Finding Work

My wife is finding it hard to find work in Sheffield.

She is keen in working with children (nursery).

There are lots of jobs in sheffield requiring people for these vacancies, but you are required to have a qualification.

Maybe im posting this on the wrong site, but if theres anyone out there, with a Thai or even a wife involved in this sort of work, would be gratefull to here from you, and tell me what qualification she needs to be involved in this sort of work.

I have looked on the college site but theres, level 1, 2, 3 all diferent types of child care qualifications.

Basically, she just wants to work with children, playing with them, taking care of them etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks everyone

Scotty and Kannika....

Hi Scotty, I'm not 100% but 99% if your wife wants to work with or around children then she should have got a police record check done in TL before she left and brought it with her to the UK. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong! When my wife arrives(soon i hope!) we are going to just get her a job cleaning or shop work to gain her experience of working in UK before hopefully going on to bigger things, she is a teacher in TL atm..good luck !

There are lots of jobs in sheffield requiring people for these vacancies, but you are required to have a qualification.

Maybe im posting this on the wrong site, but if theres anyone out there, with a Thai or even a wife involved in this sort of work, would be gratefull to here from you, and tell me what qualification she needs to be involved in this sort of work.

I have looked on the college site but theres, level 1, 2, 3 all diferent types of child care qualifications.

Basically, she just wants to work with children, playing with them, taking care of them etc.

Many thanks everyone

Scotty and Kannika....

Get her pregnant, et voila, baby to play with 24/7! :o

Many thanks everyone

Scotty and Kannika....

Baby costs money.

Where looking to make money :D

Hi Scotty

My wife had a similar problem when we first came to UK, but managed to land on her feet slightly as she ended up babysitting privatly for someone famous, it seems now that the reference goes further than any qualification.

Privatly is def the way to go though as money is very similar if not better than working in a nursey, the Mrs started by advertising in Tesco etc.

To keep her busy before she got started she did shop work and the local Thia restaurant.

Good luck

It might be easier to find a private family than to work for children's homes or agencies as you'll be required to have a CRB check and a bit of experience (one year minimum normally). You will probably be asked for details of at least two referees that covers at least two or three years (five in some cases). All of these will be difficult to provide if you haven't been in the UK for that long.

You do not need any qualifications to work in a Nursery Scotty, although the Nursery itself may require a certain standard.

When Ofsted do an Audit they may suggest or enforce a certain criteria/percentage of qualified people per number of Children, but if others are suitably qualified then this will suit their requirements. If in certain cases, there is a shortfall of the necessary qualifications, then they will recommend a period of grace for the requisite number of staff to become qualified.

Up until last year, my wife worked in a Nursery with no qualifications, but soon went on to pass Level 2 Child Care ( not sure of exact title ) and will soon start Level 3, substantial grants available, check them out at your local college.

You will need a Police Record Check, but they may well allow her to work whilst this is being organised, but no guarantee though.

Moss

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We are also in Sheffield and have had a similar problem. My wife has registerred with a couple of agencies in the area but not had anything back.

She' done a bit of work for an Asian supermarket and some local cleaning work, advertising in the local shop and word of mouth through friends, but is looking for something more substantial.

She's just got back from a few weeks seeing the family and so we are starting to look again. We just plan to do it the old fashioned way of hitting lots of application forms and putting a bit of work into it and playing the numbers game until it comes off.

Even if initially we don't get exactly what she is looking for, maybe we can at least get something as a start to help build her a CV.

Sheffield yes???

My wife is still finding it abit hard too, sent some applications off, she has been to a few interviews but no joy.

She has decided she wants to do a course, im happy with that, so is she.

At the moment she is doing a literacy and numeracy course, it helps her out, and she enjoys it, and if the enemy is happy, im happy :o

Good luck

Where abouts in sheffield you live??

We live south Sheffield - near Jct 31 M1. Where abouts are you?

There is quite a large Thai community around all parts of Sheffield, Chesterfield and Worksop.

I don't know how long your wife has been here and if she knows anyone in the area. My wife has been here about 18 months and is pretty well settled with a few friends - Thai and English.

Again, you might know this already but there are a couple of Thai shops where you can get pretty much anything Thai food wise - a big priority for my wife :o

Thai Panna on London Road is one of these run by a Thai lady and also tends to be a place where you'll bump into a few of the local Thai community.

Yes Thai panna, we know it.

We live around 15 mins away, where there every saturday morning before we go and get mow in the afternoon :D well you have to get mow watching the blades :o

Junction 31? near meadowhall right??

Yes know the thai lady who works at thai panna, pear her name right? top lass she is.

Scotty

No Junction 31 is Anston and Aston etc. We live in a small village about 5 minutes away from there takes about 25 minutes to get into centre - London Rd etc.

Was in Thai Panna this Sat morning. I know the woman who runs the shop but thought she had a different name - maybe that is just a Thai nickname. Then went for cheap lunchtime special at Baan Thai just down the road before getting stuck in football traffic on Bramall Lane.

You're right I'd definitely have to get drunk to go and see the Blades play :o .

If you're at Crystal Peaks you are only about 10 minutes away from us. We are in Harthill if you know it - just through Killamarsh.

I'm down near Bramall Lane pretty much every week doin other stuff but can't ever bring myself to go into the ground - as a Leeds fan I'm used to a better style of football :o

we will be down there at bramall lane again on sat :o
If you're at Crystal Peaks you are only about 10 minutes away from us. We are in Harthill if you know it - just through Killamarsh.

OK, well now you can get a room :D

Moss

we will be down there at bramall lane again on sat :o

OK, well now you can get a room :D

Moss

.......just because you want to join in :D

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Many thanks everyone

Scotty and Kannika....

Charly Brown he's a clown,.....that Charley Brown, ............ now take the rubber nose off and try to be serious for a moment please....they might be being sensible and trying to get some cash together before having children of their own.

I know its unusual these days but it makes sense to me.

To the O/P I dont mean to be rude but what is regarded as normal practice when raising kids in thailand is far removed from what will be expected from the politically correct care and education service providers here in the uk, there are plenty of library books available on the subject as well as full and p/t courses at colleges near you I suspect.

A good understanding of the english ( if you are not in wales or scotland!) language will be very a important consideration to a prospective employer so some classes might be necessary to improve her chances of empoyment.

best of luck

roy gsd