Ranong Visa Run

Just a quick warning to anyone driving to Ranong for a visa run be aware the Highway Police are very active at the moment.

Yesterday I got stopped for speeding, which I am sure I wasn't, I paid paid 500 baht cash (tea money) or they were going to keep my license, to be collected the next day in Takua Pa. The week before my friend got stopped for overtaking on double yellow lines he paid 1000 baht. In my opinion both offences were just a method for extracting cash. Obviously overtaking on double yellow lines is dangerous but if you've been on the road from Takua Pa to Ranong they are just about everywhere.

On they way back I saw them again but this time I was warned by a number of drivers coming the other way flashing their lights.

Drive carefully and be warned.

A quickie (but a true one)

A few years back, I was driving along the Hua Hin by-pass (between Phetchaburi and Pranburi) and was flagged down by a lone cop in the middle of the road. He told me that 2-3 kms back, he had seen me overtake in the left/inside lane. I asked him how he possibly could have seen that, and he replied 'by our satellite'!! :D

I stared at him, and said you 'don't have any satellites' and kept on glaring at him with a don't you dare lie and try to extort me look. :o

I was waved on!! :D

Edited by Big A

Just a quick warning to anyone driving to Ranong for a visa run be aware the Highway Police are very active at the moment.

Yesterday I got stopped for speeding, which I am sure I wasn't, I paid paid 500 baht cash (tea money) or they were going to keep my license, to be collected the next day in Takua Pa. The week before my friend got stopped for overtaking on double yellow lines he paid 1000 baht. In my opinion both offences were just a method for extracting cash. Obviously overtaking on double yellow lines is dangerous but if you've been on the road from Takua Pa to Ranong they are just about everywhere.

On they way back I saw them again but this time I was warned by a number of drivers coming the other way flashing their lights.

Drive carefully and be warned.

I recived a citation for passing a truck on the double yelow line approching a bridge,just south of Roeit.The fine was 400Thb with the citation, as the cop said a "suvioner".This was july 2007.May 2007 was stopped for doing 80km going out of Bangkok at the last tool both.The posted at the time was 50km.They wanted 1000Thb I ended up paying 500Thb .I really was going 80km

Traffic cops often have officers hidden in bushes etc (and once I saw them using an Ambulance on the approach to Pattaya) some times with radar, radioing ahead to report on traffic violations.

Obviously overtaking on double yellow lines is dangerous but if you've been on the road from Takua Pa to Ranong they are just about everywhere.

Sorry but you just lost your own argument right there. Crossing the yellow lines is breaking the law and the law is there for your own safety. It wasn't tea money being paid by in your mates case, it was a fine for law breaking, and quoting it lends less credibility in your own speeding escapades..

Edited by Digitalbanana

the reason the highway cops are more 'active' right now is of course that Songkran is almost upon us - they must find a way to obtain as much BEER money as possible , forget tea money. I have noticed a pattern where i live , whereby several days before they get their monthly pay cheque - the traffic police are out making random pulls . Almost without fail. Now , i find it funny but i didn't at first .

Edited by Ray1167