george

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

:D :D :D :D :D :D B)

Hey you lot -- anyone looked at the calendar today?

Because: it's the day Immigration introduces the 1-year-visa lottery too. And I heard about visa-run coupon booklets, where you get the 11th visa run for free.

I'm not sure about this one, but rumour has it that the smoking ban will be lifted in certain selected go-go's :o

Anywhere else in the world the zip code identifies the area.

In theory if you just write the number and the name of the road or street and the zip code the letter (or whatever is being sent) will reach it's intended destination. No need to show Boston, New York, Chicago, Paddington, etc.

Surely they will have to replace zip codes by postcodes first. Portable postcodes would work in the UK but for the fact that the first part identifies the region, which can be nearly as large as an amphoe. Many large offices in the UK already have their own postcode.

As to the point about multiple postcodes in a single building, note that if you move from one building to another you cannot take your phone number plus extension number with you. I'm sure the same would apply to portable postcodes.

The telephone number portability thing, mentioned as background in the article, seems great and has already been doing elsewhere outside of Thailand.

But the zip code thing seems stupid, and I don't get it. Companies can save money by not having to re-print stationery when they move???? How can they do that? Some business moves to a new location...and they keep using their old stationery with their old street address???? How does that help anything??? Customers will be showing up at their closed Silom address, when in fact they've moved to Sukhumvit. But the company won't have to change its zip code????? Of course any business moving would need to update their info with their NEW STREET ADDRESS.

SILLY!!!

But the zip code thing seems stupid, and I don't get it. Companies can save money by not having to re-print stationery when they move???? How can they do that? Some business moves to a new location...and they keep using their old stationery with their old street address???? How does that help anything??? Customers will be showing up at their closed Silom address, when in fact they've moved to Sukhumvit. But the company won't have to change its zip code????? Of course any business moving would need to update their info with their NEW STREET ADDRESS.

SILLY!!!

Name plus postcode works for colleges in the UK. House number plus postcode also works in the UK, but it's a bit tough on the postman making the delivery. The letters for his walk are not split up by postcode, so he has to work out which street addresses with the postcode are on.

For a big business, taking the postcode with them would be a permanent method of redirecting mail. In theory, mail addressed to the Silom office would automatically be directed to the post office for the appropriate part of Sukhumvit Road, rather than being routed via say the Patpong post office.

However, this needs postcodes, not zip codes.

Edited by Richard W

So how many digits will the zip code have in the future if every citizen has one? It'slike if the social security number in the States becomes the modern zip code. Together with the ban on military fashion two wonderful highlights in LOS. Just unbelievable.......

Why stop with postcodes? Why not have portable addresses as well?

Well, that would make sense if you just moved from one end of the soi to another. Indeed, if it is possible to rationalise the house numbers on a soi, it already ought to be possible to do that. (The same goes for house number in a village.)

So if the zipcode doesn't any longer have anything to do with a specific "geographical" area, what IS IT for? If it doesn't say anything about the location a parcel is going, why put it on the package? The persons name is already on the package, so I guess the zipcode will just "give honour to the name", just make the name look more "high-so"!

Wow! :o ...it just doesn't make sense...

So if the zipcode doesn't any longer have anything to do with a specific "geographical" area, what IS IT for? If it doesn't say anything about the location a parcel is going, why put it on the package? The persons name is already on the package, so I guess the zipcode will just "give honour to the name", just make the name look more "high-so"!

To use a person's name, all mail would have to be addressed to someone at their registered residence.

Apart from that, think of it as a virtual postcode, just like a virtual memory address.

I think Thailand Post's new slogan, "Go Postal" says it all. After all, that's what they call it in the US when a mailman goes mad and kills his co-workers, which I could see happening after he has trudged a package up four flights of stairs in a BKK building only to find that the resident has moved to Chon Buri.

What, are the three stooges running the postal service here. Mobile phones are MOBILE, but you can't carry an address with you.

Fortunately, this inane notion faces an uphill battle in Parliament where I hope sane minds will prevail.

I even heard from a very reliable source that they would even probably open a stock exchange especially for the zip codes, so if you currently have a lucky zip code (ie: 7777), you will be able to sell it on the market to someone looking for luck..!

"A zip code is a badge of honor, an emblem symbolizing

a citizen's place in the demographic, rather than geographic, landscape."

This is warped for sure. Badge of Honor???? HUH!

It' is a postal district or region nothing more.

This must be the same guy who decided

"street address #s will be given out in the order

that they come into the Tessaban office',

not based on 'a logical number of

zoned of plots along a streets length'.

I lived in 11/15 right next to 11/22 which was next to 11/34

11/14 was 2 km away and I never found 11/16 in two years.

Postmen must memorize their local routes.

Delivery guys are on their own, no telephone = no delivery.

Now they are expected to peruse a database for EVERY parcel or letter

to match the Postal Patron with NEW postal location for their traveling Zipcode...

Besides it being SLOW, SLOW, SLOW, it would also mean

a computer network of gigantic size working perfectly 24/7

and a staff who knows it down cold. Even if ALL letters

were stamped with a personal barcode this still would be a horror.

I hope the guy that thought AND ANOUNCED this up ain't so senior

that someone can tell him; ain't working, forget it.