Dr Oliver Is Gone!

Mobi

The other day I went down to Dr Oliver's clinic, off Pattaya Tai, and was shocked to find that it was closed up with a sign on the window saying the building was for sale.

We seem to have lost the only farang GP who had a clinic in Pattaya andI for one will miss him.

Anyone have the story on this?

personally i dont know, maybe he retired or moved, but this might help if you havent tried allready!

Open Monday – Friday 9.00 – 17.00

Saturday 9.00 – 13.00

124/83-84 Moo 10

Pattaya City

20150 Chonburi Province , Thailand

Tel: +66 (0)38 723 521, Fax: +66 (0)38 723 522

website http://www.dr-olivier-clinic.com/English.htm

After hours: +66 (0)38 377 463

chris

personally i dont know, maybe he retired or moved, but this might help if you havent tried allready!

Saturday 9.00 – 13.00

124/83-84 Moo 10

Pattaya City

chris

No, he's gone.

That is the address of his clinic. It is closed up and the building is for sale. (I imagine he lived upstairs as it is 4 storey building)

He was far too young to retire.

It was a very nice, clean, fully equipped clinic with it's own dispensary etc. as you can see from the website. It was also a good location, and he owned the building, so it's inconceivable that he moved.

Edited by Mobi

I went there last Wednesday to see him,500 BAHT plus medicines,he was quite good.

I noticed inside the waiting room there were written notices selling a 4 story shop house,and another one selling the Doctors house in some place 4.3 million baht.I heard he is heading to Sydney Australia for a hospital there.Maybe a management position,I dont know.

I wondered why he didnt say to me if your condition doesnt approve come back,he must of been closing at the end of last week.

I imagine the sales ads he has up the selling his house plus that 4 storey office building that he s finally seeing sense and buggering off back to FarangLand where he can make more money or maybe he just wants a career job?

I suppose being a good Doctor like he is he can get a highly paid job with any Government Dept in the world,im not sure why he has chosen Sydney,i doubt it would be good money.

Yes i think he s closed for good.

Maybe the shophouse is already sold and the house too?

Anyway i dont think he is opening again.

Im not sure why he has taken this step in leaving,surely he would be happy just to work Thailand?

Why sell everything up and leave?

I thought he was French? Well i suppose being a Doctor you can get a job anywhere.

Must be a hard decision to make but for him,to sell everything off means your not coming back doesnt it?

Edited by actiondell4

Saturday 9.00 – 13.00

124/83-84 Moo 10

Pattaya City

chris

No, he's gone.

That is the address of his clinic. It is closed up and the building is for sale. (I imagine he lived upstairs as it is 4 storey building)

He was far too young to retire.

It was a very nice, clean, fully equipped clinic with it's own dispensary etc. as you can see from the website. It was also a good location, and he owned the building, so it's inconceivable that he moved.

"No, he's gone."

"He was far too young to retire"

sorry, i posted his website so you may try calling him or emailing him!

"personally i dont know, maybe he retired or moved, but this might help if you havent tried allready!"

Thanks for the info actiondell4.

He's obviously gone for good.

Shame, I found him very thorough with reasonable fees.

He was a good alternative to the hospitals and Thai clinics.

Sometimes Pattaya takes two steps forward and one step back.

Does anyone know of any other, reliable "GP" type medical services, by doctors who are used to treating farangs?

I have nothing particular against Thai Doctors, and some of them are very good, but farangs are different, and we often need a different approach to our ailments. Sometimes we need higher strength meds (because we are bigger), which most Thai doctors don't seem to appreciate. Thai patients also always expect a whole range of meds, and their doctors satisfy this need. (the "team principle - one of the 'team' is bound to work). This can cause more harm than good, as recently happened to me when I was prescribed with some very powerful antibiotics for a fever of undiagnosed origins, which resulted in me having an 'inbalance' of bacteria in my gut, and I became quite ill.

He was a good alternative to the hospitals and Thai clinics.

I've been i'll with 3 or 4 various things over the last 6 years and each time I though i'd pop down the clinic to get it sorted quickly.... On each occasion they prescribed me a complete load of shit and I ended up @ an international hospital 2/3 days later where I was told to quite literally throw what i'd been given @ the clinic in the proper doctors bin.

