Say No To 'nam Tok'

sbk

Say No to 'nam tok'

Consuming pork noodles made with raw blood could lead to fatal diseases

Say No to 'nam tok'

Published on April 2, 2008

Eating pork noodles made with raw-blood can lead to ear infections - or fatally - meningitis, a senior government doctor said yesterday.

Encephalitis lives in raw blood or uncooked pork. The recipe, better known as "nam tok" (waterfall) does not boil the blood, but merely warms it before it is mixed with soup.

Both diseases are highly infectious during the hot season.

Contraction is possible even if a fresh wound is exposed to fresh pork, said deputy public health minister Chaovarat Chanweerakul.

The bacterium can also cause infection in the ears and even the brain.

"Chronic ear infection can result in deafness and severe infection can lead to meningitis, which can be fatal if proper treatment is not administered within 14 days," he added.

Department of Disease Control deputy director-general Sirisak Warintharawat said cattle farmers were also vulnerable, while slaughterhouse workers and veterinarians were also at risk if exposed to pigs sickened with both diseases, he said.

They can also result in dizziness or sudden kidney failure within three days after contraction.

by Daily Xpress

Source: The Nation

Hello,

so if you eat beef noodles, will the blood be still pork blood? very curious, as gua tioaw nuea nam tok, is one of my favourite lunch dish.

thanks

Timo

I'd like to know too.. I'm not surprised about the raw pork thing as some animals

are just to dangerous to eat raw.

On the other hand raw beef a.ka. steak tartar I have eaten in Korea and France

and never heard any worries....soem raw food enthusiasts say raw turkey is safe too..

I'm confused...I am a regular consumer of Nam Tok Mu but it doesn't resemble the noodle dish mentioned in the article. What I know as Nam Tok, for want of a better description, is more a a pork larb with sliced pork rather than minced pork and eaten with sticky rice and raw veges.

But all my confusion aside, not eating raw pork blood seems like good advice (Though the day someone tells me to stop eating raw fish we're going to have trouble :o )

Hello Chilliwasabi,

as i understand it, please someone correct me if i am wrong. The issan dish you are referring to, has the same kind of problem( it happend to be also one of my favourite dishes). The blood is not entirely cooked, you may call it warmed up. So if it is nam tok muu, it seems to be dangerous, same seems to go for the gua tiao muu nam tok as the cooking or Not cooking method of the blood is the same.

The question is still out there....will the same dishes with beef contain pork or beef blood??

anyone?

regards

Timo

• 3 weeks later...
I'm confused...I am a regular consumer of Nam Tok Mu but it doesn't resemble the noodle dish mentioned in the article. What I know as Nam Tok, for want of a better description, is more a a pork larb with sliced pork rather than minced pork and eaten with sticky rice and raw veges.

But all my confusion aside, not eating raw pork blood seems like good advice (Though the day someone tells me to stop eating raw fish we're going to have trouble :o )

Me too.I make it all the time.I BBQ the meat and slice into thin pieces after it has soaked for a few hours.I call it nam tok because that is what the wife told me it is.next time I make I will post photo of.

As to raw meat of any kind we do not eat.I and the wife do not like the taste and we also think it can not be good for you.