Living On Us$1000 Per Month

Gary74

US$1,000/month - Poor lifestyle

US$2,000/month - Basic lifestyle

US$3,000/month - Reasonable lifestyle

US$4,000/month - Comfortable lifestyle

This is based on my opinion and the lifestyle that I prefer to live. I do not go cheap.

The less intelligent you are, the more you'll need to be "comfortable". Thais survive on 6-8,000 baht a month up here. They're not a different species and they're not all miserable, they're just smarter at using money. You may not come cheap Bill, but if you need 120,000 to be comfortable, I feel sorry for you. A large ego is a large, expensive and pitiful burden.

Blinky Bill is far from stupid and one of the most well-liked farangs in Chiang Mai. If he has a big ego, it is only because he has so much going for him. He is a man of many tilocs and many accomplishments and if you were foolish enough to insult him to his face, he just might crush you like a bug! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Ulys right, Blinky is a cool dude, and isn't above it all to roar off at big speeds on motorbikes and hang with the less well off farang brothers. Only a few wealthy farang have the balls to do that.

So you're wrong to attack poor Blinky like that.

But I think what the attacker is trying to do is strike back at the Struttin' Steves and Fashy Flloyds from Xanadu out there etc etc.

Ironically this is what typically give's the Blinky Bills of LOS a bad name.

I'd also say that it's about time the Frugal Freddys had more of a say on TV and this is exactly the thread to speak about it on.

I think Ulys right, Blinky is a cool dude, and isn't above it all to roar off at big speeds on motorbikes and hang with the less well off farang brothers. Only a few wealthy farang have the balls to do that.

So you're wrong to attack poor Blinky like that.

But I think what the attacker is trying to do is strike back at the Struttin' Steves and Fashy Flloyds from Xanadu out there etc etc.

Ironically this is what typically give's the Blinky Bills of LOS a bad name.

I'd also say that it's about time the Frugal Freddys had more of a say on TV and this is exactly the thread to speak about it on.

For the "millionth" time.......I do NOT strut :o

sure. it should be fine if you are not too fancy! I'm living with half of that money per months, and have to pay school, electricity, rent, food, etc by myself! Even with that small amount of money, I manage to save quite a lot!But now all gone because of a stupid 'medica' condition that costs me a lot, for no results! But anyway, I'm sure it will be fine :o

sure. it should be fine if you are not too fancy! I'm living with half of that money per months, and have to pay school, electricity, rent, food, etc by myself! Even with that small amount of money, I manage to save quite a lot!But now all gone because of a stupid 'medica' condition that costs me a lot, for no results! But anyway, I'm sure it will be fine :D

That reminds me of the guy who was having trouble with his eyes and could not read so he went to see an optimist. The optimist said, "Don't worry, you'll be fine."

Apologies. :o

That reminds me of the guy who was having trouble with his eyes and could not read so he went to see an optimist. The optimist said, "Don't worry, you'll be fine."

Apologies. :o

Well I'm sorry but I really think it should be allright! I mean, I'm not living bad with not much money!Middle of the city center, town house, internet, electricity, etc! Plus for the food, I very often go eat european so it's not that cheap! I don't know how you guys do to spend so much money in a month over here!

This thread is very informative for a would-be Chiang Mai retiree. I'm wondering how much you would need in the States to have a comparable lifestyle to what $1000 a month provides in Chiang Mai? That would help some of us judge where we're at retirement savings wise. Judging by some responses Chiang Mai sounds like it's comparable in cost to parts of the U.S.. If that's so I may need to look elsewhere. I live in Lubbock, TX which is one of the cheapest metro areas in the country. Pretty certain $1000 a month here wouldn't provide much of a life. Thanks for any advice.

As am example..

Phoenix, December of last year ( actually Glendale..)

Apartment 2 bedroom... rent $ 1,100 mo

Electricty ( cooler months) 150.00

Cable ( cox HD ) 123.00

Qwest Internet 40.00

Gas 1999 Jeep Wrangler 60.00 every 2 weeks

Gas 2005 Vespa PX150 8.00 mo.

These were my basic living costs, not including food or play items.

Here, I'm comfy minus the Jeep and have everything the same and still under 30K mo.

Now I can eat out whenever, travel, booze, etc...

Life for me is so much better here than there...and almost as hot. :o

If you don't mind Thai food, there is nowhere in the US that has food or rent as cheap as Thailand, but, in the US, it is quite easy to be old and lonely. Here, The Thai people give you so much attention, all of the time, that you have to really have something wrong with you to be lonely.