Anyone know of clinics run by western docs in BKK?

:o

I believe Dr. Belen Clinic is run by a (possibly female) European Doctor. But check it out, I have never been myself. I was given this clinic as a supposedly good alternative to the hospitals by Dr. Iain around 7 years ago (probably before he started working for Bangkok Hospital Pattaya...)

The clinic is located off 2nd road, down 150-200 meters on the right hand side, in the soi next to the main branch of Bangkok Bank. Try this phone number: 038-427569. I have seen that they have their own ambulance as well parked outside.

Dr. Belen is indeed female, but hails from the Philippines!

She probably has a pretty good relationship with Pattaya Bangkok Hospital, since if she has the slightest doubt about what's wrong with you, she'll refer you to Bkk Pattaya hospital!

Friends recommended Dr Belen to me about five years ago. She is very well known amongst the Pattaya ex-pat community. I have used her services a few times for minor problems over the past few years and have only good comments on her professionalism.

Apart from her clinic, I would not recommend any of the small clinics in Pattaya. As someone else wrote they are basically a waste of time and money. Can be dangerous also as they prescribe medicines that are unsuitable, and even worse may mis-diagnose completely.

If I had a serious problem I would go to Bangkok-Pattaya, Pattaya International, or if I could make the trip then Bumrungrad in Bangkok would be best of all. Best to avoid serious problems whilst here though, and for that reason I have what they call an "Executive Check-Up" once a year. These are usually all day affairs when they check blood, heart, lungs, urine, x-ray, etc, etc. for a few thousand baht. Most of the hospitals will provide this service. Queen Sikirit in Sattahip is one of the cheapest, but very good.

Dr. Mongkol is as good Doctor as I have seen anywhere, speaks perfect English, spotless clinic and well used to dealing with Farangs.

He is in the corner of the car park area of the Jomtien mini food market place with all the incredibly high prices.

BTW Dr. Belen is a very good and knowledgeable nurse not a Doctor.

Dr. Mongkol is as good Doctor as I have seen anywhere, speaks perfect English, spotless clinic and well used to dealing with Farangs.

He is in the corner of the car park area of the Jomtien mini food market place with all the incredibly high prices.

I've heard good reports of DR Mongkol. What I have heard that e is Thai but many years in USA, retired back here and opened a clinic because he was bored.

Saturday 9.00 – 13.00

124/83-84 Moo 10

Pattaya City

chris

No, he's gone.

He was far too young to retire. If circumstances permit - no one is too young to retire.

This is going from bad to worse. Now the good doctor is a nurse. Sorry to have been the one to offer up the name of this doctor (nurse)...

Why not do as sensible people do, and go to some top class hospital. I am surprised that some very well off people will even consider going to a clinic, but I tried to help. Nevermind.

The surprising thing is that he chose to settle in Pattaya for so long given that's he's a very competent and dashing Swiss doctor. I'm sure he'll be making a lot more money in Australia.

The cost of getting vaccines is about 50% more expensive in a Pattaya hospital compared to Bangkok so you're probably better off going to Bumrungrad than the overpriced Pattaya hospitals.

The surprising thing is that he chose to settle in Pattaya for so long given that's he's a very competent and dashing Swiss doctor. I'm sure he'll be making a lot more money in Australia. Living in Pattaya does have compensations.

The cost of getting vaccines is about 50% more expensive in a Pattaya hospital compared to Bangkok so you're probably better off going to Bumrungrad than the overpriced Pattaya hospitals.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

This is going from bad to worse. Now the good doctor is a nurse. Sorry to have been the one to offer up the name of this doctor (nurse)...

Why not do as sensible people do, and go to some top class hospital. I am surprised that some very well off people will even consider going to a clinic, but I tried to help. Nevermind.

So in your home country you went to a hospital every time you felt ill or had a chronic medical complaint did you?

I agree that if there are no good clinics then you have no choice but to go to a hospital.

But Dr Oliver did run a good clinic and was a good GP. If it was serious enough he would refer you to a hospital, or, more likely would send you for blood tests etc, just like they do at G.P.'s surgeries back home. And he wouldn't fill you with a whole range of meds in the hope that one of them might cure you. And you could talk to to him about your problem and he would discuss and explain your condition in a "farang' way, as opposed to most Thai doctors, who are used to behaving as though "they know best" and that you know nothing about medicine.

