When Thailand Get's Too Much

The Gentleman Scamp

In Thailand (to my knowledge - correct me if I'm wrong) there is no counselling for farangs, no therapy or psychiatrists who we can turn to when everything has gone tits up and no Samaritans Hotline.

It's not just farangs committing suicide in Thailand but also expats of my fellow citizens (Japanese). I hear and see the news of about 5 - 6 suicides (of my fellow citizen) every year in Thailand and just last month, an acquaintance of my father and wife just committed suicide and my father was the first to call the Japanese embassy. I didn't know this man but it is painful enough for me learning a fellow citizen about my age taking his own life far away from home after his business/career here and marriage failed him. His separated Thai wife didn't even bother to come identify the body at the police hospital. His case was nowhere to be seen in any local Jap/Eng/Thai medias as far as I know.

Perhaps because we Japanese are the largest expat group in Thailand (some 32,500 Japanese registered as overseas resident here according to the Jap embassy, but believed to be well over 40 ~ 50,000 longstayers in Thailand), there is a free, suicide preventative hotline service available for Japanese expats (but maybe not 24 hrs service). They advertise it on almost all Japanese free papers distributed in Thailand.

Many guys who turn up in Thailand are running away from problems, they might not admit it but talk to them and you'll find recent divorce, business failure, redundancy etc are quite common.
Right. Many foreigners are suicide-prone in the first place when they landed in Thailand. Many, many people whose business failed and assumed big debt and lost everything in their home country (often including family) come to live in Thailand. And it's easy to imagine what they'd do when their life/work in LOS fails them. And it's not a problem unique to just farangs.
It leaves all the burdens for the person's faults and failings with those left behind. Better to face those faults and failings, with consideration of family and friends in mind, then to simply cash in and leave those things in someone else's lap. Sorry, but I can't look at it any other way.

Often they don't have a family or a true friend in a foreign land in the first place that they resort to suicide, I believe.

Edited by Nordlys

I'm just hanging around this thread waiting for the stool to tople.

You can get stuff at the pharmacy for that, you know. :D

:D

A great big helping of "pud puk boong fie daeng" usually does it for me... :o

There are many farang suicides in Thailand and it's true what we have all at some point heard, that Thailand can completely mess you up and destroy you if you are not careful.

But WHY are some people daft enough to come over on a one way ticket if they are not in very well paid work, and WHY do so many resort to alcoholism and suicide???

I know from experience that life here can be emotional at times, more so it seems than back in our homeland, and although I've had moments of hopeless bleak despair, I have never considered suicide, but there's no guarantee that I never would at some point in life - it could happen to anybody and it does, but why so much?

My own personal theory is that there is no help for them here when they hit the skids.

In Thailand (to my knowledge - correct me if I'm wrong) there is no counselling for farangs, no therapy or psychiatrists who we can turn to when everything has gone tits up and no Samaritans Hotline.

If I am right and there isn't any of the above, then isn't it about time there was?

It's a good idea to have "Farang's Help Hotline", or Psychiatrist help with no charge ( sponsor by TV for example :o ) or Radio Hotline ...etc. A very good idea. Understand how they feel as I have been living overseas too. Understand how the lonely means and the meaning of despair and hopeless , far away from home and from all friends or relations and the language.

There still have a light at the end of the beach ( or street ) somewhere. But first you who have problem should at least make a "Noise " . Dont be shame to speak out your problem. At least speak it out a bit would help or heals your problem a lot. would be apprecaite to be a volunteer if I can help. Life is precious .

There are many farang suicides in Thailand and it's true what we have all at some point heard, that Thailand can completely mess you up and destroy you if you are not careful.

But WHY are some people daft enough to come over on a one way ticket if they are not in very well paid work, and WHY do so many resort to alcoholism and suicide???

I know from experience that life here can be emotional at times, more so it seems than back in our homeland, and although I've had moments of hopeless bleak despair, I have never considered suicide, but there's no guarantee that I never would at some point in life - it could happen to anybody and it does, but why so much?

My own personal theory is that there is no help for them here when they hit the skids.

If I am right and there isn't any of the above, then isn't it about time there was?

And what will happen when the psychiatrist or counselor, transfixed by the crushdepth and sinuosity of the smoke rings of your mind, just says "<deleted> it" and commits suicide himself?

Then what about us? :o