On the other hand, it might make you uncomfortable to be "bothered" all of the time?

Personally, I prefer lots of attention. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

If you don't mind Thai food, there is nowhere in the US that has food or rent as cheap as Thailand, but, in the US, it is quite easy to be old and lonely. Here, The Thai people give you so much attention, all of the time, that you have to really have something wrong with you to be lonely.

On the other hand, it might make you uncomfortable to be "bothered" all of the time?

Personally, I prefer lots of attention. :D

I second that. :o

This thread is very informative for a would-be Chiang Mai retiree. I'm wondering how much you would need in the States to have a comparable lifestyle to what $1000 a month provides in Chiang Mai? That would help some of us judge where we're at retirement savings wise. Judging by some responses Chiang Mai sounds like it's comparable in cost to parts of the U.S.. If that's so I may need to look elsewhere. I live in Lubbock, TX which is one of the cheapest metro areas in the country. Pretty certain $1000 a month here wouldn't provide much of a life. Thanks for any advice.
van, I will bet Chiang Mai is cheaper than Lubbock. For all of us big spenders here, there are many farang who live happily on about $1,000 or $1,300 per month. I went from paying a dollar per square foot for a small apartment in central Houston :o, to paying seven baht per square foot for a nice, spacious, furnished condo in CMai. And that was when there were 42 baht to the dollar.

Besides, I thought the only thing to see in Lubbock was the statue of Buddy Holly. :D

van, I will bet Chiang Mai is cheaper than Lubbock. For all of us big spenders here, there are many farang who live happily on about $1,000 or $1,300 per month. I went from paying a dollar per square foot for a small apartment in central Houston :o, to paying seven baht per square foot for a nice, spacious, furnished condo in CMai. And that was when there were 42 baht to the dollar.

Besides, I thought the only thing to see in Lubbock was the statue of Buddy Holly. :D

Thanks guys for the reassurances! I spent a week of vacation in Lubbock last week. Can't imagine 20+ years doing that!

Thanks guys for the reassurances! I spent a week of vacation in Lubbock last week. Can't imagine 20+ years doing that!
I think the late Molly Ivins said Lubbock was her favorite place, but not many others said so. Even songwriter Mack Davis had an album and song, "Lubbock in My Rear View Mirror"!

I will be 58 next month and I am on a medical retirement. I recieve 2300usd every month and have a large amount of money saved in my annunity as well as property I have up for sale. Yes, I feel a connection with Chiang Mai and its temples. There are a few of us that go to Thailand for the beauty of the country and interact and respect Thai customs and for religious reasons. I drink once in a while like my cigars and like Thai food. I would like to move to Chiang Mai sometime in the near future. I want to know how much start up cost would be. I live very simple would like to rent a house or condo with air and pay my rent on a yearly bases, don't drive and would like to be close to town centre. I live alone and would be spending my time fishing going to temples, as for the bar sene I've been there done it and now its time to move on.

I would like to move to Chiang Mai sometime in the near future. I want to know how much start up cost would be.

Start up cost should be VERY low, if you approach it right. Not much more than for a holiday, actually.

You just start with a simple hotel or guesthouse first, then move to a monthly rate, then perhaps consider finding a house or condo to rent. So with this gradual approach, there's not much of a start-up cost. You just bite off the next chunk when you're ready for it.

( Oh, and don't pay anything on a yearly basis including rent; There's no point in doing that. Why commit yourself to anything? )

I will be 58 next month and I am on a medical retirement. I recieve 2300usd every month and have a large amount of money saved in my annunity as well as property I have up for sale. Yes, I feel a connection with Chiang Mai and its temples. There are a few of us that go to Thailand for the beauty of the country and interact and respect Thai customs and for religious reasons. I drink once in a while like my cigars and like Thai food. I would like to move to Chiang Mai sometime in the near future. I want to know how much start up cost would be. I live very simple would like to rent a house or condo with air and pay my rent on a yearly bases, don't drive and would like to be close to town centre. I live alone and would be spending my time fishing going to temples, as for the bar sene I've been there done it and now its time to move on.

I like your ideas, and the idea of paying rent yearly is a good idea for me, because I have lived here for 23 years and have a good idea of what I want to commit to. But it doesn't make good sense for you to pay yearly until you have already lived here awhile and have looked around plenty already... Month to month is the norm.

Start up costs are not likely higher than B100,000 ($3500US) for the first couple of months... ?