If you go to BPH, the likelihood is that they will do every medical test known to mankind and you will end up with a pretty steep bill, because that place is just there to make money.

I was recently admitted to PIH following my road accident. I was suffering from concussion, lacerations and head wounds, and unknown internal injuries. It was around 10 p.m.

• They refused to go near me until someone paid a deposit of 10, 000 Baht. My wife was still at the scene of the accident, so she had to call her sister to go over and pay the money for me.

• They cleaned and stitched my head wounds but made no attempt to examine me for any other injuries - internal or otherwise. If they did they would have found a nasty gash on my arms and legs which were not treated.

• I was not seen by a doctor until about two hours later, after I was admitted.

• They x rayed my head and then put me to bed.

• At no point did they ask me if I had any medical complaints or whether I was taking any medication. As it happens I take over ten different meds a day, plus insulin shots, as I have a range of chronic medical conditions including diabetes, coronary heart disease, hypertension, enlarged prostate, and glaucoma.

• They put me on a glucose drip which played havoc with my blood sugar levels, and fed me intravenous antibiotics without checking if I had any allergies, or even knowing the cause of my fever for which the antibiotics were administered.

• The next morning I was given a breakfast. After eating most of it, I was told I wasn't supposed to eat anything as I was under "observation".

• I complained that my neck was still very painful so the doctor ordered an an x-ray of the neck. Why this wasn't done when I was admitted was beyond me.

• At the x-ray room I had to stand and hold my head hard against the x-ray plate. This was extremely painful. The x-ray technician left the room to start the machine when his mobile phone rang. He stayed outside answering a personal call for about 3 minutes, while I was standing in agony against the x-ray plate.

• Later I was told I had a neck sprain and a hair line fracture. I asked the doctor If I should be wearing a neck collar. He said "that's a good idea" and ordered one for me.

• I was on the fifth floor. The sixth floor has the ICU. They are building 3 additional floors. The construction noise from 7 in the morning to late at night is unbearable, and was the main reason I opted for early discharge.

• I could go on and on... but the final indignity is that it has transpired that the antibiotics they gave me were so powerful, they have upset the balance of microbes in my gut and I have been ill for the past 10 days with acute diarrhoea and stomach cramps. I went to the hospital 2 days ago, and the doctor agreed that the antibiotics had a caused this problem, (after I pointed out the side effects in the information sheet), and she told me to stop taking them! I am still not better.

I was going to keep quiet about of all of this, but as some people seem to think that hospitals - in particular PIH is a better bet than a good clinic, I advise you to think again.

This why I grieve the closure of Dr Oliver's clinic.

So in your home country you went to a hospital every time you felt ill or had a chronic medical complaint did you?

I agree that if there are no good clinics then you have no choice but to go to a hospital.

But Dr Oliver did run a good clinic and was a good GP. If it was serious enough he would refer you to a hospital, or, more likely would send you for blood tests etc, just like they do at G.P.'s surgeries back home. And he wouldn't fill you with a whole range of meds in the hope that one of them might cure you. And you could talk to to him about your problem and he would discuss and explain your condition in a "farang' way, as opposed to most Thai doctors, who are used to behaving as though "they know best" and that you know nothing about medicine.

If you go to BPH, the likelihood is that they will do every medical test known to mankind and you will end up with a pretty steep bill, because that place is just there to make money.

I was recently admitted to PIH following my road accident. I was suffering from concussion, lacerations and head wounds, and unknown internal injuries. It was around 10 p.m.

• They refused to go near me until someone paid a deposit of 10, 000 Baht. My wife was still at the scene of the accident, so she had to call her sister to go over and pay the money for me.

• They cleaned and stitched my head wounds but made no attempt to examine me for any other injuries - internal or otherwise. If they did they would have found a nasty gash on my arms and legs which were not treated.

• I was not seen by a doctor until about two hours later, after I was admitted.

• They x rayed my head and then put me to bed.

• At no point did they ask me if I had any medical complaints or whether I was taking any medication. As it happens I take over ten different meds a day, plus insulin shots, as I have a range of chronic medical conditions including diabetes, coronary heart disease, hypertension, enlarged prostate, and glaucoma.

