Mr Happy Toilet

WAERTH

Sanitation campaigner to live in toilet

post-6192-1207453946_thumb.jpg

SIM Jae-Duck was born in a toilet and now he plans to live and die in one - a $US1.6 million ($1.8m) toilet-shaped house designed to promote his tireless campaign for cleaner loos worldwide.

Mr Sim will open what is billed as the world's one and only toilet house on November 11 to mark the launch of his World Toilet Association.

The 419 sq m concrete and glass structure is rising on the site of Mr Sim's former home in his native city of Suweon, 40km south of Seoul.

Before he moves in, anyone who is flush with funds can rent it for $US50,000 a day - with proceeds going to his campaign to provide poor countries with proper sanitary facilities.

Apart from two bedrooms, two guestrooms and other rooms, the two-storey house - of course - features three deluxe toilets.

Unlike the giant toilet in which they are located, they will not be see-through affairs.

"A showcase bathroom screened by a glass wall is located in its centre, while other toilets have elegant fittings or water conservation devices,'' Mr Sim said.

The showcase loo will feature a device producing a mist to make users feel secure. An electronic sensor will raise the lid automatically when people enter, and there will also be music for patrons.

The house, complete with a stream and small garden in front, is named Haewoojae, meaning "a place of sanctuary where one can solve one's worries''.

Mr Sim's birth in a public toilet was in line with traditional beliefs.

"It was intentional. My mother followed advice from my grandmother that people born in restrooms will enjoy long lives,'' said the 74-year-old.

Mr Sim's campaign began during his term as Suweon mayor from 1995 to 2002. His drive to transform toilets into "clean and beautiful resting places imbued with culture'' earned him the nickname "Mayor Toilet''.

Public restrooms in the city were jazzed up with paintings, fresh flowers or even small gardens.

His achievements prompted Mr Sim to launch the Korea Toilet Association in 1999, in time for South Korea's co-hosting with Japan of the football World Cup three years later.

Then he decided to take his clean toilets drive worldwide.

The proposed World Toilet Association might be seen to rival squeaky-clean Singapore, where the World Toilet Organisation is based, but Sim has said the work of the two bodies will not overlap.

Indeed, he hopes his toilet house will highlight the global need for better sanitation.

"My family has already agreed to preserve this house as a symbol of South Korea's new toilet culture after my death,'' he said.

"The house will be remembered as an example of saving mankind from diseases and protecting the environment.''

Mr Sim, a member of parliament, will host the World Toilet Association's inaugural meeting which he hopes will attract 300 representatives from 70 countries.

On the final day he plans to invite all participants to his house, which he said "envisions a new concept to place toilets in the centre of our life''.

Mr Sim said his campaign would focus on setting international standards for clean public toilets, and countries such as Mongolia, Indonesia, Turkey and Brazil were actively supporting it.

Epidemics caused by poor sanitation worldwide cost two million lives a year, he said.

Worldwide, 2.6 billion people live without toilets. Elsewhere, poorly designed flush toilets waste vast amounts of potential drinking water, he said.

A future project in his active mind is IT-based toilets, where people can check their health or surf the internet.

"Toilets were once regarded as stinking and dirty places. Not any more. They must be treated as the sanctuary that protects human health,'' Mr Sim said.

Peter

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

History

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper

Humour - of a kind

http://en.rian.ru/world/20080320/101786030.html

Fact

In the early 19th century, U.S. production of the closet was inferior to the English, and most closets were imported. By 1873, 43 British firms, including Twyford, Doulton, and Shanks were exporting high-quality closets to the U.S.

This should be in the news section, but as I cannot post there:

The Public Health Ministry Friday appointed Wan Yoobamrung "Mr Happy Toilet" to promote a campaign for clean public toilets.

"I dreamt when I was a child that if I ever worked here at the Public Health Ministry I would make all the toilets in the country flush toilets," Wan says.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30070134

I suggest that Thailand's favourite thug connects brain. Installing farang type flush toilets in Isan could lead to the locals putting their laundry in them, adding detergent and then flushing. Exit, stage left clothes. :o

I don't know why everyone is denigrating Wan. He is the first government official that I have heard who actually seems to be dedicated to doing a good job. Of course, since his family is in the toilet construction business, I would assume that there will be a major business increase as Wan gets new flush public toilets installed. Still, I'm impressed....

Look!!!...... Oh my gosh!!!! We're so lucky!!!! It's Mr. Toilet!!!!!! yahoo.gif

wan.jpg

The son of Interior Minister Chalerm Yubamrung and a Public Health Ministry Advisor, Wan Yubamrung, helps to demonstrate the right way to use the toilet for personal hygiene. *Live demonstration to follow*

Bangkok Post

Edited by sriracha john

wan.jpg

The son of Interior Minister Chalerm Yubamrung and a Public Health Ministry Advisor, Wan Yubamrung, helps to demonstrate the right way to use the toilet for personal hygiene. *Live demonstration to follow*

Bangkok Post

What a Turd! :o

wan.jpg

Bangkok Post

The whole family is full of sh!t. I'm sure they can all make exemplary demonstations for all to see.

wan.jpg

Bangkok Post

The whole family is full of sh!t. I'm sure they can all make exemplary demonstations for all to see.

and I bet you people thought I was just joshing when I added "live demonstration to follow"......

30070474-01.jpg

Wan Yoobamrung who is appointed as "Mr Happy Toilet" launches clean toilet campaign at Hualampong Train Station on Wednesday.

The Nation

===============================================

It wasn't for "all to see", Tony..... only the thousands that pour through Hualampong....

and...

although if he is "demonstrating the right way to use the toilet".... it might explain his foul odor and stains on his pants....

and I bet you people thought I was just joshing when I added "live demonstration to follow"......

30070474-01.jpg

Wan Yoobamrung who is appointed as "Mr Happy Toilet" launches clean toilet campaign at Hualampong Train Station on Wednesday.

The Nation

Where's the toilet paper ?

Ah well, he can have some of mine:

post-13995-1207749207_thumb.jpg

LaoPo :o

wan.jpg

Bangkok Post

30070474-01.jpg

The Nation

It wasn't for "all to see", Tony..... only the thousands that pour through Hualampong....

and...

although if he is "demonstrating the right way to use the toilet".... it might explain his foul odor and stains on his pants....

It makes more sense for the lad to have a 'bum gun' in his hand than a Browning,

As a youngster I was told, it doesn't matter what you do in this life, just strive to do it well.

It was an unfortunate piece of reporting, which has turned into some sort of joke. But on the serious side I would welcome flush toilets especially in places like service stations. It has got to the stage where I insist on knowing what type of WC a place has before I go there, and if it's a Thai toilet I stay home. Just me I guess.

He looks pretty comfortable in his new position of "The Csar of Shit".

"The Csar of Shit" with his sash sits on his throne...

1441-01.jpg

Wan Yoobamrung poses with presenters in his new role as “Mr Happy Toilet” at the campaign launch yesterday

Daily Xpress

Looks like he's taking his new Roll seriously.

One brave man. Says alot about someone's sense of self esteem and self confidence to take on a job where every one with a potty mouth will be tossing poop comments. Maybe just maybe he might turn in a good performance. Wouldn't that be a change? Someone who gives a sh*t, taking sh*t for solving a sh*t issue.

Why has the lady on the right attached a shrunken head to her kneecap? Must we all take two young ladies with us when we want to take a dump or is that practice reserved for those with influence?

In this persons case effluence.