Hello,

I'm married with a Thai wife and am in my late 20's. I will be spending my life in Thailand and am considering using a bit of our money to start a rubber and or palm oil tree plantation.

We've found some large plots in the south (50-100rai) and it seems that we're looking at paying around 15,000 baht a rai. Trees will take 7+ years to start producing rubber but we're still quite young. Is anyone doing this or know much about it? A small but steady cash flow in the future is what we're after. I'm looking to diversify more and would like to own land with my wife. My wife's father has some smaller plots himself that he has planted with rubber trees and seems to be doing ok - his fulltime job is a shcool principal. I'm just trying to get some opinions from those that have done this. Was it a good idea for you? How are you doing? My wife's father is a great guy and will be a good resource in getting this done. He's a huge optimist though and it's hard to get negative responses from him. This would not be our main source of income but would hopefully suppliment what we make elsewhere. I was hoping someone could mention if they were actually doing ok with a 50-100rai plantation and also how "hands on" you have to be with a tree plantation. Thanks.

• 4 months later...
Hello,

I'm married with a Thai wife and am in my late 20's. I will be spending my life in Thailand and am considering using a bit of our money to start a rubber and or palm oil tree plantation.

We've found some large plots in the south (50-100rai) and it seems that we're looking at paying around 15,000 baht a rai. Trees will take 7+ years to start producing rubber but we're still quite young. Is anyone doing this or know much about it? A small but steady cash flow in the future is what we're after. I'm looking to diversify more and would like to own land with my wife. My wife's father has some smaller plots himself that he has planted with rubber trees and seems to be doing ok - his fulltime job is a shcool principal. I'm just trying to get some opinions from those that have done this. Was it a good idea for you? How are you doing? My wife's father is a great guy and will be a good resource in getting this done. He's a huge optimist though and it's hard to get negative responses from him. This would not be our main source of income but would hopefully suppliment what we make elsewhere. I was hoping someone could mention if they were actually doing ok with a 50-100rai plantation and also how "hands on" you have to be with a tree plantation. Thanks.

how south are you looking at??? hope not in yala, patani or naratiwat....

the prices for land there are cheap like you mentioned caus its too UNSAFE for rubber farmers to tap rubber....if u r not aware of the situation do some diggin in thai news...

if you are not looking at a land so south, then its too difficult to get land at 15,000 a rai.....the land prices are much higher due to the high peices of rubber.

the rubber plantation is givin huge returns....no farmer wants to let go of his land.

u dont need to be a plantation expert if u r gonna appoint other ppl to do your stuff....

i would recomend as a stater, you go for palm plantation as it requires much labour and care. just grow the trees n collect the nuts thats all.

if at a later stage you can go in for a small oil mill also.

rubber is a very labour intensive crop as the farmer needs to go early morning to tap into each tree and and go in again in the afternoon heat(that is if its not raining) to collect the tapped rubber.

thats the reason they have replaced rubber plantations at malaysia with palm plantations.

on the other hand rubber gives a very good returns. as per what i hear from friends at hat yai that there is always shortage of raw material here and companies are fighting to get what little is available.

50 to 100 rai is a good size, in thailand it would be a BIG plantation...

you can grow some short term crops like some fruits n stuff to help you with plantation expenses while your main crop matures....

• 1 month later...
Do a search for orchard or plantation in the Isaan forum :o

Good luck and a good idea. :D

I have done a tremendous amount of research on rubber and believe it is viable, where are you getting land at 15K haven't seen anything like that in the Issan area

There is a considerable amount of information about rubber in the Issan forum