• They put me on a glucose drip which played havoc with my blood sugar levels, and fed me intravenous antibiotics without checking if I had any allergies, or even knowing the cause of my fever for which the antibiotics were administered.

• The next morning I was given a breakfast. After eating most of it, I was told I wasn't supposed to eat anything as I was under "observation".

• I complained that my neck was still very painful so the doctor ordered an an x-ray of the neck. Why this wasn't done when I was admitted was beyond me.

• At the x-ray room I had to stand and hold my head hard against the x-ray plate. This was extremely painful. The x-ray technician left the room to start the machine when his mobile phone rang. He stayed outside answering a personal call for about 3 minutes, while I was standing in agony against the x-ray plate.

• Later I was told I had a neck sprain and a hair line fracture. I asked the doctor If I should be wearing a neck collar. He said "that's a good idea" and ordered one for me.

• I was on the fifth floor. The sixth floor has the ICU. They are building 3 additional floors. The construction noise from 7 in the morning to late at night is unbearable, and was the main reason I opted for early discharge.

• I could go on and on... but the final indignity is that it has transpired that the antibiotics they gave me were so powerful, they have upset the balance of microbes in my gut and I have been ill for the past 10 days with acute diarrhoea and stomach cramps. I went to the hospital 2 days ago, and the doctor agreed that the antibiotics had a caused this problem, (after I pointed out the side effects in the information sheet), and she told me to stop taking them! I am still not better.

I was going to keep quiet about of all of this, but as some people seem to think that hospitals - in particular PIH is a better bet than a good clinic, I advise you to think again.

This why I grieve the closure of Dr Oliver's clinic.

Mobi, I am so sorry to hear of your problems and hope you are feeling much better now. But your PIH experience is a horror story. What is needed here in Pattaya is a group of expat volunteers who have nursing or medical training or who could be trained up, to be available to quickly assist an expat in hospital by taking patient's history, making sure patient is properly examined, and so on. But then there are the legal and liability ramifications. What to do?

"BTW Dr. Belen is a very good and knowledgeable nurse not a Doctor."

"Dr Belen is a Philippine Dr. she serves the ex pat community and tourists, she provides a good and reasonably priced service"

http://wikimapia.org/6610732/Dr_Belens

From his posting history, I think Rimmer is not one for BS. But why then this about the doctor being a nurse...?

I am going to the bank (BBL) tomorrow anyway, and I always park in the empty lot next to Dr Belen's Clinic. I shall go in and investigate, and report back. Since I feel a bit guilty recommending something that might not be the real thing. But then again, why would the good doctor Iain tell me about it? Surely he would not recommend a nurse? (Nothing wrong with nurses, but if we are looking for doctors...)

Rimmer, it is about time you come clean and tell us the story, if not, you stand to lose a lot of credibility.

I went to see Dr Mongkol today, and would agree with everything Rimmer has said.

He's a good guy, speaks English almost like a native, and was very caring and honest with his diagnosis.

He's the only Doctor I've been to who insisted in me taking my first round of meds in front of him to make sure I get off to a good start :o

Mobi, absolutely fabulous to hear that you have found your doctor at last. So perhaps I shall just not care about any further investigations to help you. Sometimes I get the sneaking feeling that you are a very arrogant and thankless person... But that is probably just me, thus my nickname.

Mobi, absolutely fabulous to hear that you have found your doctor at last. So perhaps I shall just not care about any further investigations to help you. Sometimes I get the sneaking feeling that you are a very arrogant and thankless person... But that is probably just me, thus my nickname.

Now that's not very nice is it?

Just what on earth did I do to deserve that little diatribe? :o

Rimmer, it is about time you come clean and tell us the story, if not, you stand to lose a lot of credibility.

Here you go again - Having a go at people of whom you have absolutely no knowledge :D

And there I was thinking that there is no way an innocuous little thread about clinics and GP's and hospitals, and the disappearance of Dr Oliver could turn into a slanging match.

Everyone has posted with good grace, and given only kind and helpful comments, except for one, who started the unpleasantness with:

You are obviously lacking something in your life:

Meditation is the answer

Peace be with you my poor friend, and a thousand 'thankyous' for all your kind and helpful advice. :D