Birth Registration At Uk Embassy

Dont Panic

From the British Embassy website 08/06/2008

Consular Birth Registration

The fee for registration plus one certified copy of the entry is Baht 9,815. Additional copies of the entry can be obtained at a cost of Baht 3,835 per certificate.

Child’s Passport Application

You may wish to apply for a first passport for your child at the same time as you apply to register their birth. Please note that children can no longer be added to the passport of the parent; they must hold separate passports. The fee for a child’s passport (valid for five years) is Baht 4,940.

Original documents are required plus one photocopy of each supporting document. All originals will be returned at the time of application. We require certified translations (ie official translations from a licensed translator) of any document(s) not in English.

I will be going to the embassy this week to register the birth and get a passport for my little boy. If there are any differences to the above I will let you all know.

I will be going to the embassy this week to register the birth and get a passport for my little boy. If there are any differences to the above I will let you all know.[/color]Why register the birth at the Embassy ? Save 10,000 Baht and just go for the passport. There is no legal requirement to register the birth. I've just got my daughters British passport no problem.

Ok, went to the embassy today to register the birth and apply for first passport. The prices on he website are correct. Total price 14,855 baht (registering birth or death 5,980. certified copy of entry 3,835. passport 4,940. postage thailand 100). Although, when I picked up the application forms needed from the embassy they had old prices on the attached paper showing a total of nearly 20,000 baht. This price is wrong, good to see the embassy keeping their paper work up to date to save any confusion, NOT!

Also needed, certified translation of thai birth cert and marriage cert. 300 baht per page at Professional Translation, 57/9 Wireless Road, turn right out of embassy just over the sky train bridge on the left. They will also do the photo copies, you need to copy everything appart from the application forms (original certs, translations, passports).

Something I did not realise until I was in Bangkok, the passport application and one of the photos has to be counter signed by someone who has known you for over two years. Luckily I had a friend who was in Bangkok at the same time as me or I would not have been able to complete the application.

Don't need to register the birth to get passport but I done both thinking it would be better to have an english birth cert. registered in the UK for when and if ever needed in the future, also to give him a national insurance number.

.... registered in the UK for when and if ever needed in the future, also to give him a national insurance number.[/color][/font]

NI numbers are no longer automatically issued. When an individual enters the UK (un)employment market for the first time, s/he has to actually apply for one.

Scouse.

If your child was born outside of the UK and you want to have his/her birth registered, this can only be performed at the British embassy in the country in which s/he was born. It cannot be undertaken when in the UK.

It is a common misconception that a birth certificate is evidence, by and of itself, of nationality: it isn't. It simply demonstrates where/when the holder was born and his/her lineage. The key document is the British passport. It is that that establishes beyond reasonable doubt the holder's nationality, and it is that which can be used to support a NI number application should the need arise in years to come. A birth certificate is redundant as evidence of entitlement to work in the UK.

Children born abroad will, generally speaking, be otherwise issued with a local birth certificate and this serves the same purpose as a British birth certificate issued by an embassy abroad. Other than having a birth certificate in English and the record being deposited with the General Register Office, I can't see any tangible benefit of paying nigh on £150.00 for the privilege.

Scouse.

Do you think they actually take the certified copy of the Thai birth certificate and just chuck it in the bin ? Of course not. It must be scanned into nigh on the same system as the General Register and then filed away somewhere making the Bt10,000 for an English translation even more of a joke.