What Day Does Songkran Start In Koh Samui?

Songkran is the absolute best. I love hiding by the side of the road with a bucket full of iced water. When some poor unsuspecting sucker rides by, I appear out of nowhere, and "SPLASH" they dont know whats hit them. By the time they realise whats happened, I am back filling up my bucket. I cant wait

I really enjoy Songkran. It's a great laugh. Everyone is out having fun! Except Birdman, he's at home.

Wanna come? We can make cookies, have a nice cup of tea and later I can show you my stamp collection.

Hi Birdman,

Can I come and see your stamp collection over Songran. Would love to drop a bucket over you and your stamps.

I really enjoy Songkran. It's a great laugh. Everyone is out having fun! Except Birdman, he's at home.

Wanna come? We can make cookies, have a nice cup of tea and later I can show you my stamp collection.

Hi Birdman,

Can I come and see your stamp collection over Songran. Would love to drop a bucket over you and your stamps.

sure come,

dress code: gardener

Edited by Birdman

If i had a carwach company i would love songkran! Day 14 is a busy day to get all the powder from the cars. (And it is important to get it off that day, it does leave nasty marks if you keep it on in the sun).

Then by 15 of maj you still see random Englishmen in their fortuners driving around with leftovers from songkran. :o .

What about the alcohol ban? Any news on that, will it happen? :D .

Edited by mattias33

• 2 weeks later...

I am involved with the Songrkan Music Festival and it will be very different.

This will be a one-off event, combining the best of Samui's DJs who come from various countries, plus Christy's Caberet, a live band, vocalists, and a VIP area. Its will be a culmination of Songkran fun and public holiday.

Not just another rave. Something really special, and the first of an annual event.

Sonkran holiday this year falls on 13, 14, 15 April. Which are the main water days in samui? I was thinking it starts late on 12th and 13th is the main water play day. 14 should be mostly dry excelt for a few <deleted> who don't know when to stop.

Does anyone know for sure?

Not only this year!

Songkran -legal- holidays are from 13 to 15 of April.

Songkran -religious- day being 13th.

Songkran can be fun if you can manage to get to where you want be. Took me over 2 hours to get from Maenam to Chaweng last year. Forward 5 metres, stop 2 or 3 minutes, forward another 3 metres, stop 3 minutes, and so on. Half my day spent going to and from where my mates were. This year I will just have several showers at home with the mrs. More fun :o

Question for anyone well versed in the "Samui way" - I've been looking for accommodation for the 10th - 13 April 2009. There seems to be loads and loads of places available on the net. But being Songkran and the long weekend, do you think it's still absolutely neccessary to book in advance? I'm arriving in Surat Thani the evening of the 10th. Then heading over to Samui, Phangan or Tao. By the time I get to one of those places, do you think it will be possible to find a beach bungalow available? Can a Songthaew driver/cabbie etc be trusted for reliable advice on the request "Aw Bun-ga-low glay haad" ? :o

Question for anyone well versed in the "Samui way" - I've been looking for accommodation for the 10th - 13 April 2009. There seems to be loads and loads of places available on the net. But being Songkran and the long weekend, do you think it's still absolutely neccessary to book in advance? I'm arriving in Surat Thani the evening of the 10th. Then heading over to Samui, Phangan or Tao. By the time I get to one of those places, do you think it will be possible to find a beach bungalow available? Can a Songthaew driver/cabbie etc be trusted for reliable advice on the request "Aw Bun-ga-low glay haad" ? :o

Simple bungalow resort should be available. Better ones are full.

The Songkran activities on Samui will start on the 12th in the afternoon. But I have seen one maybe 5 year old with his water gun on Chaweng Beach Road next to Mama Roma today already. Full blown Songkran will be on the 13 until the last die hards will give it up on 14.

Wow that is great, a real experience of Thai culture with internarional DJ"s & from 6pm when the official water throwing stops.

:o & wonder how they will get around alcohol ban (if it comes into effect),oh I forgot, no problem, this is Samui not Thailand.

Poor Samui, is it ever going to get a break?

In the best of humour Roo, you do like a good whinge don't you?

It will be same same with drunk farangs et al. But seriously you are living in a holiday destination.

Denial is not a river in Egypt.