you are obliged that privilege by the person that you're speaking to. Some (many) of them are very crass, and could unknowingly serve to ruin a relationship with someone if they don't have the stomach for what your mouth is delivering.

Guck Lood!

I think katastrophic was referring to "puns" rather than คำผวน, but I agree with both of you that the Thai language is perfect for hilarious wordplay. (Now you know why Thais are always smiling and laughing! :o)

Due to both puns and "kham phuan" here are tons of อะไรเอ่ย? (arai oei? = what animal/thing _____?) jokes as well as other types. A couple can be seen in previous thread Jokes That Only Work In Thai.

I can't really think of any Malapropisms at the moment, though. Will let you know if I come across any.

I think this could be classed as a malapropism that many foreigners inadvertently commit when they start speaking Thai; in any case it is good advice: when using the word ควาย ( kwaai), meaning buffalo, make sure to drag your 'aa' and make it extra long, to avoid the common mistake of pronouncing it with a short 'a'.

I think this could be classed as a malapropism that many foreigners inadvertently commit when they start speaking Thai; in any case it is good advice: when using the word ควาย ( kwaai), meaning buffalo, make sure to drag your 'aa' and make it extra long, to avoid the common mistake of pronouncing it with a short 'a'.

Thanks ElZorro, but what word am I saying if I use the short 'a'?

I didn't open this can of worms, but since it's open, the word is ควย /khuay/, a very vulgar word for the penis. I've also heard people mis-say คุย /khuy/ 'talk' as this word. It's a dangerous one!

Edited by Rikker

Ahh ... welcome to the world of คำผวน 'kham phuan' - kind of a Pig Latin for Thai.

There are quite a few books (in Thai) that you can pick up from most bookstores that will show you hundreds of examples. The Thai Wiki on it can be found here - http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B8%84%E0%...%B8%A7%E0%B8%99

You could also cut and paste the word คำผวน into google and find a whole lot of examples.

If you break a syllable down as:

Initial (consonant) + Vowel / Tone + Final = I+ TVF

The general rule for phuan'ing 2 words is:

I1 T1V1F + I2 T2V2F2 --> I1 T2V2F2 + I2 T1V1F1

Put into practice -

A slang term for 'diarrhea' is:

ขี้แตก - (khi -falling tone, taek - low tone i.e. -splatty caca)

Once it's been phuan'ed it would become:

แขกตี้ (khaek - low tone, ti - falling tone -

แขกkhaek = 客 = guest or person from South Asia / Middle East often reffered to Malays, Indonesian and a whole array of other unsuspecting people.

ตี้ - ti with a falling tone is not really a word, but when said together, kinda sounds like the word to 'slap' ตี

So - when someone has the runs, they might say as a euphemism something that sounds similar to 'I'm slapping the indian' - แขกตี้.

You'll find that about 30% of the people you come across can phuan very quickly, another 55% will take a bit longer to realise the have to / actually 'phuan' the term back, and there is a section of people where 'phuan'd' words will just go innocently straight over their head.

Most phuan'ed words you come across have ทะลึ่ง (risque) connotations and should be avoided when in the company of people that you need maintain a wholesome reputation with.

I notice very often when Farang are learning Thai, they might unknowingly use word combinations that have Thais rolling around in stitches - e.g. - to 'See the bear' - เห็นหมี . The response from a Thai might be 'but I just washed this morning'.

To play it safe, stay away from word combinations that ห / ป and อี, and also words that use the อวย vowel.

Some other examples include (Taken from the Wikipedia - chosen because of their safety)

* อรีด่อย Ari Doi = อร่อยดี Aroi Di - Delicious

* สวีดัด Sawit Dat = สวัสดี Sawat Di

* ก้างใหญ่ Kang Yai = ไก่ย่าง Kai Yang (BBQ Chicken)

* จอเค็บ Jo Khep = เจ็บคอ Jep Kho (Sore Throat)

Just remember -if you're determined to use a risqué play on words, make sure that you know that you are obliged that privilege by the person that you're speaking to. Some (many) of them are very crass, and could unknowingly serve to ruin a relationship with someone if they don't have the stomach for what your mouth is delivering.

Guck Lood!

Thanks Jay_Jay for your comprehensive reply! I think I'm going to need a much better grasp of Thai before I can attempt anything you suggest, so it's out with the books and CDs again!

From what I can understand of your post, 'kham phuan' seems closer to Spoonerisms than puns, what do you think?

I think katastrophic was referring to "puns" rather than คำผวน, but I agree with both of you that the Thai language is perfect for hilarious wordplay. (Now you know why Thais are always smiling and laughing! :o )

Due to both puns and "kham phuan" here are tons of อะไรเอ่ย? (arai oei? = what animal/thing _____?) jokes as well as other types. A couple can be seen in previous thread Jokes That Only Work In Thai.

I can't really think of any Malapropisms at the moment, though. Will let you know if I come across any.

Thanks siamesekitty, do you think that 'kham phuan' is the Thai equivalent of Spoonerisms? I look forward to reading any Malapropisms you come across. I used one in my first post, replacing deterrent with detergent. (well I thought it was funny!).

yes, I think they are Spoonerisms. As for Malaproprisms, try watching some Thai slapstick comedy, sometimes they say something wrong "by mistake" and everybody goes "hey!" and there's some drum sounds & canned laughter. Shows such as ระเบิดเถิดเทิง (Rabuhd Thuhd Thuhng) or ชิงร้อยชิงร้าน (Ching Roi Ching Lahn) come to mind.