1 Year License Expiring - Applying For 5 Years

Hi all,

just discovered today that my one year license expires tomorrow (car and motorbike), so I would appreciate some advice please.

Firstly I have heard from 2 different sources that;

a.- you have to apply on the exact expiry date, or will have to go through the tests etc again, and

b.- you cannot apply on the exact expiry date as you will be refused.

I would be grateful if anyone could clear this up (I thought they expired in June!).

Also I am aware that the license procedure has changed, I believe that I do not need to take photos with me as they will be taken at the licensing centre (Pattaya), but do I still need a residency certificate and medical?

As you may appreciate this is quite urgent as I need to know whether to go tomorrow or not, and would be indebted for several beers if someone could clarify the procedure.

Many thanks,

Sweetchariot...........swing low.

Pathum Thani wanted exactly the same stuff as for the initial application including the embassy letter (grrrr) but obviously not the IDP.

DO NOT go before your licence expires or you'll only get another 12 month one, you need to go after the expiry date.

Edited by Crossy

Thanks Crossy,

I can get the residency certificate from local immigration, I was more worried about if I should go tomorrow, but seems not.

Thanks again,

SC

I renewed mine, 1 week after it expired, without any problem in less than 20 minutes (Bangkok).

Hi, you can apply for the 5 year license any time up to a year after your old one expires.

If you forget or simply fail to get a new one within the year then you are back to square one and have to get a new one year license.

in Ubon if one has 1yr visa even been here who know how long one get 1yr driving license, IF one has permanent recidency then 5yr lice can be applied and given,, i think these are new regulations, and yes no picture required any more as license is digitally made.

You need a medical certificate plus letter of residency at the Pattaya Centre, you can apply one day after expiry of the old licence and stipulate you want five year licence. Photos no longer needed as they issue the new plastic card type and take a digital phto there. And dont forget copies of all relevant passport pages. I went a couple of months ago at 3pm and we were out in 20 mins.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I think I will get all the paperwork together anyway, but at least the urgency to get there no longer is a worry.

MarcoH - you get a 1 year license when you first apply, at the end of the year you can then apply for the 5 year, you don't need PR.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I think I will get all the paperwork together anyway, but at least the urgency to get there no longer is a worry.

MarcoH - you get a 1 year license when you first apply, at the end of the year you can then apply for the 5 year, you don't need PR.

That's correct, the 1 year to 5 Year license requires a Non O Visa, tourist Visa and VOA holders will be issued with another 1 Year license.

Edited by Maigo6

That's correct, the 1 year to 5 Year license requires a Non O Visa, tourist Visa and VOA holders will be issued with another 1 Year license.

Hi guys

Not in UBON,, if one holds NON-O Visa for 1yr, Law said now days that they will issue 1yr driving license,,, not anymore 5yr.

I been here since 1997 and got my 5yrs both, bike and car all the time, but now since NEW digital license was issued,,with 1yrs NON-O visa,they will issue ONLY 1yr license.

BUT i would love to argue with them here,, as here they are bit slow to react...but they really show new instructions what clearly states as i mentioned earlier.

:o

Be mindful that if your local immigration office is similar to Chiang Mai it may no longer be possible to get a residence certificate and they may direct you to your Embassy or Consulate for an expensive visit. This started in February and is an ongoing issue here.

Hi guys

Not in UBON,, if one holds NON-O Visa for 1yr, Law said now days that they will issue 1yr driving license,,, not anymore 5yr.

I been here since 1997 and got my 5yrs both, bike and car all the time, but now since NEW digital license was issued,,with 1yrs NON-O visa,they will issue ONLY 1yr license.

So when you go to renew your 5 year license, you will only get 1 year ?

I got my 5 Year license in October 2007, and yes it was photographs, not digital.

Lucky for me then I just scraped in the 5 year license! :o

Edited by Maigo6

Hi guys

So when you go to renew your 5 year license, you will only get 1 year ?

I got my 5 Year license in October 2007, and yes it was photographs, not digital.

Lucky for me then I just scraped in the 5 year license! :D

Correct,, i was demoted to 1yr license :o

Be mindful that if your local immigration office is similar to Chiang Mai it may no longer be possible to get a residence certificate and they may direct you to your Embassy or Consulate for an expensive visit. This started in February and is an ongoing issue here.

Just wrote a long reply, and then my internet cut when I tried to post.

Long story short, got my residency cert from Pattaya Immi on Friday, no problems. Going to get the license Tues or Weds, will report back what happens.

Swing low.......

Hi everyone.

Just got back from the license centre, so thought I would post an update as promised.

Got the 5 year license with no problems in Pattaya (car and motorbike). I am on a 1 year multi-entry non immigrant O, and there was no mention of PR.

Paperwork was exactly the same as when you apply for your first license as said before - medical, residency cert, and passport copies. They didn't want to see my UK license. I needed all these in duplicate as I was applying for 2 licenses, they will accept a copy of the medical certificate so you don't need to pay for 2, but you do need 2 residency certificates, luckily I had pre-empted all of this.

No photos needed as also previously stated. The cost is 100 baht extra per license for the new credit card style, so it was 605 and 355 for car and motorbike respectively.

There is no fast track for renewals in Pattaya anymore, you have to get in line with everyone else. The new process of photographing everyone seems to have slowed the process down somewhat, coupled with the fact there are only 2 stations now rather than 4. We were there for about 3 hours in total, but did renew my tax and change the registration of a motorbike whilst we were waiting for the license.

Just examining the licenses they are actually valid for 5 yrs and 4 1/2 months, as they are valid until my birthday in August 2013 - maybe if you go just after your birthday you would get 6 years??

MarcoH, not sure what happened in Ubon?? Maybe they have misinterpreted the rules, or did you go before your old one had expired?

Anyway thanks for all the advice, shan't have to worry about that one for a long time to come now :o

Edited for spelling

Edited by sweetchariot

Hi everyone.

Just got back from the license centre, so thought I would post an update as promised.

Got the 5 year license with no problems in Pattaya (car and motorbike). I am on a 1 year multi-entry non immigrant O, and there was no mention of PR.

Paperwork was exactly the same as when you apply for your first license as said before - medical, residency cert, and passport copies. They didn't want to see my UK license. I needed all these in duplicate as I was applying for 2 licenses, they will accept a copy of the medical certificate so you don't need to pay for 2, but you do need 2 residency certificates, luckily I had pre-empted all of this.

No photos needed as also previously stated. The cost is 100 baht extra per license for the new credit card style, so it was 605 and 355 for car and motorbike respectively.

There is no fast track for renewals in Pattaya anymore, you have to get in line with everyone else. The new process of photographing everyone seems to have slowed the process down somewhat, coupled with the fact there are only 2 stations now rather than 4. We were there for about 3 hours in total, but did renew my tax and change the registration of a motorbike whilst we were waiting for the license.

Just examining the licenses they are actually valid for 5 yrs and 4 1/2 months, as they are valid until my birthday in August 2013 - maybe if you go just after your birthday you would get 6 years??

MarcoH, not sure what happened in Ubon?? Maybe they have misinterpreted the rules, or did you go before your old one had expired?

Anyway thanks for all the advice, shan't have to worry about that one for a long time to come now :D

Edited for spelling

Thanx mate,, i will go back to our office and screeam.....

It's good to know that it's possible,, but one thing came t my mind is money,, as re-newal every year they will get more money as bike licence was 244thb here for 5yrs and 120thb...

But when i go back there will post they responce.... :o