Edited by Ajarn

I like your ideas, and the idea of paying rent yearly is a good idea for me, because I have lived here for 23 years and have a good idea of what I want to commit to. But it doesn't make good sense for you to pay yearly until you have already lived here awhile and have looked around plenty already... Month to month is the norm.

Start up costs are not likely higher than B100,000 ($3500US) for the first couple of months... ?

Almost right on the money in my case Ajarn!

My start up cost was just under B110,000...that was for house ( including deposit ), Vespa, UBC, internet, and a few necessities.

I'm not countin' the 2 weeks in a hotel and rental car to search moobans for the house..that cost was not cheap ( the wife likes to eat out and shop ) :o

, in the US, it is quite easy to be old and lonely. Here, The Thai people give you so much attention, all of the time, that you have to really have something wrong with you to be lonely.

That's the main reason my wife and I are going to retire in Thailand. She wants to have absolutely NO PART of ending up in some nursing home.

The time table:

2012 - House in Khao Yai is paid for.

2014 - We're outta here!!!

I worked in an inexpensive old folks home in San Francisco at one time and they were mostly lonely and miserable. If they realized it, they could be living much better lives for much less in the Land of Smiles! :o

but how does it work out in the Land of Smiles when you are (physically or mentally) not capable anymore to take care of yourself?

I worked in an inexpensive old folks home in San Francisco at one time and they were mostly lonely and miserable. If they realized it, they could be living much better lives for much less in the Land of Smiles! :o

From a financial and friendship basis tthis might be an option, but many older persons would have enormous difficulties in adapting to the climate, the language, the food, etc. They would just end up swapping one set of issues for another.

It is not difficult of expensive to hire a qualified nurse to take care of old folks, but the other things are legit concerns. The best way is probably to retire here when you are young enough to adapt to the culture, language and food and simply employ a helper as you get along in years.

but how does it work out in the Land of Smiles when you are (physically or mentally) not capable anymore to take care of yourself?

In my wife's case, lot's of family in the village to do just that.

It is not difficult of expensive to hire a qualified nurse to take care of old folks, but the other things are legit concerns. The best way is probably to retire here when you are young enough to adapt to the culture, language and food and simply employ a helper as you get along in years.

with all due respect General, Sir... assuming you are old and mentally incapacitated, have no children or mate who can take care of you, who will handle your finances? will a qualified nurse be qualified to draw the necessary dough for living expenses from an ATM? the answer is a clear yes. but will the qualified nurse be qualified and TRUSTED to issue instructions to your bankers? :o

with all due respect General, Sir... assuming you are old and mentally incapacitated, have no children or mate who can take care of you, who will handle your finances? will a qualified nurse be qualified to draw the necessary dough for living expenses from an ATM? the answer is a clear yes. but will the qualified nurse be qualified and TRUSTED to issue instructions to your bankers? :D

I'm not sure that someone in this position would be any better off in his own country. Time to call Doctor Kevorkian. :o

with all due respect General, Sir... assuming you are old and mentally incapacitated, have no children or mate who can take care of you, who will handle your finances? will a qualified nurse be qualified to draw the necessary dough for living expenses from an ATM? the answer is a clear yes. but will the qualified nurse be qualified and TRUSTED to issue instructions to your bankers? :D

I'm not sure that someone in this position would be any better off in his own country. Time to call Doctor Kevorkian. :o

except for Dr Kervorkian i agree.

There is a guy advertising that one can live a simple "western style" lifestyle for $550 US per month. I think that his website is: retireon550amonth.com or something like that.

The OP asked if it was possible to live on US $1000 a month, and many of the members who responded said it would be a problem.

What would the trick be to live on $550 when many of us can't live on $1000? If you go to the website, you will see that there is scrounging here and there, but is that figure at all realistic? Or is it just hype? :o

You can start a website, with advertisers, saying you can live for a pound a day in central London. But you have to buy the cardboard box.

US$550 is 17,325 baht and could soon be 14,211 baht. The question is not only how long the piece of string is, but how comfortable you would feel always getting the short end.

There is a guy advertising that one can live a simple "western style" lifestyle for $550 US per month. I think that his website is: retireon550amonth.com or something like that.

The OP asked if it was possible to live on US $1000 a month, and many of the members who responded said it would be a problem.

What would the trick be to live on $550 when many of us can't live on $1000? If you go to the website, you will see that there is scrounging here and there, but is that figure at all realistic? Or is it just hype? :o

I would guess that he started it when the dollar was stronger and prices were cheaper.

I had a freind who lived well for many years on $500. per month that his mother sent him.