Did You Ever Buy Your Girls Any Gold ?

muscleman

The very yellow colour of gold in Thailand is not to my taste, looks very cheap and tacky.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess, as I feel just the opposite. I really like the yellow gold, both in color and in the thai-style designs. It also seems to be a much better value than the alloys sold as "gold" elsewhere.

It's unbelievable seeing these outrageously priced 9K and 14K chains everywhere in the UK, the States, Japan, and elsewhere. Lousy designs, low gold content, and higher prices than the real thing. I don't get it.

Doc is right in that 22-23K gold is soft, but it is jewelery not a workhorse metal like aluminum or nickel. Even with the softness, it takes a bit of effort and force to make it bend.

The only non-baht gold that I've bought since last year has been 18K for a ring, where some strength is desirable (although the prongs holding the diamond are platinum for extra strength).

The very yellow colour of gold in Thailand is not to my taste, looks very cheap and tacky. The equivalent of a girl laiden with Argos jewellery in England - now that's class!

Thai gold is virtually pure, hence the yellowness ( it is also very soft )

And hence the high resale value.

I do not really like it because most of the time, the resale value is more important than the emotional value...

The very yellow colour of gold in Thailand is not to my taste, looks very cheap and tacky. The equivalent of a girl laiden with Argos jewellery in England - now that's class!

And hence the high resale value.

I do not really like it because most of the time, the resale value is more important than the emotional value...

A good point, no emotional value at all :o only money matters

I've bought a few small gold items in the past for different (non-serious) GFs. But nothing big or over the top. I'm not into wearing anything flashy myself (so no rings or watches etc).

As to whether it's money down the drain, if she sells the stuff then perhaps so. But if she keeps it then I'm happy with that, even if I don't mean anything to her in the future :o

I used to work with a man from haiti and he always came to work with 18 karat gold chains around his neck about five of them I have a simple one baht chain he use to tell me all the time you have fake gold because he thought the bright yellow was painted on

Yes it is very soft I have a small chain and i have had to replace the connecting peice of gold where your charm or buddha goes one many times know I'm thinking of getting a longer chain sooner or later

bought ring, chain. and diamond ring for my wife :o