Old T.v.programmes.

oldgit

Right everybody.

Delve back into the old memory banks and try to remember the first programmes/series you saw on T.V. I'll start off with SPACE PATROL(1962).One of the first kids puppet series to deal with space travel.Captain Larry Dart and his crew.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Mum would only let me watch little bits of this as she thought it was too scarey for a 6 y.o. ! :o

qtitle.jpg

Starred Reginald Tate as Professor Bernard Quatermass

experiment.jpgThe foundation of British sci-fi TV, the BBC spent its entire adult drama budget on commissioning a script from Nigel Kneale, winner of the 1950 Somerset Maugham Prize for Literature. Their return was The Quatermass Experiment, (1953) an eerie and sessational story about a professorial scientist of that surname whose experimental spaceship returns to earth with its sole surviving occupant contaminated by an alien virus which subsequently transmuted him into a 100-foot vegetable. He is pursued eventually to Westminster Abbey where it takes its final refuge.

q2.jpgqshell.jpgQuatermass II (1955) was a creepy alien invasion story set around a sinsister chemical plant in a remote part of the country. The Professor accidentally discovers an alien plan to take over the world by infiltrating human minds. John Robinson (left) was Professor Quatermass in this second serial. Hugh Griffiths, John Stone and Rupert Davies also appeared.

I think it was the

100 Foot vegetable that was the terrifying thing for a kid... :D

Edited by LeungKen

My Mum would only let me watch little bits of this as she thought it was too scarey for a 6 y.o. ! :o

qtitle.jpg

Starred Reginald Tate as Professor Bernard Quatermass

experiment.jpgThe foundation of British sci-fi TV, the BBC spent its entire adult drama budget on commissioning a script from Nigel Kneale, winner of the 1950 Somerset Maugham Prize for Literature. Their return was The Quatermass Experiment, (1953) an eerie and sessational story about a professorial scientist of that surname whose experimental spaceship returns to earth with its sole surviving occupant contaminated by an alien virus which subsequently transmuted him into a 100-foot vegetable. He is pursued eventually to Westminster Abbey where it takes its final refuge.

q2.jpgqshell.jpgQuatermass II (1955) was a creepy alien invasion story set around a sinsister chemical plant in a remote part of the country. The Professor accidentally discovers an alien plan to take over the world by infiltrating human minds. John Robinson (left) was Professor Quatermass in this second serial. Hugh Griffiths, John Stone and Rupert Davies also appeared.

I think it was the

100 Foot vegetable that was the terrifying thing for a kid... :D

Wasn't there a later series called Quatermass and the Pit where the creatures look like giant grasshoppers? :D

Wasn't there a later series called Quatermass and the Pit where the creatures look like giant grasshoppers? :o

A six part series in the winter of 58/59 starring Andre Morrell. We were allowed to stay up and watch it - it was on Friday nights at about 8:30, I remember watching most of it from behind the settee.

Two more drama series from those far off times - anyone remember 'The Riddle of the Red Wolf' and 'The Silver Sword'?

Doctor Who (with William Hartnell) what else?

Dixon of Dock Green

Z Cars, got an old one on video with Judi Dench (now a Dame and member of parliament) as a teenage tearaway.

Emergency Ward 10

Corrie!!!

The list goes on....

How about Game Shows?

Take Your Pick ("take the money", "no! open the box")

Or the truly awful "Opportunity Knocks" with Hughie Green, remember the guy who painted himself silver and did a 'muscle dance', he won for several weeks!!!

These things look really crass these days, seeing them on a modern TV just doesn't seem the same, bring out the 405 line 19" B&W telly!

Right everybody.

Delve back into the old memory banks and try to remember the first programmes/series you saw on T.V. I'll start off with SPACE PATROL(1962).One of the first kids puppet series to deal with space travel.Captain Larry Dart and his crew.

The first thing I ever saw on the small screen (and it was MUCH smaller than 19") was the Coronation of Queen Liz and the Conquering of Everest, all on one Sunday afternoon. 1953.

