Baby In Canada Born To Canadian Mom, Wishing To Return To Thailand

wkrolph

Hello,

I can't seem to find much information related to a woman being married to a thai man and having the baby in her home country. If you can help shed some light it would be so very much appreciated. I have three questions :o

I am a Canadian citizen married to a Thai citizen and we are now 3 months pregnant. I will be returning to have the baby in Canada. Unfortunately the Canadian government has been so tight that we can't seem to get him a temporary resident visa to come with me. We are trying again but it doesn't really look great. If anyone knows, is it best to try and get a long term visa for him? Is he more likely to be granted one? We wish to reside in Thailand following the birth but I'm sure someday we will all want to go back to Canada to visit, or perhaps our child will go to school there. Help?

My second question and really the most important one right now is what happens when myself and the baby wish to return to Thailand if my husband is not with us on entering? Do I apply for a Thai birth certificate at the thai embassy in Canada before leaving? What about a thai passport for the baby?

Lastly, I have always previously stayed in Thailand on a visitors visa and continually extending and going to KL to get new ones but because things are getting more tight here what's the easiest way to stay if I'm not working? Because I have a baby that is 1/2 thai does it make a difference?

Thanks so much

• 3 weeks later...

About the babies visa/passport situation;

If dad cannot be present in canada once baby is born then return to thailand on a non immigrant o visa (which you will be able to get from any thai embassy/consul by producing your marriage certificate & stating that you plan to live in thailand with your thai husband, once you have that you will be able to receive extensions based on the marriage (see the ladies section & do a search, the topic has been covered extensively as many of us are married with thai men)

The baby will enter with his/her canadian passport & then once in country & reunited with dad, apply for the thai passport. Once baby has this just either, exit country on canadian passport (like at a border) & reenter on the thai passport therefore making him/her a thai person exempt from visa requiurements or go to one of the local immigration offices who may be able to just stamp out the visa on arrival baby has in canadian passport & stamp in the thai passport. Either way, getting the thai passport for baby will involve both of you either applying in canada or thailand, so if dad can't be there just apply as soon as baby is born for the canadian passport & get the thai one once back in thailand.

Oh & Congratualtions.

My friends had their baby in Australia and when they came back here could not get a Thai passport for their baby. They were told he had to be registered as a Thai citizen through the Thai Embassy in Oz first. After they did that they were able to get it easily.

You need to register the birth of your child at the Thai embassy in Montreal. They will then be able to issue a passport for your baby. Have your husband check on the documentation required with the foreign ministry here before you leave. He can also find out the name of the person at the embassy that you should contact and let them know of your situation so they are expecting you. You can actually look yourself on the foreign ministry's Web site: it lists all the embassies abroad and officers manning (peopling) them.

You and your husband can also change your status to O visa with multiple reentries by presenting your marriage certificate and other documentation. You can do this right now. It's very straight forward. I'd advise doing this before you leave Thailand to save yourself the bother when you're abroad. You'll have enough to contend with as a single parent with a new baby.

Congratulations and hope it all goes well.

It's a shame you must go back to Canada for the birth. There's very good birthing facilities and support in Thailand's larger cities. Have you checked in with BAMBI?

Then again, of course, you may have completely different reasons for opting to go back home.

Good luck.