Zen And The Art Of Taking With Both Hands

redewenur

Can I buy land and build a house on it?

No.

Why?

Because you are a farang.

But I'm married to a Thai.

Being married to a Thai lady makes no difference.

Nevermind, my wife can buy it...

Yes.

...and later she can use it as security for a loan.

No.

What?

No.

Why?

Because she is married to a farang.

Oh. But if I were a woman and she were a man, no problem then?

Right. No problem then.

I am a woman married to a Thai man and I can't own land either. Don't know about the loan situation, however. That sounds more like bank policy than govermental policy, to me however.

Can I buy land and build a house on it?

No.

Why?

Because you are a farang.

But I'm married to a Thai.

Being married to a Thai lady makes no difference.

Nevermind, my wife can buy it...

Yes.

...and later she can use it as security for a loan.

No.

What?

No.

Why?

Because she is married to a farang.

Oh. But if I were a woman and she were a man, no problem then?

Right. No problem then.

Because you are a farang...hmm..because you are not a thai national is more accurate.There are farang(white dudes) with thai nationality.

You can lease the land for the span of your lifetime and own the house/structures and fixtures. Also the BOI used to have a 40 Million BAHT investment promotion to allow freehold ownership of 1 rai (not sure if this scheme is still in effect however)

I am a woman married to a Thai man and I can't own land either. Don't know about the loan situation, however. That sounds more like bank policy than govermental policy, to me however.

Yes, the land ownership aspect is well known and most would say it's reasonable. The difference is the loan, and I believe the person providing the information is an officer in the land department of the local government office, Lamphun. I could be mistaken, of course. I'll check and get back to you

Edited by redewenur

Because you are a farang...hmm..because you are not a thai national is more accurate.There are farang(white dudes) with thai nationality.

Yes, indeed. But in this case, of course, the officer refers to a farang who isn't a Thai national.

Edited by redewenur

... I believe the person providing the information is an officer in the land department of the local government office...

Ah! These land department guys are little saints, never lie or do anything illegal. Jing, jing! :o

Gov flames MNRE for lack of environmental protection

Charoen told to vacate SorPorKor plots

Anchalee’s husband loses Supreme Court land case

Valentino faces encroachment charges

Gov in drive against encroachment

SorPorKor papers on 3,000 rai revoked

Seized Boonkeng land returned to state

Land probe targets Nai Harn resort

Yes, the land ownership aspect is well known and most would say it's reasonable. The difference is the loan, and I believe the person providing the information is an officer in the land department of the local government office, Lamphun. I could be mistaken, of course. I'll check and get back to you

Well, sbk, you're right about it being a bank policy, but it also appears to be a government policy as the bank in question is not a plc but rather a government service dealing exclusively with loans to assist Thai agriculural workers.

Edited by redewenur

If your an American, try this.

Open a Amity company (no Thai partner required)

Open a Thai company in your wife's name.

Purchace the land with the Thai company in your wife's name

Transfer ownership shares to Amity company.

If your an American, try this.

Transfer ownership shares to Amity company.

An Amity company cannot own land :o

Whilst it is not easy for a Thai - Farang couple to get finance against property (especially bare land) it's not impossible. Try Thai Military Bank or Siam Commercial Bank, they will however expect to see at least some income in your wifes name. :D

Edited by Crossy

My Thai wife bought a rental property (house on 55 wah of land) two years ago. She paid 20% down, bank (SCB) loaned her the remaining balance on 5 year loan. She uses my western name on all documents and she has no earned income. the bank did say 5 year loan was due to her age (older woman) so I would have to agree with solent.

My Thai wife bought a rental property (house on 55 wah of land) two years ago. She paid 20% down, bank (SCB) loaned her the remaining balance on 5 year loan. She uses my western name on all documents and she has no earned income. the bank did say 5 year loan was due to her age (older woman) so I would have to agree with solent.

I actually had to endure the pleasure ( NOT) of sitting in the land office yesterday for two hours to close a house/land purchase.  I think we ended up paying around 15% down ( monthly payments while house was being built in a development) with the rest financed over 20 years.  I did have to sign both the loan papers from the bank and sign again at the land office. Why it took 2 hours when all papers were arranged before we arrived is beyond me, but I saw a lot stamps beling applied, folders of paper being passed back and forth for two hours, then done.  Don't know why we needed to wait around the two hours for the paper shuffle, but we weren't the only ones there waiting patiently. Monthly bank payment should be sllightly less than what the market will bear for rent on a new house in Phuket.