The first series I recall was (inc episode 1....!) the longest running soap opera in the world, 'Coronation Street' with Violet Carson as the handbag-wielding harridan Ena Sharples. 1958? (Later, Margaret Thatcher modelled herself on this character and got elected by adding an Oxbridge accent). Ken Roach (?) was the clean living young husband. I think he was still a member of the cast as recently as 10 years ago.

In the early/mid 70's I had a chum who was a trainee cameraman at BBC Shepherds Bush. He said that Tom Baker (then 'Dr Who') was the nicest man in television and Raymond Baxter ('Tomorrow's World') the nastiest.

Hang on a minute, why is it only Brits answering these questions????!!!!!!

My TV watching actually began in 1956 when I was on my Big OE, in London.

Burns and Allen

Gracie Allen was crucifying at the time, I nearly died laughing at every episode.

Yeah, Dixon of Dock Green was a fave.

For a young fella, as I was then........

The 6 - 5 Special.. every Sat nite, religion that show.... where I first saw Bill Haley and Comets live.

Anyone remember, "O. Henry"? Loved those tales.

And of course, Coro St, did not like it then, still neva watch it.

Panorama, where I saw the April Fools prank....1956... The Swiss Spaghetti Harvest with Richard Dimbleby.

I first saw television in 1955, but just demo stuff.

Edited by Zpete

Right everybody.

The first thing I ever saw on the small screen (and it was MUCH smaller than 19") was the Coronation of Queen Liz and the Conquering of Everest, all on one Sunday afternoon. 1953.

The first series I recall was (inc episode 1....!) the longest running soap opera in the world, 'Coronation Street' with Violet Carson as the handbag-wielding harridan Ena Sharples. 1958? (Later, Margaret Thatcher modelled herself on this character and got elected by adding an Oxbridge accent). Ken Roach (?) was the clean living young husband. I think he was still a member of the cast as recently as 10 years ago.

In the early/mid 70's I had a chum who was a trainee cameraman at BBC Shepherds Bush. He said that Tom Baker (then 'Dr Who') was the nicest man in television and Raymond Baxter ('Tomorrow's World') the nastiest.

The actor in question (William Roach) played Ken Barlow and is still in the progamme.

OI, I am NOT a Brit, show ya iggerance....... grrrrrrrr

Old, but Proud KIWI here.

Well in all reality, it was only Britain and US that actually had much of a telly service those days.

I always watched Basil Brush, yeaaaaah

Edited by Zpete

The Lone Ranger, Hi OH Silver, WOW, what a great show. Tonto was the best side kick for the Ranger. :o:D:D:D:D

Sidekicks!

Fascinating!

Is this worth a new thread??

Tonto WAS brilliant. Now, we all know the name of the Lone Ranger's horse. But what was the name of Tonto's horse? 10 points for that!!

(Such a shame that soon after the last espisode, the Lone Ranger found out what "Kimma savvy" really meant, and shot Tonto!).

OK, what was the name of the sidekick of the Range Rider? Clue: he always wore black, even tho he was one of the good guys.

James Bond (as played by Roger Moore) previously played Ivanhoe in a long running UK kids series. What was the name of HIS sidekick and what did that actor go on to do?

Who were the comic sidekicks of Tony Hancock and (20 points for this next one) Freddy Frinton? And what did THEY go on to do??

Sorry ZPete! Your English is so good and your posts comprise such common sense I DID mistake you for a Brit.

And, PS, I'm very sorry for what we did to your dairy and lamb industry by joining the wretched Common Market!

Allow me to inject an Irishman's perspective. We got our first tv in the late 60's and my favourite show was 'Wanderly wagon'. Now I'd be surprised if anyone is aware of this one. Although we do have a few Irish on the forum...

In Australia it was mostly cop shows with my Dad and brother:

Homicide

Division 4

Matlock

Streets of San Francisco

After school was Gilligans Island

Sunday nights was Disneyland

what about the Sullivans LoL! eeeee the sullivans lol!

Edited by enyaw